PDA

View Full Version : Easy Wood Tools - What Size?

Jim Eller
01-04-2015, 2:21 PM
After 40+ yearsof building square stuff, I'm going to try going round.

I am planning on picking up a Jet 1221vs next week. I have ordered a NovaInfinity chuck and now I need to decide on tools.

I have done a lot of research and it seems that the carbide tools are moreforgiving for a beginner. So my question is. What size do I startwith using the Jet 1221vs? My thoughts are to go with the full size setand buy smaller stuff as needed.

Suggestions? Comments? Criticism? ????

Thanks in advance.

JimE

John Thorson
01-04-2015, 3:13 PM
The size of the tool has more to do with the type of turning than it does with the size of the lathe. The standard sized tools will be what you want unless you are going to specialize in pens, finials or other smaller sized / smaller details turnings.

Doug Ladendorf
01-04-2015, 3:19 PM
I made some of my own and bought the EWT cutters. They are good for starting out, you can produce some nice things quickly. The mid sized tools are probably fine to start. What do you want to turn? You will want some other tools as well to compliment them. I would recommend a parting tool right away, and add a roughing gouge and spindle gouge next.

Doug

David Bassett
01-04-2015, 3:50 PM
I have the Midi-Size and they are about the same size as most of the modern tools I have. They are longer than a few new ones and all of the older spindle tools I've seen. As I (slowly) get better I find myself "choking up" on my tools more and using finese rather than muscle. With that in mind, the Easy Starter tools might be right as you get started and then you could branch out, or add traditional tools, when you see short comings for the work you do. The Easy Starter tools use the same cutters, but are smaller, have a lower level of finish, and are a (lot) cheaper. Hope this helps, but the bottom line is the "right" tools for you depend on what you're doing and how they feel to you. (A class or club where you can try different things before you decide would probably help more than Internet comments.)

Jim Eller
01-04-2015, 5:09 PM
[QUOTE=David Bassett;2355840 The Easy Starter tools use the same cutters, but are smaller, have a lower level of finish, and are a (lot) cheaper. )[/QUOTE]

David,

Is this(Easy Starter) a brand name? I did a search and didn't find any thing. I know the Easy Wood stuff is not really "cheap".

JimE

Robert Henrickson
01-04-2015, 5:20 PM
The name is Easy Start, made by Easy Wood Tools. They are less expensive than the midsize or full-size EWT but not low priced.

John M. Smith
01-04-2015, 6:10 PM
I tried an easy start and returned it the same day. Way to short. Made turning difficult because you don't have much of a handle for leverage. I would suggest the mid size to start.

Stan Smith
01-04-2015, 6:15 PM
I have the Midi-Size and they are about the same size as most of the modern tools I have. They are longer than a few new ones and all of the older spindle tools I've seen. As I (slowly) get better I find myself "choking up" on my tools more and using finese rather than muscle. With that in mind, the Easy Starter tools might be right as you get started and then you could branch out, or add traditional tools, when you see short comings for the work you do. The Easy Starter tools use the same cutters, but are smaller, have a lower level of finish, and are a (lot) cheaper. Hope this helps, but the bottom line is the "right" tools for you depend on what you're doing and how they feel to you. (A class or club where you can try different things before you decide would probably help more than Internet comments.)

When I heard about carbide tools I was anxious to try them out. I started with a pen rougher and a couple of the EWT starter tools. I did order a 5 tool set of Harrison carbide tools. I use these a lot more than the EWT starter tools which are fine for pens and really small stuff. I have an EWT parting tool and mid size detailer. I use these 2 a lot . You are correct in saying that the learning curve for carbide tools is easier than traditional tools. When I first tried the carbide tools, I thought that's all I would use but I went back to the traditional and even bought some new great quality gouges from Doug Thompson. I learned a lot from watching youtube carbide tool demos. There are many many youtube demos for various kinds of tools. I recommend watching some. A lot of people run out and buy a whole bunch of tools even before they start. I did and don't recommend that at all. You will definitely need a roughing gouge right away and maybe a parting tool depending on which carbide detailer you get. I like EWT the best for that tool.

David Bassett
01-04-2015, 6:22 PM
David,

Is this(Easy Starter) a brand name? I did a search and didn't find any thing. I know the Easy Wood stuff is not really "cheap".

JimE

I'm sorry, I didn't cut and paste and got it wrong when I retyped it. Easy Start is a EWT entry line. Looking at Woodcraft as an example, they're 1/2 the price of the mid-size EWT tools. The handles don't have the second flare and are shorter, I think. The shafts are significantly shorter. I'd think they'd be fine for spindle work though. You should try to handle them before you decide, or at least read the specs carefully.

BTW- I have a vague recollection of seeing seemingly identical tools under a store brand, but don't remember where. (Parkard? Benjamin's Best? Sorry, but seems like it was a similar price point anyway.)

(ETA: a couple sentences I lost when my submission glitched.)

Jim Eller
01-04-2015, 7:16 PM
[QUOTE=David Bassett;2355924]I'm sorry.QUOTE]

You're forgiven.:)

Jim Eller
01-04-2015, 7:48 PM
I recommend watching some.

Stan,

Thanks for the tool history experience. As for videos, I have watched so many, I feel like I've been a turner for years. Plus this recliner is giving me bed sores.

JimE

Thom Sturgill
01-04-2015, 7:55 PM
I'm going to be a contrarian here - While I have, and use, spindle roughing gouges, I find that a heavy bowl gouge works as well or better for smaller spindles. I would definitely use an SRG for roughing anything over about 2" diameter.

Rick Fisher
01-04-2015, 8:48 PM
Hey Jim

I went round about 6 weeks ago..

I would really stress the value of lessons. I took a 5 hour class, 1-on-1 first, and a 2 hour class by another fella afterwards. Really valuable information and feedback ..

On tools, I ended up buying one Carbide tool to try to deal with bowl tear out. Its an easy wood finisher with the big red handle. Its a nice tool, I use it often, but its not my favorite.

These are my favorite tools and in this order; ( bear in mind, I am a noob )

#1 Sorby 1" Round nose scraper
#2 Crown 1/2" Bowl Gouge
#3 Sorby 1/2" Fingernail Bowl Gouge
#4 3/8" Bedan
#5 5/8" P+N Bowl gouge
#6 Easy Wood Finisher, large, Red Handle

Gouges work way better than the carbide tools for making bowls in my limited opinion ..

Jim Eller
01-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks Thom andRick.

I was of the impression that having the basic three Easy Wood tools would getme started quicker in a positive direction. I have avoided getting alathe forever, because............ it basically scares the hell out ofme. With my guards in place, even my table saw does throw missiles atme.............. or "catch". Overall, it's probably safer thanmost of my stationary power tools. Just have to get use to it.

That's one reason I want to start with a midi lathe. My original thought was to go big and get it over with.

JimE

Robert Henrickson
01-05-2015, 8:32 AM
I'm going to be a contrarian here - While I have, and use, spindle roughing gouges, I find that a heavy bowl gouge works as well or better for smaller spindles. I would definitely use an SRG for roughing anything over about 2" diameter.

I do the same.

Bruce Lewane
01-05-2015, 9:00 AM
I have the midi sized Easy rougher and finisher which mainly gets used for roughing out bowls. They are the right size for what I'm doing and cutters from Captain Eddie are a bargain. For finish cuts I use a Hunter Osprey Carbide or a traditional 1/2 inch bowl gouge depending on the nature of the wood i'm turning. Actually, the type of tools I use depends on what I'm trying to accomplish and the nature of the wood. I will say the Easy tools getting you up and running quickly.

Louis Harvill
01-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Easy wood tools? I could not use cut off tool with out insert popping out on dry white oak / dry hard rock maple. These tools might be of on green wood / soft woods but on the real stuff no way! Buy real tools and get real lessons on how to use / sharpen them. Put your time in and you will never want to do anything else. Forget the short cuts.

louis

Rick Fisher
01-06-2015, 3:35 AM
Thanks Thom andRick.

I was of the impression that having the basic three Easy Wood tools would getme started quicker in a positive direction. I have avoided getting alathe forever, because............ it basically scares the hell out ofme. With my guards in place, even my table saw does throw missiles atme.............. or "catch". Overall, it's probably safer thanmost of my stationary power tools. Just have to get use to it.

That's one reason I want to start with a midi lathe. My original thought was to go big and get it over with.

JimE

Jim, in my limited opinion.. its just the same as the rest of woodworking. You do what your comfortable with .. start slow. Its not that dangerous if your careful, just like using a Jointer or a Table Saw.
One thing I have really noticed is that its really messy .. I have never seen my shop so dusty. I have to figure out some type of DC .. I also have to remember to wear a mask .. Sanding on the lathe is the biggest issue for dust. Its fun, and effective, but its really quite bad for your health if you aren't careful. Its on my list of things to address.

I have no regrets getting into it .. I have a 1hp Lathe with a 12" max diameter.. It has a 24" bed. I have worked the motor hard enough to have the drive shut it down on several occasions. I could see wanting bigger, but will just be happy with what I have.

Tim Passmore
01-06-2015, 6:59 AM
I have the mid-size rougher and finisher and used them almost exclusively when I started turning. One year+ later I seldom pull them out of the rack. They were great to get me started (hooked), but I soon discovered that I needed to learn to use gouges and scrapers (along with others) if I wanted to refine my skills. This also forced me to learn how to sharpen and shape my tools. Good luck wth the journey and welcome to the vortex!

Joe Bradshaw
01-06-2015, 7:59 AM
Jim, remember that you are only one tool away from excellence.
Joe

Jim Eller
01-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Update - Picked up the Jet 1221vs at my local Woodcraft today.

Got to talking to the owner about Easy Wood Tools. When we loaded the lathe in the truck he said, "Here, try these". He gave me the three basic full size EasyWood Tools to try before I buy. They use them in the classroom.

Got home to setup the lathe and decided the place I had planned on was too highfor me. So, I broke out the lumber and started building a stand.

Should be in action in a couple of days.

Thanks to all for your willingness to help.

JimE

Ps: Joe - I'm always one tool away from what I think I need to complete my collection. It helps to keep my sock drawer stash from building too fast.

Rick Fisher
01-08-2015, 3:23 AM
Sounds like a good type of guy to buy stuff from .. I love retailers like that .. Glad you support him ..

Jim Eller
01-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Sounds like a good type of guy to buy stuff from .. I love retailers like that .. Glad you support him ..

Ya, It makes it hard to go somewhere else if I buy Easy Wood Tools. I wonder if that what he was thinking when he gave them to me to try. :):)

Randy Red Bemont
01-09-2015, 8:27 AM
Please post back with how you like the tools. They are on my "to buy" list when I get a lathe.

Red

James Combs
01-09-2015, 9:57 AM
I have a set of the midi EWT tools plus a full set of the standard tools. That being said if I had it to do over again I wood have been a little more selective. The carbide tools have their uses as do the standard tools but the main thing I would have done is purchased only the EWT detailer(diamond pointed), a thin parting tool then selective gouges. Any additional carbide tools I would make on my own as in this one, a mid size pen tool (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225982-Another-Shop-Made-Carbide-Tool&p=2358218#post2358218). I have also made full size carbide(similar to red handled EWT) tools in the finisher and rougher category, if interested you can find them in my past threads. They are not that hard to make if you have a hack-saw, a grinder and/or a belt sander. I have seen where others have made up the steel shaft with the cutter attached and used that to turn a handle but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jim Eller
01-11-2015, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the advice James. Nice looking tools.

I tried the EWT tools. Seem to work good for a rookie. ............... so far.

JimE

Jim Eller
01-11-2015, 7:17 PM
Not the final design. Just first ever lathe project. Practice run with loaned EWT tools.

Still looking for a 120v light to put in them. I'm starting Christmas early this year.

JimE

Randy Red Bemont
01-11-2015, 7:42 PM
I like those. What a great idea.

Red

Jim Eller
01-11-2015, 8:24 PM
I like those. What a great idea.

Red

Thanks. Hopefully the final design will look more like a lighthouse instead of a beer mug. When I hone my lathe skills.

JimE