PDA

View Full Version : First piece of turning for 35 years

Ralph Laughton
07-21-2005, 6:18 PM
Hi Folks,

I seem to have done more lurking than posting lately, so I thought I would show you my first attempt at turning for more than 35 years, since school.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get to grips with a lathe I had acquired to go with the set of turning tools I have had for a couple of years - the result of an auction purchase. After working out what tool was which the immortal words of my old WW teacher suddenly came back to me " hold that handle down lad" Anyway this is the result. inspired by Tom Hintz's turned mallet on his New Woodworker site - Thanks Tom.

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200507/100olympp1010026.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ralph :)

Ed Scolforo
07-21-2005, 6:29 PM
That's a handsome mallet, Ralph. Which woods did you use to make it?
Ed

Ernie Nyvall
07-21-2005, 6:30 PM
Nice mallet Ralph. Looks like you picked the turning right back up, but watch out, you will find yourself covered in shavings with a tunnel to the lathe.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-21-2005, 11:09 PM
There's definitely Talent hangin' around your lathe.

Can't wait to see your next effort.

Like the two toned effect.

Bruce

Bill Stevener
07-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Ralph,

"Top Draw", old chap.:cool:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ralph Laughton
07-22-2005, 3:02 AM
Thanks Guys,

I can feel myself sliding down the slope to a workshop full of shavings! I have some other blanks I have saved over the past few months I might try a small bowl next, I'll let you know how I get on...

Ed, The mallet head was made from a piece of white oak in the centre then beech either side of that with walnut faces. The shaft is cherry and is fitted with a walnut wedge.

Ralph :)

John Hart
07-22-2005, 6:45 AM
Ahhh. The slippery slope to heaven. 35 years is a long time to wait Ralph but you've certainly broken the fast with a beauty. Nice mallet. I look forward to this upcoming bowl attempt!!