PDA

View Full Version : Funeral March of a Marionette

Jim Koepke
01-04-2015, 2:42 PM
If you are of a certain age you have likely heard a part of this piece without knowing its name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5pqhS5Ozw

One of my favorite quotes from the program:

"These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the manmade sound never equalled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig."

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
01-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Being of Scots heritage, the pipes are one of the sweetest and most stirring sounds.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Being of Scots heritage, the pipes are one of the sweetest and most stirring sounds.

Dave, I hope I didn't offend you. If I did I am sorry. I do like some bagpipe music and listen to the Wicked Tinkers at times. Though they may not be considered traditional Scots music.

My wife claims heritage to clan Buchanan. She thought it was kind of funny, but then I also told her about the speaker who said it.

I was reading an interesting account of the TV program he hosted. His comments at the open, during and at the end of his show were recorded in batches with no connection to the program and then inserted the individual programs on tape.

I was wondering if anyone recognized the tune and could associate it to the program.

Another of his parting segments:

"I have lost a lot of weight of late. I can not say how much weight I have lost, only that if I lose 10 more pounds I shall have to file a missing persons report."

jtk