PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Reality Show - Am I dreaming?

Prashun Patel
01-05-2015, 2:43 PM
Have you guys heard about "Framework"?

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned it.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/ngpwca/framework-framework-hits-spike-on-january-6

Matt Day
01-05-2015, 3:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up Prashun!

It sounds very similar to the Ink Master show on the same channel about tattooing.

Time to set up the DVR!

John Pratt
01-05-2015, 3:28 PM
I will be watching it, but I still have an issue with the format of some of these shows. I hate the whole concept of the arbitrary clock. watching people rush and make mistakes (many safety related) makes no sense to me. Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right? I would be the guy who never finished a single project on the show, but I can assure you that what is done is done corectly and safely.

Larry Browning
01-05-2015, 3:32 PM
Maybe like Chopped on the Food Network? Or maybe, like the one SWMBO watches, Project Runway?
That looks interesting. Oh well, just one more way to waste my time in front of the boob tube. (Which I will probably be doing!)

Mike Wilkins
01-05-2015, 3:44 PM
I read about this show in Woodshop News magazine. Sounds like a neat show for us wood butchers. Unfortunately for me, our local cable supplier eliminated Spike TV along with some other popular shows that were popular with viewers. Did not go over very well with a lot of subscribers, prompting many, including me, to consider dropping them in favor of satellite TV.
Gotta love monopolies and the FCC.

Larry Edgerton
01-05-2015, 3:53 PM
Great!

Another program that makes people think I can build a table in 4 hours. From the viewpoint of a guy making a living at this stuff these shows do us no good. And reality? An ironic name for this kind of garbage.

There is a reason we don't have TV in our house any more.......

Rich Riddle
01-05-2015, 3:55 PM
I wonder if they accept nominations from Creekers for competitors. There are many woodworkers in the Creek who can make superb products.

Prashun Patel
01-05-2015, 4:14 PM
I don't see the harm. I'm a huge fan of Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. I love seeing how creative people can be with mid-process handicaps. I love seeing perfect furniture and have Fine Woodworking for that. But, I'm also often in the position of having to do the best with the tools, wood, or time I have. Designing within constraints just tickles my fancy.

I think the show will be wildly interesting...for us! I just can't see how anyone else outside of this community would appreciate it.

Brian Elfert
01-05-2015, 4:22 PM
Some guys I know participated in a reality show that involved building things on a time deadline. They had five days to tape the entire show. One of the guys was seriously injured due to a weld that failed in the build. It is uncertain if the weld failed due to lack of time, or if the welder simply didn't have enough welding experience.

Julie Moriarty
01-05-2015, 4:43 PM
I will be watching it, but I still have an issue with the format of some of these shows. I hate the whole concept of the arbitrary clock. watching people rush and make mistakes (many safety related) makes no sense to me. Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right? I would be the guy who never finished a single project on the show, but I can assure you that what is done is done correctly and safely.

Exactly what I was thinking watching the preview. It seems everything has to be in battle format - battle the clock, crush your competitors, be the meanest and baddest. To apply this to an art that requires precision, patience and skill... :confused:

Mel Fulks
01-05-2015, 5:12 PM
I don't think that format is something I want to watch. Reminds me of when hgtv stopped running the fine gardening show Cathy
Renwald had, and started contests to see who could "plant these azaleas the fastest".

Mel Miller
01-05-2015, 6:29 PM
I watched the preview and definitely won't be watching the show. Like most of that kind of show, there's a bunch of aggressive behavior, language, & competition that I don't find entertaining.

Pat Barry
01-05-2015, 7:44 PM
I doubt its going to be artwork like projects but I'd be willing to watch an episode or two. Note - the last show I watched on Spike TV was the Joe Schmo show. I am hoping they do a sequel to that one.

Wow - I watched the promo and I'm impressed. Thanks for the tip Prashun

Mark Bolton
01-05-2015, 8:20 PM
You know what strikes me as odd about many of these shows? (not that you asked) But,.. most of the US programming for television are plagiarized concepts from abroad. No idea if this is or not but when you watch the programs from abroad the "competitors" laugh, help each other, are amicable, they are somewhat concerned for each other. Then you bring the programming to the US and whether its our society or the producers, it becomes adversarial, confrontational, cut throat, every show must have a fixed dynamic of judges, the sympathetic and the the butt holes.

I cant say I wouldnt watch the show because anything furniture making or woodworking is absolutely amazing to see on TV but with only rabbit ears there is no option for me to watch such a thing which in all actuality is probably a good thing.

Andrew Joiner
01-05-2015, 9:42 PM
I don't see the harm. I'm a huge fan of Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. I love seeing how creative people can be with mid-process handicaps. I love seeing perfect furniture and have Fine Woodworking for that. But, I'm also often in the position of having to do the best with the tools, wood, or time I have. Designing within constraints just tickles my fancy.

I think the show will be wildly interesting...for us! I just can't see how anyone else outside of this community would appreciate it.

Thanks Prashun,
I'm with you.
I love watching anything about making things. Just to see others shops and how they work will be a treat.

Pat Barry
01-05-2015, 9:54 PM
I cant say I wouldnt watch the show because anything furniture making or woodworking is absolutely amazing to see on TV but with only rabbit ears there is no option for me to watch such a thing which in all actuality is probably a good thing.
Actually you will probably be able to watch the episodes on the Spike website a week or two after the TV viewing.

John Sanford
01-06-2015, 2:34 AM
My anticipation of this is a mix of desire and dread. Some of the designs look interesting, hearing and seeing how they work through problems can be interesting, but the real and faux interpersonal drama is a major detraction. I don't mind that it's a competition (although the time limits seem absurd), but yea, I'd much rather see a friendly competition rather than the juvenile posturing and monumental egos.

Who knows, after more than 2 decades, they might have finally come up with a reality show I might watch.

Rick Moyer
01-06-2015, 5:52 AM
My anticipation of this is a mix of desire and dread. Some of the designs look interesting, hearing and seeing how they work through problems can be interesting, but the real and faux interpersonal drama is a major detraction. I don't mind that it's a competition (although the time limits seem absurd), but yea, I'd much rather see a friendly competition rather than the juvenile posturing and monumental egos.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I'll probably watch the first one for the creative intrigue, but I absolutely hate stupid reality show formats so it better be really good to keep me coming back.

Dan Hintz
01-06-2015, 7:13 AM
I went home yesterday all set to add it to the DVR, only to find out our new settop box is having a bad day... kept wanting to reset. Verizon guy isn't scheduled to come out until tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be missing the first show :(

Jim Matthews
01-06-2015, 7:21 AM
You people are crazy.

It's hockey season.
Getcher priorities properly aligned.

The last thing I want to watch is other people working.
The proper use of television is to eat, while
watching other people exercise.

Matt Day
01-06-2015, 7:59 AM
The proper use of television is to eat, while
watching other people exercise.
LOL!

Dan - I think the show will be available to watch online as well, but maybe not right away. So you'll be able to watch it at some point I'm sure.

Bill Gugel
01-06-2015, 8:14 PM
Looks as painful to watch as every other "reality?" show. Too many channels, too little talent.

John Coloccia
01-06-2015, 8:21 PM
You know what strikes me as odd about many of these shows? (not that you asked) But,.. most of the US programming for television are plagiarized concepts from abroad.

I just pray we don't ever steal Eurovision. Whenever one of my European friends starts blabbing on about culture, the mere mention of Eurovision pretty much shuts them up.

Mark Bolton
01-06-2015, 8:49 PM
I just pray we don't ever steal Eurovision. Whenever one of my European friends starts blabbing on about culture, the mere mention of Eurovision pretty much shuts them up.

Yeah, not saying european programming is inherantly better or smarter. Its just a different mindset.

Jerome Stanek
01-07-2015, 7:37 AM
Why do they all it a reality show when every thing is scripted

Bill Huber
01-07-2015, 8:28 AM
Well I watched it last night, lets say I watched as much as I could before I just could not stand it anymore.

It is no different than a ton of the other shows, the smart guys and the dump ones and the fighting back and forth.

I will never watch it again, it just sucked IMHO.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2015, 8:40 AM
I agree. I was foolishly hoping it would be more about the process and product and less about the personalities.

Matt Day
01-07-2015, 8:40 AM
I haven't watched it yet, only the trailer, but I think there may have been some confusion that this is supposed to be a woodworking reality show.

It's not.

Its a furniture building reality competition show. They intentionally pick people who will be overly dramatic so they have some arguments and drama. They work with metal and wood and other materials to build all types of stuff. It's timed to level the field and for drama. Its the same concept as Ink Master. It's not going to be David Marks v Roy Underhill.

I'll probably watch it because I hope to see some level of woodworking and fabrication, my wife will watch it with me, and I might get some ideas for things to build.

Larry Browning
01-07-2015, 8:55 AM
I watched it too. It's just the same as all the other competition reality shows. From Hell's Kitchen to Project Runway, it's the same show, just different props. They find contestants that people will root for and ones that are so obnoxious that you want to watch in hopes they fail. This format is starting to get old. They are going to keep making these type of shows as long as we watch them.

John Pratt
01-07-2015, 9:29 AM
Wow, that was an hour of my life I wont get back. Too bad really, When they showed some of their previous work it looked like some of them had some real talent. I was really hoping they would tap into that and show processes. Thinking back, can anyone name a time in the show (other than the welder) when someone was actually working on their project with a tool?

John Coloccia
01-07-2015, 9:58 AM
What's interesting is if you look at the European version of a lot of these shows, they are quite a bit different. Now understand that I watch almost NO television whatsoever. Every now and then my wife forces me to watch Downton Abbey, presumably because I did something wrong and must be punished, but she usually kicks me out of the room after a few minutes of making fun of all the rich people problems ("Oh dear...who will I marry??? Oh my, I've used the wrong glass!! Scandalous!"). Ahem...anyhow, I'm no authority on TV, but I have seen some of the European version of some of these shows, and they're quite a bit more intelligent. Master Chef comes to mind. I saw an episode of that and it seemed many times classier, and more about the cooking. I was actually able to watch some of that, whereas the US version is just insufferable.

As someone who actually has an attention span, I can't deal with this new method of shooting programs. Jittery cameras, new camera angles every 5 seconds, out of sequence editing to make things look much more dramatic than they really are, etc etc. I would probably watch a lot more television and movies if they weren't just a jumbled mess of chaos and stupidity. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Speaking of cutting tuna with a bandsaw, one movie I saw recently...last year or two...was "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". I found it quite entertaining and actually watched it twice.

Frank Ashmore
01-07-2015, 9:59 AM
Watched the first 6 minutes, no thanks just more junk TV

Wade Lippman
01-07-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm the only one who watched the whole show? Having just made a table for a friend out of old flooring that had sat outside for 50 years (she loves it, I think it is hideous...) I was curious to see what they could make.

Most of their criticism seemed appropriate, including the four (or was it three?) they said were worst. But I couldn't understand the winner. It looked like something little children make out of stuff laying around the basement. Better craftsmanship maybe, but just a total kludge.

I may not watch the whole show next week, but I will try to catch the last 15 minutes.

Larry Browning
01-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I wish they would give them more time and not put all these stupid restrictions on them like having them make something from only what they could salvage from a boat junk yard in, what was it? an hour? You can't really see what their skills are by adding the restrictions.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I wish they would give them more time and not put all these stupid restrictions on them like having them make something from only what they could salvage from a boat junk yard in, what was it? an hour? You can't really see what their skills are by adding the restrictions.

I disagree... part of the "excitement" is seeing what they can do when they don't have access to their favorite wood/tool/Google/etc. At least for me.

What I don't like is when the show trumpets such an episode, only to realize the obviously loaded the junk yard with appropriate items. Like that show Storage Wars where they planted items in each of the storage units. It's either exciting to film or it's not, but don't play it off as "real life" but fake it behind the scenes.

Wade Lippman
01-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I disagree... part of the "excitement" is seeing what they can do when they don't have access to their favorite wood/tool/Google/etc. At least for me.

What I don't like is when the show trumpets such an episode, only to realize the obviously loaded the junk yard with appropriate items. Like that show Storage Wars where they planted items in each of the storage units. It's either exciting to film or it's not, but don't play it off as "real life" but fake it behind the scenes.

Storage Wars would be pretty boring if all they found was old clothes, worn tires and beat up furniture, which if you have ever been to a storage auction you know is all that is ever in them. But that is besides the point.

I didn't see anything they used that couldn't have been found on old boats. But I think they should have given them more time to fine better materials.

There was a show on years ago (Junkyard Wars, or something like that) where they had to build stuff with just what they could find in a junk yard. They always found perfect 12' aluminum tubes and similar stuff. Right.

Mark Bolton
01-07-2015, 12:44 PM
The bit that I watched looks like a group of college ruined art students. If you heard the term "mid century modern" once you heard it 150 times. It one of my pet peeves. I find art academia quite nauseating. I have had friends who have "educated" themselves out of the ability to "make" anything. They get so wrapped up in the academia of it all that their only potential source of income is to become a professor and pass their misery on to the next generation.

The one guy with the beard and mustache seemed to have a pretty nice portfolio but gosh. A couple of the others.. oy vey. One piece I saw was like some home center dimensional framing lumber with horribly cut angle iron legs screwed on the corners. That whole modern style of waterfall boxes elevated on welded box tubing legs, I mean yeesh.

Hard to watch but at least there is something "maker" on TV.

Ole Anderson
01-07-2015, 3:01 PM
I fell asleep after 10 minutes. I have it set to record and might skip through to catch the highlights. Love that DVR!

Stew Hagerty
01-07-2015, 3:33 PM
I have yet to understand why they are called "reality" shows. The is nothing "real" about the situations they set up for the "contestants" to navigate. When was the last time you heard about a bunch of people being stranded on an island? Oh and while they're stranded there they had to do a bunch of weird things that would never really occur and then kick people off the island that they don't like. Or how about a guy who is surrounded by a dozen beautiful women who he gets to share a hot tube with all of them, then date one on one or one on multiples, make out with one after another (and they all know about it), one on one behind closed doors at times (and yes, they know about that too) and yet they still fight & argue over him. Then he gets to just kick one after another off the "reality" show until he narrows it down to just one. Raise your hands guys... Come on... How many of you has this happened to? seriously? no one??? Oh come on, they have to call it a reality show for some reason. right?

Mel Miller
01-07-2015, 3:44 PM
What amazes me that anybody expected this show to be any different from the rest of the "reality show" drivel that is being foisted on the viewers by television producers.
I gave up on them back when the motorcycle & car builders had their early shows. Sure, there were a few interesting projects on the shows, but I quit watching because of the people and how they acted.

Mel Fulks
01-07-2015, 3:54 PM
Stew, I agree with most of your post ,but there is the history of Pitcairn island , and the early history of Australia. Especially Australia, travel agents working for British goververnment "sentence" unpopular people to "paradise" with free beach front property and bring them women and supplies.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2015, 4:05 PM
I think "reality" is a misnomer.

When the term was coined, it referred to shows like Survivor and the Real World, where we watched people live together. In fact, the original American Idol featured a lot of footage of the contestants living together. That format was partially reality tv, and partially game show. Eventually, American Idol dropped the reality portion of their program, but the term stuck, and came to represent all elimination-style game shows.

In fact, I think now all these shows, even the Bachelor or Survivor or Big Brother (by virtue of they're becoming so well understood and game-able) are now just fancy game shows.

Mark Bolton
01-07-2015, 5:21 PM
I have yet to understand why they are called "reality" shows. The is nothing "real" about the situations they set up for the "contestants" to navigate. When was the last time you heard about a bunch of people being stranded on an island? Oh and while they're stranded there they had to do a bunch of weird things that would never really occur and then kick people off the island that they don't like. Or how about a guy who is surrounded by a dozen beautiful women who he gets to share a hot tub with all of them, then date one on one or one on multiples, make out with one after another (and they all know about it), one on one behind closed doors at times (and yes, they know about that too) and yet they still fight & argue over him. Then he gets to just kick one after another off the "reality" show until he narrows it down to just one. Raise your hands guys... Come on... How many of you has this happened to? seriously? no one??? Oh come on, they have to call it a reality show for some reason. right?

I disagree. I mean it is in fact reality but its "produced" reality. The reality is the individuals have a fixed availability to resources (which is decided by producers in hopes to keep the idiots tuning in watching) but it is in fact reality. If it were not reality the time limits would be fake and they would have endless hours to make and pontificate but they dont. The game is rigged but in this format thats where the excitement comes from.

Its no different than an art professor handing each student a shoe box with a fixed set of contents and challenging his students to come up with something innovative using only the contents of that box. He is the producer, and they are the subjects. Its the same format. The part that irritates me a bit with shows like Survivor is that you know full well the producers are watching all along and they are manipulating the playing field (or the board of the game) so to speak and inserting a physical challenge here, and a mental challenge there, to keep the player who are keeping the ratings in the game. They dont want the ugly chick with a flat chest to make it to the end. Nor to they want the drib drab smart player. They want someone who keeps you tuning in.

So it is in fact reality. But its produced reality.

I agree that the time limits are completely and utterly unrealistic and it would be much nicer to get to see an extended time limit and get a glimpse of some craftsmanship. But sadly TV is based on the masses having the attention span of a fruit fly. The people who sit and watch PBS on a saturday and sit through an entire episode of Julia, The Woodwrights Shop, or Tommy Mac, (and taking notes) are an ever shrinking bunch. Its on a minute by minute basis nowadays. And low and behold we have a huge segment of the population trying to de-fund such wonderful programming. Asinine.

John Pratt
01-07-2015, 6:22 PM
how about a guy who is surrounded by a dozen beautiful women who he gets to share a hot tub with all of them, then date one on one or one on multiples, make out with one after another (and they all know about it), one on one behind closed doors at times (and yes, they know about that too) and yet they still fight & argue over him.

Sounds like my regular Friday thru Saturday night. You mean this doesn't happen to you guys too????

Pat Barry
01-07-2015, 8:23 PM
I'm different. I actually liked the show. Being as it was the first episode it was important to introduce the characters so I can see that being the emphasis. It was interesting to see the creativity but given the minimal time they had to actually build its easy to see the actual construction suffered. I am actually looking forward to next few episodes.

Brian Elfert
01-07-2015, 9:06 PM
I disagree. I mean it is in fact reality but its "produced" reality. The reality is the individuals have a fixed availability to resources (which is decided by producers in hopes to keep the idiots tuning in watching) but it is in fact reality. If it were not reality the time limits would be fake and they would have endless hours to make and pontificate but they dont. The game is rigged but in this format thats where the excitement comes from.

Some of the so-call reality shows are essentially scripted. The Duck Dynasty show is in no way reality. The show's producers give the guys an idea for each episode and they run with it. The show has nothing to do with the way they really run their company.

Larry Browning
01-08-2015, 7:48 AM
Some of the so-call reality shows are essentially scripted. The Duck Dynasty show is in no way reality. The show's producers give the guys an idea for each episode and they run with it. The show has nothing to do with the way they really run their company.

I see Duck Dynasty (and several others like it) as a sitcom filmed in "reality" style. I think these are fully scripted shows, with out-takes and re-takes just like any other sitcom. All that is missing is the laugh track.

Mark Bolton
01-08-2015, 8:38 AM

Agreed, I've only seen that show a time or two but would agree completely. I never understood its popularity.

Chris Hachet
01-08-2015, 8:42 AM
Exactly what I was thinking watching the preview. It seems everything has to be in battle format - battle the clock, crush your competitors, be the meanest and baddest. To apply this to an art that requires precision, patience and skill... :confused:

This would be my thought.

Andrew Joiner
01-08-2015, 5:31 PM
I'm different. I actually liked the show. Being as it was the first episode it was important to introduce the characters so I can see that being the emphasis. It was interesting to see the creativity but given the minimal time they had to actually build its easy to see the actual construction suffered. I am actually looking forward to next few episodes.

I liked it as well Pat.

The format was way different than I visualized. Most of us furniture makers probably would've liked it better if it showed each maker in their own shop without the drama. I guess ratings must prove drama sells.
I got stressed out watching as I put myself in the shoes of the makers. What was known about the show before hand? I can imagine the frustration of sharing a shop, but sharing it with competitors would be a nightmare.
The judges comments provoked lots of puzzling looks on the makers faces. I wonder if the rules were vague or variable.

I can totally sympathize with that. I was invited to be in a furniture design contest put on by the Hardwood Institute years ago. There were famous furniture designers and non-famous competing for the awards. The awards were presented at the Waldorf Astoria. My design came in second in the ready to assemble category. It was a table that didn't look like a knock down piece. No one believed it came apart without tools until I showed them. I heard from some judges I would have won if my listed retail price was lower. There was no mention of it but the ready to assemble category was judged on value (low price) as well as looks!

At that time George Nakashima, Sam Maloof, Art Carpenter and Wendell Castle were my heroes. Wendell Castle was there and I got a chance to chat with him. He asked "which design is yours?" I pointed to my table and Wendell said " You should have won, your's is my favorite" That made the whole experience worth it.

Prashun Patel
01-08-2015, 6:51 PM
great story, Andrew. You lived my fantasy.

Harold Burrell
01-08-2015, 9:26 PM
At that time George Nakashima, Sam Maloof, Art Carpenter and Wendell Castle were my heroes. Wendell Castle was there and I got a chance to chat with him. He asked "which design is yours?" I pointed to my table and Wendell said " You should have won, your's is my favorite" That made the whole experience worth it.

Dude...that right there makes YOU a celebrity!

I want your autograph.

Julie Moriarty
01-09-2015, 9:28 AM

The whole thing is made up. They NEED scripts so they know how to play their characters. In real life, they are almost complete opposites of the characters they play.

Do a Google image search for "Duck Dynasty before." The pictures look like they took place in the Hamptons, not the swamps.

Andrew Joiner
01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
great story, Andrew. You lived my fantasy.

Thanks for letting us know about the show Prashun. It helped me remember that old contest. Yes, it was a lucky experience.

Thanks Harold.

Ted Calver
01-09-2015, 1:06 PM
Just watched the first episode and will not watch another. I hate the confrontational drama, loud music, artificial constraints, choppy camera cuts and just about everything else about the reality circus format.

Prashun Patel
01-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Second episode aired this past Tuesday. They had to make a ping pong table. This episode featured again little about the design choices and construction process, and more about the bickering and under-the-bus-throwing abilities.

I have to say, I don't find the judges that illuminating either. I'd figure the two professionals on the panel would critique the joinery, but all they care about is if the table is flat and doesn't wobble during the demo.

Queue the two most attractive, female ping-pong pros, scantily clad to test the products. I couldn't stand it.

And the winning design (I agree it was pretty), had a serious design flaw that was not called out by the judges. I only know this because I accidentally dropped a table leg with a similar grain run-out and it snapped easily.

Anyway, would love to hear others' thoughts.

Andrew Joiner
01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
And the winning design (I agree it was pretty), had a serious design flaw that was not called out by the judges. I only know this because I accidentally dropped a table leg with a similar grain run-out and it snapped easily.

Google Jory Brigham (https://www.facebook.com/jorybrighamdesign) facebook (https://www.facebook.com/jorybrighamdesign) to see the legs Prasun mentioned. Maybe the judges told them more off camera. Maybe they said looks and function score high and long term durability is not a concern?
(https://www.facebook.com/jorybrighamdesign)
Yes, the drama predominated again. I reviewed all the contestants work I could see online. Many have design skills. Some are more like artists. Some have building/maker talent. Outstanding woodworking skills are rare to the group, in my opinion.

If patience under pressure and woodworking/design skills are what the show values I predict Jory will win.

Prashun Patel
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
I too am impressed with Jory. He has no drama for the cameras to show, but you heard no complaints about him as a teammate from his Napoleonic counterpart (who can't help himself but create a wound and then salt it anywhere possible).

Rick Moyer
01-15-2015, 4:47 PM
Sorry, I tried watching the show twice. Made it one minute the first time and deleted it. Tried to watch the second show and made it only a few minutes. I despise the "reality" show format, with all the drama and staged dialog, etc. It wouldn't be sooo... bad if they weren't all copycat shows. Have all the good television writers died off? There used to be good, well written, thought provoking shows whether they were comedies, dramas, or whatever. Now all the shows are all the same crap with different wrapping. No thanks.

Tom Stenzel
01-15-2015, 7:25 PM
Queue the two most attractive, female ping-pong pros, scantily clad to test the products. I couldn't stand it.

I wasn't going to watch but you changed my mind.:p

Thanks,

Tom

Chris Padilla
01-15-2015, 7:53 PM
I'm watching the first show online right now. This scavaging from a boat yard to get material is hysterical but interesting. I'll probably watch it even though I know it is scripted and not even close to reality. I still find it entertaining. :)

Julie Moriarty
01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I watched the first show, well, as much as I could. In the end, that thing made out of a rudder and a mirror I found every bit as bad as the two person rocking chair with the winches, the one that almost broke when the judges sat on it. The rudder-mirror was judged best in show. The guy who made it was the best at bravado and back-stabbing. Coincidence?

Based on the work they showed the contestants had done to qualify them for the show, the format did not allow them to display their talents. To me, that was disappointing. But there's so many of these beat-the-clock shows on TV, TV watching audiences must like it.

Prashun Patel
02-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Ok, so I'm 4 episodes into Framework and am thoroughly disappointed. The only well-designed, well-manufactured stuff on there is the drama. If you watched that show you'd think furniture makers are insecure, critical people who hate everyone else's designs except their own. Even the judges are negative and overly critical.

Enter the Ellen Degeneres design show on HGTV. My WIFE started dvr'ing it (my wife who I don't think has ever set foot into my shop... ;) just because it was Ellen.

That show is great on every level. The designs are great, functional, not just challenging for the sake of it, but with a view to making a piece that a customer with reasonable taste (Ellen) would actually want in her home.

The designers are from different backgrounds, specialize in different media, have different styles, but are darn friendly to each other. They compliment and help each other. My view of the maker community is skewed, but that show mirrors the community here. Each designer gets a 'carpenter' to help them make the stuff (all the designers are hands on too, so there's nothing high-falutin' about it). By and large all the teams work really well together. It's passionate people being passionate about their products - not winning the $100,000 and constantly declaring how they're better than everyone else.

Even if you discount the warm-fuzzies, the show is fun to watch. They're visible about the tools they're using. I know it's product placement, and all that is free advertising, but I don't see Ace Hardware tools all over the place. I see Jet and Festool. I seem them using the tools. I see them using CNC machines and welding, and so many cool things I'd love to try some day.

The judges give very good feedback. They don't have Common giving meaningless criticism just because he wrote the theme song. Ellen D is noticeably absent from the show. She videos herself in to announce the challenge, but doesn't judge. I'm left with the impression that she did this show out of a genuine love of furniture and wanting to give someone a good opportunity. I may be naive, but if the motives were otherwise, I think the show would have looked a lot more like the SpikeTV version.

The only downside is that there are only 7 contestants, so the series will end quickly.

Anyway, check it out.

Bill McNiel
02-03-2015, 11:19 AM
I came across the Ellen show last night, much better than Framework (which I could only watch for about 5 minutes before being totally offended). I fully agree with Prashun's comments/observations.

Give it a try. The designer who was eliminated last night did not solve the for the given criteria and was judged as such. How refreshing.

Matt Day
02-03-2015, 11:52 AM
I've got 2 on the dvr, so good to hear that it's good.

The drama on Framework is over the top, but my wife and are still watching it. Mainly to see whay Jory is working on.

Prashun Patel
02-03-2015, 1:13 PM
And poor Jory. He just wants to make stuff - good stuff. And that punk just keeps trying to drag him into confrontations. I say move Jory to Ellen's show so he doesn't have to make Maloof ping pong tables and hammocks and can start making stuff that'll be used.

Pat Barry
02-10-2015, 8:04 AM
I gave Ellen's show a view last night. I see it as similar to the Framework show, just with less competitors. I like Frameworks personal edginess actually. Having fewer competitors gives Ellen's show (whats it called?) a bit more time to show them work although not much to see there but some of the results are very creative. Anyway - I do like both shows. Looking forward to more episodes of each one. Did anyone find it ironic that the show is about new designs and creativity yet Ellen comes in dressed like she's going to work at the supermarket or something?

Chuck Saunders
02-10-2015, 8:52 AM
I was a die hard Junkyard Wars addict. I was rehabilitated as they moved from using science to make do with what you had (admittedly in a well stocked junkyard) and started adding the conflict and drama. Got to where I couldn't watch it anymore. I like the challenge of make do with a limited resource. Less impressed when it is a obscure requirement (Dinner for 4 using squirrels, barbie doll and a steam iron). The craft is not the focus of the show, merely a backdrop.
Chuck

Mike Cozad
03-06-2015, 8:27 PM
Anyone still watching?

Ted Calver
03-06-2015, 8:50 PM
Yes, but at 4x fast forward through all the BS....yields about 5 minutes of watching. I got 15 minutes of watchable time from Ellen's Design Challenge. EDC had more actual build and design focus and fewer snarky comments and backbiting. EDC did have a strange final episode but I won't spoil it for those who might wish to see it.

Brian Henderson
03-06-2015, 9:50 PM
I was a die hard Junkyard Wars addict. I was rehabilitated as they moved from using science to make do with what you had (admittedly in a well stocked junkyard) and started adding the conflict and drama. Got to where I couldn't watch it anymore. I like the challenge of make do with a limited resource. Less impressed when it is a obscure requirement (Dinner for 4 using squirrels, barbie doll and a steam iron). The craft is not the focus of the show, merely a backdrop.
Chuck

That's how virtually all of these shows are. I used to love Junkyard Wars back in the day, until, as you say, the projects stopped being the reason for the show, just an excuse for the drama. The same used to be true of American Chopper, where the whole point was building custom motorcycles, until it became watching everyone yell at each other. That's why I just refuse to watch any so-called "reality" shows. If I want a woodworking show, give me something like New Yankee Workshop, not "will Norm beat the crap out of Bob Vila with a pipe clamp?"

Prashun Patel
03-07-2015, 12:03 AM
I am with you ted. That final episode was so bizarre. Like "what just happened?" No explanation no nothing. And if I could sell a slab table for 30k as said by the wayfair person, I would quit my day job.

Dan Hintz
03-07-2015, 12:37 PM
EDC did have a strange final episode but I won't spoil it for those who might wish to see it.

Watched that last night... I was like "Did that really happen?" They gave us the 10,000' view, but I really wonder about the details (like what was said in defense). I saw some really interesting concepts/designs coming out of EDC. I'm looking forward to the next one, if they do it.

Ted Calver
03-07-2015, 8:55 PM
Apparently, the EDC show was one of HGTV's best in terms of ratings. Some interesting aftermath:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/03/05/ellens-design-challenge-controversy-comes-to-an-end-as-disqualified-winner-says-he-didnt-copy-design/

Prashun Patel
01-19-2016, 1:56 PM
Season 2 of Ellen's Design Challenge is up and running!

They use some nice tools!

The funny thing is that they pair each designer up with a 'carpenter'. Hope those guys aren't offended! ;)

I wish I had a plasma cutter. Mmmmmm....

Dan Hintz
01-19-2016, 4:19 PM
A couple of the folks they chose this season have some really nice designs... can't wait to see what they come up with.

Caspar Hauser
04-30-2016, 4:23 PM
....If I want a woodworking show, give me something like New Yankee Workshop, not "will Norm beat the crap out of Bob Vila with a pipe clamp?"

I'd pay good money to see that.