PDA

View Full Version : Creating a layman's version of Festool's MFT worktable

Wes Billups
01-03-2015, 12:27 PM
I'm considering turning my current workbench/assembly table into an MFT style top by drilling a grid work of holes into the top. I'm looking for input on the size of the holes (20mm or 3/4") as well as the spacing. Also like any other opinions from those that have the MFT or have done something similar.

The bench is a 36" x 48" Rockler leg set with a 40" x 52" 1" thick melamine top. Little concerned with how the particle board will hold up but I figure if it fails, it'll be cheap and easy to replace with a high quality particle board.

These are the types of items I see using on the bench after drilling holes. Most are available with either 20 mm or 3/4" posts.

Thanks,
Wes

Rick Potter
01-03-2015, 1:14 PM
I would keep it simple, and make a jig to drill your rows of holes, try it out for a while, then later redo the top with the improvements you will undoubtedly devise. I would, however, have the top overhang for clamping if possible.

Bill McNiel
01-03-2015, 2:07 PM
I would suggest you go to the FOG (Festool Owners Group) site. There are a whole bunch of people who have devoted an incredible amount of time and energy designing and building MFT clones as well as modifying basic MFTs. I built a rolling cart with my MFT sitting on top with the legs folded. With the MFT in place it matches height with my workbench and TS/Router Table. With MFT removed it acts as a 28" high Assembly Table. It also acts as a rolling transport table for heavy slabs and large cabinets and the MFT is still portable for site installs.

Mark Carlson
01-03-2015, 2:20 PM
I would recommend buying just the mdf top from festool. That way the holes are perfectly drilled and spaced. All the accessories will then fit, and better yet the holes going horizontally will be 90 degrees from the holes going vertically. Makes is easy to square fences and get 90 degree cuts. This is obviously less important if you just want a top you can clamp things to.

Eric DeSilva
01-04-2015, 3:42 PM
The bench is a 36" x 48" Rockler leg set with a 40" x 52" 1" thick melamine top.

I don't think you want to use 1"--if you want to insert things like the Festool quick clamps (last pic), the holes can't be too deep or there won't be enough room to get the 90* bend through. I think my table is 3/4" or, more likely, 18mm. Definitely look at the Festool owners group site and google around--one of the keys to the Festool top is getting the holes super accurate, and there are some ingenious ways to do that. Or, you can find a friend with a CNC router.

Mike Fusick
01-04-2015, 3:56 PM
There is a few really good YouTube videos on a diy MTF table

Bob Falk
01-06-2015, 9:30 PM
I have been thinking of a similarly designed table as an outfeed table for my tablesaw.....20mm holes on 96mm centers as with the Festool table. I'm thinking of using 3/4 BB plywood with a laminate top and having the holes drilled with a CNC router. I plan on either machining my own dogs from aluminum or turning from hardwood on the wood lathe.

Bill McNiel
01-06-2015, 9:45 PM
BTW- on FOG there are anumber of threads dealing with ingenious ways to DIY drill a MFT top. Pretty creative folks.