PDA

View Full Version : Best method to back this cabinet door with wood?

Mike Dowell
01-03-2015, 8:51 PM
My wife came across this little oak door in which she would like me to build a small cabinet to use with. The door has openings and she'd like there to be a wood backing on it so that you can't see what's in the cabinet. Obviously this door will be hinged to the cabinet and I'm trying to figure out the *simplest* way to apply wood to the back of the door.

I thought about gluing veneer to it but I figured that would be a bit on the flimsy side.

1/4" plywood is too thick although I suppose I could route out the insides and recess the plywood into the back of the door - although that seems like a lot of work. I feel like there's an option I'm not considering. Can you all fill in the blanks?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_EvGF7h9JrxWXgweVNVN25OX1k/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_EvGF7h9JrxYXB1UmhCU1dINm8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_EvGF7h9JrxQ0p2b3dQVWtBUDQ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Jerry Miner
01-03-2015, 9:01 PM
Why not apply 1/4 ply that is cut 7/8 or so short of the door edges, creating a small rabbet, so the door can sit flat on the cabinet face when closed (& overlay the face by 3/4) & the 1/4 is only exposed when the door is open? A dark stain/finish on the edge of the ply will disguise the fact that it is ply.

Mike Dowell
01-03-2015, 9:26 PM
Why not apply 1/4 ply that is cut 7/8 or so short of the door edges, creating a small rabbet, so the door can sit flat on the cabinet face when closed (& overlay the face by 3/4) & the 1/4 is only exposed when the door is open? A dark stain/finish on the edge of the ply will disguise the fact that it is ply.
So then build the cabinet with the shelves recessed 1/4"?

Brian Henderson
01-04-2015, 4:03 AM
You don't show the back of the door, was there ever a glass panel in it or anything, or was it always just an open door? If it had a glass panel, the solution is obvious, just cut to fit the panel. Maybe if you posted a picture of the back, we could be more helpful.

Chuck Hart
01-04-2015, 4:16 AM
You would want the shelves a bit recessed. Think of the door closing on a face frame. The shelves would be flush with the face frame. I would think a frosted glass would be nice also.

Mike Dowell
01-04-2015, 8:00 AM
You don't show the back of the door, was there ever a glass panel in it or anything, or was it always just an open door? If it had a glass panel, the solution is obvious, just cut to fit the panel. Maybe if you posted a picture of the back, we could be more helpful.

First link is the back. I think this was built not as a door, but as just some decorative piece to hang somewhere. There only place that is recessed is the oval part in the center which had a cardboard backing inside. I suppose you could install a mirror or something in there. But my wife wants it backed in wood entirely and not just in the oval cutout.

Mike Dowell
01-04-2015, 8:03 AM
You would want the shelves a bit recessed. Think of the door closing on a face frame. The shelves would be flush with the face frame. I would think a frosted glass would be nice also.
Good thoughts... I like the glass idea too.

Brian Henderson
01-04-2015, 1:09 PM
First link is the back. I think this was built not as a door, but as just some decorative piece to hang somewhere. There only place that is recessed is the oval part in the center which had a cardboard backing inside. I suppose you could install a mirror or something in there. But my wife wants it backed in wood entirely and not just in the oval cutout.

Okay, I see it now, it all looked like it was from the same side. Probably your best bet is to grab a router and a non-bearing straight cutting bit and shave down the oval part to the same depth of the recess. It honestly shouldn't take that long to do IMO.