PDA

View Full Version : Got a Flu Shot but I have "Mild" Flu Symptoms

Andrew Joiner
01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I got a flu shot in October. A few days ago I was so tired I skipped my daily exercise. I've been too tired to work out and slightly achy but that's it, no fever.

Today a doctor on the news said " you can still get the flu even if immunized, but it's usually a milder case"

That's probably what I have. I need to rest, but exercise elevates my mood and I miss it.

Hope everyone here is healthy.

Jerry Thompson
01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Who knows what is happening. Several years ago I started hitting a "Wall," around 2PM. I felt tired all of the time. Then my muscles in my legs got weak to the point if I put my weight on one leg for over a min. it would collapse. I should have known, being an RN, that the Simvastatin I was placed on for high cholesterol was the culprit. I further read several books and a physician friend of mine said that "2#5!" is poison. I stopped taking it. I have now regained my energy and no muscle problems.
I would read up on any medications you may be taking and consult a Pharmacist about your meds. They know more about side effects an interactions that most Dr's.

Andrew Joiner
01-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks Jerry, that's a good point. Fortunately, I'm not taking any medications.

Jim Koepke
01-04-2015, 12:32 PM
I have not had a flu shot in years.

My understanding is one of the problems with flu shots is they can only deliver four different variations of the flu virus. To make the vaccine a decision is made a year in advance as to which flu varieties will be included in the vaccine.

If you are exposed to a different variety you have no immunity built up.

This could be totally wrong, but it is how it was explained to me.

Here is an article I just found with a search on > flu vaccine < that may explain what we may expect:

http://gizmodo.com/why-the-flu-vaccine-doesnt-always-work-1677122912

jtk

Jason Roehl
01-04-2015, 1:49 PM
I prefer to stay active, eat (mostly) healthy, and not get too crazy about sterilizing everything around me so that I have a good, strong immune system. It's been a long time since I've had the flu, and I never have gotten the shot.

Bruce Page
01-04-2015, 2:03 PM
I've had one mild cold since retiring 4 years ago. I would get a cold or flu 1-2 times a year when I was working.
Retirement is good.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2015, 2:06 PM
The decision on which strain of flu virus to make a vaccine for is made months in advance so they have time to produce the vaccine. Recent news articles have indicated that the experts say this year that the dominant virus for which they made the vaccine has mutated dramatically, thus the flu shot will help but won't prevent you from getting the mutated form BUT should reduce the severity.

I worked in hospitals for over 30 years and I managed to not contract flu or Hepatitis though some of my coworkers did. Good health habits including washing your hands frequently and avoiding crowds during the seasonal illnesses helps!

Matt Day
01-04-2015, 2:34 PM
+1 for what Ken said. They missed the flu strain this year. I had the flu a few weeks ago and had gotten a shot, which is pretty common this year.
I don't want to turn this thread into one about the yahoos that don't believe in vaccines, but flu shots can help keep the virus from spreading in the general population - referred to as herd immunity. So it's a good idea for you and the community to get the shot.

Jim Koepke
01-04-2015, 2:59 PM
flu shots can help keep the virus from spreading in the general population - referred to as herd immunity.

My understanding is a threshold percentage of people getting a flu shot is effective in stopping the spreading of flu virus through the general population.

In the current case it seems one of the viruses included in this years flu mix mutated before the vaccine was complete. So people can still become ill from the mutated form, but the vaccine will have some effect and should make the illness less severe.

jtk

Andrew Joiner
01-04-2015, 3:38 PM
Now I feel like I have a mutated form inside me!:)
A mild case of the flu sounds better so I'll go with that.