PDA

View Full Version : Shellac for back sides of panels?

Glen Sargeant
01-03-2015, 4:26 PM
I just finished a dresser with fairly large drawer fronts (10" x 35.5") and a large top. Outside face of each is finished with urethane over shellac.

I think I should finish the back sides of the panels to prevent warping from uneven response to seasonal changes in humidity... but I don't want the urethane odor inside the case. Is shellac on insides of panels likely to suffice as a vapor barrier to equalize seasonal changes?

John Vernier
01-03-2015, 4:47 PM
A lot of older furniture was not finished on the interior. It is quite unusual, actually, on anything made before the mid 20th century. So I don't stress about unbalanced panels much, since nobody seems to have worried back then. However since I do copies of Greene and Greene furniture, which was actually finished on its interiors, I use shellac on the insides. The smell dissipates quickly and I think it's the right choice.

John TenEyck
01-03-2015, 5:37 PM
If you mean the inside of the drawer fronts, that's completely up to you. The structure of the drawer will keep it stable, but shellac won't hurt either. Just don't put any oil based product on the inside as it will stink for nearly ever. I usually finish drawer boxes with one or two wiped on coats of shellac, but I never finish the inside of a cabinet. Never had one warp, etc. yet. Again, the structure holds things pretty rigid. A big, minimally supported table top however, I would finish on the bottom, too.

John

David Kumm
01-03-2015, 6:07 PM
Although Shellac won't protect against water, it is a pretty decent sealer from humidity. I use the spray on clear for backs of panels that won't show because it is easy. Dave

Kent A Bathurst
01-03-2015, 6:08 PM
Is shellac on insides of panels likely to suffice as a vapor barrier to equalize seasonal changes?

Do it.

Bill White
01-03-2015, 6:25 PM
I use shellac on the insides of drawers, etc. on antiques to keep down the "musty" odor. Wouldn't be without the dewaxed Seal Coat from Zinsser.
Bill

Glen Sargeant
01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm using the same product as Bill and will forego urethane with much more confidence than before!

Jerry Olexa
01-11-2015, 9:15 AM
Shellac will work on interior..no odor