PDA

View Full Version : Son in from Army wanted to do a "simple" project -

Keith Hankins
01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Well hope all had a great Holiday season! My son is in the Army and is a EOD which is a bomb tech. He's a devout shooting nut, and is working with guns all the time. I had not seen him in a year since last Christmas.

He was in for most of December, and asked if I had any scrap wood he could use to make a bench organizer for his reloading and gun tools and making circuits for his work, for his bench. He'd come up with a design. Loving the opportunity to do something with him, I decided to kick it up a notch.

So we got some cherry ply, and I pulled some cherry stock out of my pile. After gluing up the bottom edging, thought to myself that's not enough. So, decided for the top's, to use the morticer to put some squares on a 45 to form diamonds and attach with screws, and plug with walnut. Have to admit looked good

My son's design, had little trays or boxes in the top to hold this and that. I decided that was not enough, so put some boxes together that slip in and out.

finally what to do for the box lids. Plain old cherry just did not seem enough, so I dug a piece of bubinga veneer and attached to some 1/2" ply and wrapped in cherry.

Topped it off Charles Neil's cherry dye mix of general finishes dyes blended, and for top coat, general finishes high performance satin.

He did a good portion of the work and gained an appreciation on what sanding really is all about. He also learned that cherry ply if sanded too much will sand through. Had a couple oops's but not bad and he truly loved it and said it was way above what he ever imagined it would be. We made two. He wanted to give one to his team leader who has done so much for him and will love it too.

For the final touch, signed both copies with both our names and the date. Was a great time I will treasure, and he can have that for long after i'm worm bait.

Pic's of the finished project.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6QhC2G

Dave Aronson
01-05-2015, 1:08 PM
Wow, awesome!

Larry Edgerton
01-05-2015, 1:49 PM
Father and son thing is cool...... Very nice!

I have three girls, and I do mean girls so no projects in my workshop. Dad, can you build me.............

Anthony Whitesell
01-05-2015, 2:19 PM
Very nice. I enjoy working with my father. As I, too, have a girl I get a lot of "Dad, can you build me..." But I retort, "not unless you help." She has her own socket, wrench, and screwdriver sets. As the holiday vacation was winding down she asked for her own hammer and saw. Somehow I don't think the plastic 'toy' workbench is going to hold up to that. I think I have another project on the horizon.

james glenn
01-05-2015, 2:40 PM
That is an amazing piece, and I imagine the chance to work with your son was the best part. That experience is something I am sure most of us hope for.

scott vroom
01-05-2015, 3:39 PM
Beautiful!

Eric DeSilva
01-05-2015, 5:08 PM
Nice job! I'm curious though--are the cut-outs on the center of the table intended for specific tools or as part holders?

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2015, 5:31 PM
That looks really nice, and it was a great bonding moment.

I have to admit though that I don't know what you do with the bench.

Could you explain a bit about what it holds and what they're used for?

Thanks, Rod

Ellen Benkin
01-05-2015, 6:13 PM
Anthony,

Great response for your girl who will now know how to take care of herself in the shop. In fact, "not unless you help" is a great response for both boys and girls.

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2015, 7:01 PM
Anthony,

Great response for your girl who will now know how to take care of herself in the shop. In fact, "not unless you help" is a great response for both boys and girls.

My youngest daughter likes woodworking, however she lives in an apartment so she uses my shop.

Last autumn Michelle completed a red oak dining for her place. At her Halloween party non of our guests believed she made it. I had to send some photographs so they could see that she actually made it. Apparently furniture only comes from Ikea.

Michelle recently completed her qualification run on the sliding shaper so she's now OK to use all the machines in the shop..........Rod.

Keith Weber
01-05-2015, 9:16 PM
Topped it off Charles Neil's cherry dye mix of general finishes dyes blended,...

Keith, I love the color. Could you elaborate on the above statement? Did you mix different products?

Bill Space
01-05-2015, 9:53 PM
Very nice! Excellent! Impressive! Great project and glad you could spend some quality time with your boy!

Wish I could understand what it is used for!

Thanks for sharing!

Bill