PDA

View Full Version : Another Router Question thread

Aaron W. Gonya
07-22-2005, 1:01 AM
Sorry to start another Router thread but I have a question to ask,

I have a basic P-C 690 with the 1001 base, And I'd like another motor and a plunge base. I'm pretty well set on another 690 type router, $ is an issue here.:rolleyes:

Here is the question, I have seen quite a few good deals on 693LRPK kits over on, well, the auction site. Is there a reason so many new kits are over there? is the 693LRPK discontinued? as far as I can tell the only drawback to it is the lack of variable speed.

I've allmost bought one now several times, I guess I'm looking for a second opinion before I hit the botton.:o

Thanks in advance!

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-22-2005, 1:17 AM
I think I'd consider the lack of variable speed a BENEFIT with PC, since they seem to have problems making a speed control that works reliably. :mad:

KC

Mark Singer
07-22-2005, 8:00 AM
For I similar priced router I perfer the Bosch 1617....very smooth and quiet.. I have this now and had the PC....its like a different class.

Jim Becker
07-22-2005, 10:17 AM
I would suspect that the venerable 690 series may go away at some point since the two-year old 890 series is the better product to replace it, especially with B&D now in charge. Two competing products in the same brand line costs money and corporations are always trying to drive out cost. But I could be wrong...

As to the kits...they are the best buy, IMHO!! PC, Dewalt, Bosch, etc. The kits are the way to go.

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
For I similar priced router I perfer the Bosch 1617....very smooth and quiet.. I have this now and had the PC....its like a different class.Amazon/Toolcrib catalog shows it at $194, which isn't bad...anybody know of a better price?

Mark Singer
07-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Ar $209 you get both bases! That is a great combo!
Amazon/Toolcrib catalog shows it at $194, which isn't bad...anybody know of a better price?

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Ar $209 you get both bases! That is a great combo!That $194 price from Amazon is for both bases.

Steve Evans
07-22-2005, 3:28 PM
I just checked Amazon and they're showing $209 for the evspk. Wait an hour and it'll probably change again. Or you can buy a refurb from Bosch for $180. Same warranty but they charge almost $20 shipping so that appears to be a wash.

Steve

Steve Evans
07-22-2005, 3:36 PM
Just checked Toolking and they sell the refurb for $169 + $7 shipping (to MI). Looks like a better deal.

Dan Forman
07-22-2005, 3:37 PM
I think you are seeing them on eBay because Delta was giving them away as part of the "X package" on it's premium tools.

Dan

Aaron W. Gonya
07-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the advise,
I think I might pick up the 693 Kit, But I'll have a look at the Bosch before I spend any money. :rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
07-22-2005, 11:42 PM
I am in the market for a new router combo as well. The Bosch and Dewalt PK kits are pretty much tops in the kits. They are great values in that arena. I tried out both of them and I liked both. I liked the plungers on both. I think the wood handles on the bosch are a nice touch, but I liked the feel of the dewalts handles best and like the low center of gravity the Dewalt seemed to have. Just felt bettter. Check out http://www.patwarner.com on some good advise on routers.

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-23-2005, 12:20 AM
I bought the P-C 694VK kit a while back at the orange borg, and have been real happy with it. As I understand it, it's the 693 kit with a variable speed motor. I've used it both in my router table extension on the TS and standalone in the plunge base. Part of the appeal of this kit was leaving the fixed base attached to the RT, and using the plunge base for off-the-table routing. As far as the variable speed is concerned, I may be missing some information, but I have yet to see a need for any speed other than "wide open" for my uses. The 690 series is not as powerful has the bigger boys, but I'm not doing daily production work, so couldn't justify the additional expense. It goes through hard maple, walnut, purple heart, bloodwood, and other exotics as easily as pine.

My prior router is a 25-year-old Craftsman, so in comparison the P-C seems a lot smoother and quieter. I really like the soft start. I have no experience with the Bosch routers, although other Bosch tools I've used (including my power planer) have been nice.

- Vaughn

alerin nicol
07-23-2005, 12:14 PM
You may want to go with a 890 kit because the bases are interchangeable. That way yoiu could mount one fixed in a table. Just something else to look at. OH yeah and from what i have heard PC routers are very safe from being disconntinued from the B&D takeover.