PDA

View Full Version : Help Laser not engraving

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 2:11 PM
When I import an engraving into laser it makes 3 jerky moves vertically making a loud hmm between each jerk. Don't know If i hit a button on pad accidentally or not . anyone had this happen?
http://youtu.be/NxKX0LWFgYU

Bill George
01-03-2015, 2:48 PM
When I import an engraving into laser it makes 3 jerky moves vertically making a loud hmm between each jerk. Don't know If i hit a button on pad accidentally or not . anyone had this happen?

Does it work ok on another file? If not remember my loose connection problem. Almost all wires were loose on the terminals.

Dave Sheldrake
01-03-2015, 3:05 PM
Skipped belt or jam somewhere Bert? same as Bill though, lose wires cause all sorts of issues

cheers

dave

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 3:18 PM
ok more info first i uploaded a video, second laser does not fire when trying to do this engraving 3rd
laser cut just fine no skipping no jerking . I was cutting a iphone case with lots of vector scroll work but had a small engraving on the back flap and this is what happened. Ithen made a new file to engrave and samr thing happened.

Dave Sheldrake
01-03-2015, 3:46 PM
weird one Bert,

Power the entire thing off, like dead from the mains, then boot up again

Tommy dunn
01-03-2015, 4:11 PM
Just looks like a corrupt file
dose your laser fire with the laser button

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 4:13 PM
Yep powered it down waited a min or so then tried still no engrave. I loaded a previous file that had both , engrave and cut. it did that funny thing in engrave then went right to cut and cut it out just fine:confused:

weird one Bert,

Power the entire thing off, like dead from the mains, then boot up again

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 4:20 PM
Tom
laser cuts fine won't engrave tried other files that worked before

Bill George
01-03-2015, 4:28 PM
Cutting is slow following a pretty simple path, in most cases. Engraving involves lots of moves and cycling of the laser. Power down, find a small screwdriver and starting with the terminals on the controller, check them all, PS and driver boards. It just takes one. In the process check what Dave suggested the belts and cog pulleys.

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 4:58 PM
OK machine has been power off . for 10 mins or more
Before I start is there anything in here I shouldn't touch with a screw driver.
I'm pretty sure since it cuts fine and the laser head can be moved anywhere with the keypad, and datum moves home free and easy that there are no jams or blockages any where.
303320not doing anything till I hear back I don't want to get electrocuted:(

Tommy dunn
01-03-2015, 5:21 PM
Bert
If your wanting too tighten the screws up make sure the machine is unpluged from the mains

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 5:32 PM
What are the mains how bout I just unplug from wall?

Bert
If your wanting too tighten the screws up make sure the machine is unpluged from the mains

Tommy dunn
01-03-2015, 5:44 PM
Sorry Bert that's what i meant

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 5:46 PM
:cool: I'll start seeing if anything is loose now.

Sorry Bert that's what i meant

Dave Sheldrake
01-03-2015, 5:48 PM
The two black boxes are the driver cards, check every screw inside the green connectors, on the right is the 6515 mainboard, same thing, check all the little brass screws on the green connectors.

To the left are the small machine PSU's (5,12,24 and 36 volt) check the screws on that as well.

give that a go and if no luck will think of the next thing to try :)

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 6:25 PM
I did all the brass screws in upper left and those 2 chrome boxes and I pushed all the green things to see if they were loose and jiggled the wires and it still doesn't engrave. I did not tighten all the little screws in those green plugs. I didn't know but I'm going back now and check all of those, hope I have a small enough screw driver:) Back when I get that all done,

The two black boxes are the driver cards, check every screw inside the green connectors, on the right is the 6515 mainboard, same thing, check all the little brass screws on the green connectors.

To the left are the small machine PSU's (5,12,24 and 36 volt) check the screws on that as well.

give that a go and if no luck will think of the next thing to try :)

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 6:45 PM
I get really nervous when doing stuff like this fraid I'll mess it up more. But anyway I did all the little screws in the green plugs, I had to pull a few out so I could get to the screws. Didn't make any difference still same thing.won't engrave still does that funny move and noise.

I did all the brass screws in upper left and those 2 chrome boxes and I pushed all the green things to see if they were loose and jiggled the wires and it still doesn't engrave. I did not tighten all the little screws in those green plugs. I didn't know but I'm going back now and check all of those, hope I have a small enough screw driver:) Back when I get that all done,

Tommy dunn
01-03-2015, 6:58 PM
Try down load CFG make sure the machine beeps

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 7:04 PM
Tom your gonna have to forgive my ignorance but I'm not all that savey to terms and stuff.
What is CFG and where would I get it and what does it do????

Try down load CFG make sure the machine beeps

Bill George
01-03-2015, 8:04 PM
Are there plugs on the motors that could be loose? Looks like a phone call Monday is in order.

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 8:12 PM
all the motors are working, I called and left message I totally forgot its Saturday :rolleyes:

Rich Harman
01-03-2015, 8:45 PM
Looks like a software issue to me. Do you have any engraving files stored on the machine that you can try?

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 9:22 PM
Yes I've tried them they don't work

Looks like a software issue to me. Do you have any engraving files stored on the machine that you can try?

Dave Sheldrake
01-03-2015, 9:43 PM
Tend to agree with Rich Bert, have another go at speed 400 / power 20, after that it's probably going to be a re-download CFG buddy and see if that helps. Sometimes the firmware does throw a wobbler (as Tommy said) on the HX systems with the 6515 cards. I'm sure if it's not done before Ray will get you back up and running Monday morning.

cheers

dave

Bert Kemp
01-03-2015, 10:12 PM
what is CFG?

Tend to agree with Rich Bert, have another go at speed 400 / power 20, after that it's probably going to be a re-download CFG buddy and see if that helps. Sometimes the firmware does throw a wobbler (as Tommy said) on the HX systems with the 6515 cards. I'm sure if it's not done before Ray will get you back up and running Monday morning.

cheers

dave

Rich Harman
01-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Yes I've tried them they don't work

Just to be real clear, I meant a file stored on the laser, without needing to turn on the computer. Since the computer is not used that would rule out problems with the laser. If you've never downloaded a file to the laser then you wouldn't be able to try this.

Bert Kemp
01-04-2015, 1:21 AM
Guess I've never done that as I always get my files from the computer

Just to be real clear, I meant a file stored on the laser, without needing to turn on the computer. Since the computer is not used that would rule out problems with the laser. If you've never downloaded a file to the laser then you wouldn't be able to try this.

Bill George
01-04-2015, 9:47 AM
Guess I've never done that as I always get my files from the computer

Doesn't the computer download files to the laser? Once in the laser you should be able to disconnect the computer and the file(s) you download should still be there. You can then scroll through the files, select one and run.

Not sure about a CFG file but assuming its what it said it is, a configuration file for the laser firmware. Look under File/Machine Setup/ should be a in lower part a Upload CFG There should be all kinds of things to change, Don't change anything and you might want to wait for Ray this may not be the same as yours.

Yes you need to check ALL the connections, the green connector ones require a small screwdriver as you have found out. I am sure when you call Ray tomorrow he will ask the same things suggested here.

Ernie Balch
01-04-2015, 9:52 AM
It looks like the machine sees alll 3 lines of text. It hesitates like it wants to engrave then jumps to the next line. My guess is there is something wrong with the file like a scan gap setting that is wrong. Does the laser file simulation look correct?

Jerome Stanek
01-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Have you contacted Ray Scott about this

Stephen Kane
01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi Bert

I would delete all files that are stored on the laser. Then create very simple engraving file, download and run.

Bert Kemp
01-04-2015, 2:26 PM
I've tried a few files that worked before and even created a new file same thing happens. I've tried combo files engrave and cut, it it doest this weird thing on engrave then goes right to cut and cuts just fine.

It looks like the machine sees alll 3 lines of text. It hesitates like it wants to engrave then jumps to the next line. My guess is there is something wrong with the file like a scan gap setting that is wrong. Does the laser file simulation look correct?

Bert Kemp
01-04-2015, 2:42 PM
Just created a new engrave file loaded it to laser and disconnected the computer NO CHANGE:(

Bill I download files to the laser from lasercut but I don't store them on the laser. If your telling me to send a file to laser then unplug the computer I can try that. Don't know why that would make a difference but hey I'll try anything to get it going again. Back in a few.:o

Doesn't the computer download files to the laser? Once in the laser you should be able to disconnect the computer and the file(s) you download should still be there. You can then scroll through the files, select one and run.

Not sure about a CFG file but assuming its what it said it is, a configuration file for the laser firmware. Look under File/Machine Setup/ should be a in lower part a Upload CFG There should be all kinds of things to change, Don't change anything and you might want to wait for Ray this may not be the same as yours.

Yes you need to check ALL the connections, the green connector ones require a small screwdriver as you have found out. I am sure when you call Ray tomorrow he will ask the same things suggested here.

Rich Harman
01-04-2015, 3:14 PM
Doesn't the computer download files to the laser? Once in the laser you should be able to disconnect the computer and the file(s) you download should still be there.

The way mine works is that the computer sends the file to the laser then the laser runs it. After it is finished I can run it again if I choose without using the computer. IOW the last file can be re-run. As soon as a new file is run from the computer that first file is no longer available on the laser - it does not save it.

However, I can choose to "download" a file to the laser, naming it in the process. It is then saved on the laser. I can use the LCD to navigate to the file and re-run it without needing the computer.

Rich Harman
01-04-2015, 3:19 PM
Bill I download files to the laser from lasercut but I don't store them on the laser. If your telling me to send a file to laser then unplug the computer I can try that. Don't know why that would make a difference but hey I'll try anything to get it going again. Back in a few.:o

I don't see why that would work either. Only if you had a known working file saved on the laser would this tell you anything. And I think you don't, so the next step is to (I think) fix the program.

Bill George
01-04-2015, 3:35 PM
I don't see why that would work either. Only if you had a known working file saved on the laser would this tell you anything. And I think you don't, so the next step is to (I think) fix the program.

A little confusion here. I do not have LaserCut 5.3 or whatever but a similar but different program. When I download a file from my LaserCutEngrave 3.3 it goes into machine memory. It will stay until deleted. I can down load several files up until the memory is full. I also load files into machine memory off a USB stick.

I can also download, but never needed the Machine Configuration file.
That's really what I was trying to say and did not make clear.

Ray Scott
01-04-2015, 3:52 PM
Have you contacted Ray Scott about this

The laser machine appears to do what it normally does when given a bad feed speed for the engraving parameter.

1- The laser head has moved to the bottom of the engrave objects....
2- Moved up the center of the bottom object
3- Rapid move to the bottom of second object
4- moved up the second object
5- rapid move to the bottom of the third object
6- Moved up the third object
7- the laser head goes home....

i am am guessing this program is simply three rows of text...

Diagnosis... Check your SPEED parameter of the ENGRAVE function. It is very likely that your speed is too low. LaserCut needs the speed to be over 100 ...(for the ENGRAVE function.)

Ray Scott

Rich Harman
01-04-2015, 5:00 PM
Diagnosis... Check your SPEED parameter of the ENGRAVE function. It is very likely that your speed is too low. LaserCut needs the speed to be over 100 ...(for the ENGRAVE function.)

His first post shows the engrave speed to be 50 so I hope that is the issue.

Is the 100 minimum speed unique to LaserCut 5.3 or does it apply to all versions?

Bert Kemp
01-04-2015, 6:57 PM
OMG thats all it was.. my engrave speed was to slow. Reason other files didn't run was because laser cut holds last settings that it used and I didn't think to change them just tried to engrave with out changing setting.
Live and learn thanks everyone , the crazy things that make things not work. Sometime you feel like an idiot when you find out what it is:eek:

Bill George
01-04-2015, 7:32 PM
OMG thats all it was.. my engrave speed was to slow. Reason other files didn't run was because laser cut holds last settings that it used and I didn't think to change them just tried to engrave with out changing setting.
Live and learn thanks everyone , the crazy things that make things not work. Sometime you feel like an idiot when you find out what it is:eek:

That is why my next machine will be from Rabbit USA, thanks for posting and I wonder how many people learned something today.... besides me that is !!

Chris Corwin
01-04-2015, 7:48 PM
OMG thats all it was.. my engrave speed was to slow. Reason other files didn't run was because laser cut holds last settings that it used and I didn't think to change them just tried to engrave with out changing setting. Live and learn thanks everyone , the crazy things that make things not work. Sometime you feel like an idiot when you find out what it is:eek:

Wow! What a crazy system to work with! I think that would mess me up every time! You think the programmer(s) would come up with a different way to do things to eliminate crazy setting issues like that.

Bert Kemp
01-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Hey Bill I learned something:p
When I called Rabbit yesterday I totally forgot it was Saturday, so then I sent an email and told Ray it could wait till Monday. I guess Ray saw the email and figured it couldn't wait till Monday and delt with my problem Today Thanks again Ray.

That is why my next machine will be from Rabbit USA, thanks for posting and I wonder how many people learned something today.... besides me that is !!

Michele Welch
01-04-2015, 10:52 PM
I definitely learned something today and I don't even have my new laser yet. It's testimonials like Ray answering a question on a Sunday afternoon that sealed the deal for me. My laser is ordered and I'm redoing my shop area in the basement to house my new baby!

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2015, 7:52 AM
That is one reason I like certain products I had a problem once with My Shopbot with my spindle that I could work around but just thought I would call them on a Sunday and leave a message so Monday they could get back to me. They called back in about 15 minutes and worked out the problem. It was just a setting in the VFD setup

Dave Sheldrake
01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Two dealers in the world I will buy from, Ray Scott at Rabbit is one of them for the above reasons.

Matt McCoy
01-05-2015, 11:36 AM
...Is the 100 minimum speed unique to LaserCut 5.3 or does it apply to all versions?

Does 100 represent 100% in LaserCut? If so, is power the only variable setting?

Bert Kemp
01-05-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't understand what your asking, the 100 is the speed, and min speed that the laser will work is 100 and I believe it refers mmps . Speed and power both can be set. Dose that answer your?

Does 100 represent 100% in LaserCut? If so, is power the only variable setting?

Tommy dunn
01-05-2015, 1:20 PM
I'll remember that one:)

Dave Sheldrake
01-05-2015, 2:37 PM
speed is MM per second and power is percentage Matt

cheers

dave

Ernie Balch
01-06-2015, 8:14 AM
I run lasercut from Corel X4 this method works great and is explained on the RabbitlaserUSA site. I have found it is best to establish a separate folder for each job so the parameters are remembered with that job. If you put all the laser files in one directory you will have to check and correct the parameters every time.