PDA

View Full Version : My first phone call from a rep of Microsoft....

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2015, 8:30 AM
Well yesterday I had a phone call from a representative of "Microsoft" telling me my computer was malfunctioning and that I should connect to a website so they could repair it. I then told him I was running Linux and not windows. Without skipping a beat he said I could connect my Linux machine so problems could be fixed. I then told him he was a scammer and that I was contacting the police and he hung up with that. The caller had a strong indian accent so it was obvious from the start. I quess they simply spend hours on the phone for their "phishing" scam.

ken masoumi
01-03-2015, 9:46 AM
I have been lucky so far,I never get these "microsoft" calls to repair my computer,what we get in and around Toronto area is a lot of "free vacation" automated calls that make you listen to their whole spiel before you can talk to a live person,my wife does wait to the end so she can tell them to take us off their list.it hasn't worked .

John Coloccia
01-03-2015, 9:53 AM
I put them on speaker phone and go about my day. Every so often, I'll ask a question like I don't understand. He hears me typing and clicking, and thinks I'm working on it. If I waste 30 minutes of his day, I consider it successful.

Phil Thien
01-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Microsoft recently filed suit against the largest offender (a California outfit which operates call centers in India, IIRC).

They (Microsoft) seemed to think that would put a stop to it.

Nope.

Ole Anderson
01-03-2015, 10:23 AM
I finally got so tired of the telemarketers and computer calls (8 of 9 in one day were from 800 numbers) I yanked the cord on my phone. Still have the number, it just goes to voicemail somewhere up in the cloud and tells them to call our cells if they know the number or leave a message and we will get it transcribed into an email, courtesy of Comcast. Now I am down to maybe one email a day from someone leaving a message. Telemarketers don't bother with a message and all of our friends now know to call our cells.

Al Launier
01-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I've received those as well & am really tired of them. Putting them on a "do /not call" list doesn't work. So, on the last one I waited to get into a discussion with them & the put an air horn to the phone & blasted them. Don't know how well this worked, but at least I got a little satisfaction. ;)

Pat Barry
01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Just tell them that you already have another Microsoft rep on the other line and they have the situation under control. Then thank them for their offer to help and hang up.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I have been lucky so far,I never get these "microsoft" calls to repair my computer,what we get in and around Toronto area is a lot of "free vacation" automated calls that make you listen to their whole spiel before you can talk to a live person,my wife does wait to the end so she can tell them to take us off their list.it hasn't worked .

Have had a lot of "press 1" for free cruise. Also many "credit card debt" calls. please press 1. Seems to be no protection or screening to weed them out. I simply hang up on them or sometimes, when i lift the receiver there is no one there so I quickly hang up before they come on the line.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2015, 11:07 AM
He hung up once I mentioned the police. But with a heavy Indian accent, they must be in India somewhere, the land of scams and corruption i suppose.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2015, 11:08 AM
They did a little to stop them but the best defense is a quick hang up or mention the police.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Just tell them that you already have another Microsoft rep on the other line and they have the situation under control. Then thank them for their offer to help and hang up.

Yes but they are relentless and like good fishermen they are patient and once they have a nibble they begin the reel the fish in.

David Cramer
01-03-2015, 11:18 AM
I thank them for finally calling and then explain to them that my house is literally a mansion and that I have to go to the other side for good reception. I then place the phone under a pillow and walk away. I came back almost 30 minutes later and he was still on the phone:). I told him to just give me one more minute and I'd be right back:):):):):):) Like John, I was happy to waste almost 30 minutes of his day while I was turning a pen in my workshop. I never received a call like that again...how ironic:)

David

Jerry Thompson
01-03-2015, 1:58 PM
I have had several MS scam calls. I have told them I do not own computer and they hang up. The calls still come in. I have reduced the frequency of many other unwanted calls by telling them. "Mr Thompson has just pasted away." A few have the gonads to ask if they could, "Speak to the lady of the house."

Tony Zona
01-03-2015, 3:56 PM
I listen for a few minutes, then I talk dirty to them. I figure if they call me it cannot be an obscene call.

Also, I researched online what the most offensive and insulting thing I could say the them, and I have said it. It has been fun. I have actually had a few screaming and babbling at me. One called me back and I told him again.

My wife knows when I get a call like that and shakes her head.

ken masoumi
01-03-2015, 4:19 PM
Remember that Seinfeld episode when he says :I'm sorry I'm busy right now,can I call you back?

How to respond to a telemarketer - The Seinfeld way
​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllDWSbuDsQ

Ole Anderson
01-03-2015, 6:13 PM
Those poor schulms are just trying to eek out a living, get mad at the owner, not them. Don't waste your time on them, just be courteous and say right away (even if you have to break into their spiel) "Will you do something for me?" They usually respond with a slow OK. Then hit them with "Put me on your do not call list". It has ended the discussion right then 100% of the time for me. They may or may not do it, but by law I bet they are supposed to based on how quick it ends the conversation. Although when I still had my landline, they almost never had a chance to talk before I hung up which was as soon as I heard the computer moment of silence or saw the 800 number on my caller ID. Say hello, count to three and if they still aren't there (which they won't be) hang up.

When you get an occasional call you can afford the time to play with them, when you get 5 a day, you just want to end it.

Tony Zona
01-03-2015, 6:29 PM
Yep, already tried that routine.

i don't feel the same way about them, much like I dont excuse the lowly hit man who is just trying to eek out a living.

Ole Anderson
01-03-2015, 6:32 PM
Yep, already tried that routine.

i don't feel the same way about them, much like I dont excuse the lowly hit man who is just trying to eek out a living.

I suppose it depends on whether they are selling a legit product or trying to scam us.

Jim Koepke
01-03-2015, 7:13 PM
If there ever is a live person on the other end I tell them I do not do business with criminals and by calling me they are committing a crime.

Most of the time these days it is a computer voice on the other end. I just hang up then.

Here is one I always have enjoyed by Tom Mabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAb8vGSRBoE

jtk

Jim Becker
01-03-2015, 8:40 PM
"Will you do something for me?" They usually respond with a slow OK. Then hit them with "Put me on your do not call list". It has ended the discussion right then 100% of the time for me. They may or may not do it, but by law I bet they are supposed to based on how quick it ends the conversation.

Most of these scam calls are coming from spoofed numbers and from some other part of the world. They don't really care about "do not call" lists or laws--most of the calls are literally untraceable because of how they are facilitated. I've had good luck stopped the majority of them with nomorobo.com which is supported by my Verizon FiOS voice service.

Legitimate telemarketers do observe the do-not-call lists and laws, but the scammers... ;)

Andrew Kertesz
01-04-2015, 7:10 AM
I am a little disappointed as I have NOT won the Nigerian lootery lately and am running out of money. I wonder if they drained their banks of cash...:D

Myk Rian
01-05-2015, 1:55 PM
The IRS (845-193-8944) called my Wife today. They are going to take us to court. We need to call 202-657-4721 right away

Ole Anderson
01-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Most of these scam calls are coming from spoofed numbers and from some other part of the world. They don't really care about "do not call" lists or laws--most of the calls are literally untraceable because of how they are facilitated. I've had good luck stopped the majority of them with nomorobo.com which is supported by my Verizon FiOS voice service.

Legitimate telemarketers do observe the do-not-call lists and laws, but the scammers... ;)

My point was that this tactic stopped all of them dead in their tracks without being rude or wasting my time. Until you take time to listen you don't know if they are legit or scamming. I don't give them time to get that far. I don't want to waste my time on any of them, and now I don't have to after ripping out my landline.

Myk Rian
01-06-2015, 7:56 AM
and now I don't have to after ripping out my landline.
Same here. And CallControl on my smart phone keeps everything nice and quiet.

Curt Harms
01-06-2015, 9:47 AM

+1 on nomorobo.com if your phone supports it. I think the qualifier is that your service must support simultaneous ring. It's supposed to work with cell phones as well though I haven't tried it.

Jerome Stanek
01-06-2015, 10:51 AM
+1 on nomorobo.com if your phone supports it. I think the qualifier is that your service must support simultaneous ring. It's supposed to work with cell phones as well though I haven't tried it.

I use it and still get robo calls they just change their number every few days