PDA

View Full Version : Are Hand Tool Designers Canine?

Mark Blatter
01-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Am I the only one that believes the designers of all hand power tools are dogs at heart? I wonder about this because every time I use a hand power tool, sanders, routers, jig saws, etc. I get a blast in the face from the fan. I was using an orbital sander today and once again, had to hold it carefully or I would get a face full of wind. I then used a jig saw and the same thing happened. While not as strong, I have the same issues frequently with my Dewalt drivers. I am ready to simply give in and become a lefty.

So I ask, am I the only one that has this problem?

John A langley
01-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Being a lefty is not so bad

Brian Henderson
01-04-2015, 3:59 AM
Being a lefty is not so bad

Oh yes it is. I'm a lefty and in the past couple of days, I've ended up in the shop late night, when the ambient air temperature is in the upper 30s. My DeWalt ROS exhausts freezing cold air straight onto my hand every time I used it. Since my hand was the only part not covered up, it's pretty darned uncomfortable!

lowell holmes
01-04-2015, 7:54 AM
I've never noticed that with my Rigid sander. Of course, it really doesn't get cold in Galveston County.

peter gagliardi
01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
A lot of the Euro machines are better about this- Lamello, and Festool have it figured out

Jim Finn
01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
I have a piece of masking tape over the offending air outlet on my corded shop drill for this reason.

Scott Ticknor
01-04-2015, 1:47 PM
The worst for me is my Makita belt sander, it has a fan port at the top of the machine. A custom duct tape fan port deflection louver saves the day.

Robert Willing
01-04-2015, 2:50 PM
Oh yes it is. I'm a lefty and in the past couple of days, I've ended up in the shop late night, when the ambient air temperature is in the upper 30s. My DeWalt ROS exhausts freezing cold air straight onto my hand every time I used it. Since my hand was the only part not covered up, it's pretty darned uncomfortable!

Brian

I can't imagine working in the 30's. I keep my shop at 60 year-round that's because I live in the UP of Michigan, just think tomorrow we will have -17 not including wind chill. I have never had a problem with any of my power tools with the fan keeping me too cold. I guess when you live in a refrigerator nothing is too cold. All is relative when you think about it. :)