PDA

View Full Version : Granite Router Bits

Raymond Fries
01-03-2015, 5:09 PM
Anyone use one of these to put a profile on marble?

If so, how did it do?

Thanks

Peter Quinn
01-03-2015, 5:58 PM
Id guess just fine, marble is a lot softer, but aren't the granite bits spun in a special tool? like these.....https://www.regentstoneproducts.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=004MS0100B000000

Bill White
01-03-2015, 6:27 PM
Water cooled with a relatively slow feed rate. Marble is soft and prone to shatter.
Bill

Raymond Fries
01-03-2015, 6:40 PM
Well I do not have a water cooled router. I have a DW625. So I guess it will not work. I was looking at bits on Amazon and got the idea for some scrap pieces.

Jamie Buxton
01-03-2015, 7:26 PM
Many years ago I used a belt sander to round over the edge of a marble slab cutoff. It worked without shattering the marble. It did eat belts faster than sanding wood would. If I tried the same thing nowadays, I'd want to use a sander with a vacuum attached, and a good respirator. Rock dust in your lungs probably isn't good for you.

Peter Quinn
01-03-2015, 7:54 PM
I think you can work soap stone with regular routers and even carbide bits, I think marble behaves more like stone and soap stone is very unique in that regard.

Tom M King
01-03-2015, 7:56 PM
Check with a countertop fabrication shop. I needed some edging on Quartz, and the first place I called didn't want to bother, but told me to call their competitor in that town, and they did it cheaper than I could have without the right tools for the job.

Mark Bolton
01-03-2015, 8:01 PM
Its not a simple process either by the way. Its not rocket science, but its not just running a router over the edge either.

Jim Becker
01-03-2015, 8:32 PM
Soapstone can be worked (and is worked) with normal woodworking tools and bits, although the dust can be "amazing". That's how our kitchen counters were fabricated right here on-site by my counter subcontractor. Harder stone requires specialized tooling...as someone already mentioned, water cooled tools and special tooling. I watched the counter subcontractor who did the honed granite for our addition do some work in their shop and it was an impressive setup.