PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart Platter

Tim Boger
01-02-2015, 9:17 PM
I finished this platter today, it's not perfect, but I'm pleased with it.

It's 13" Diameter w/ Spalted Maple and Mahogany.

Comments / Critique welcome

Marc Tuunanen
01-02-2015, 9:24 PM
Looks great to me..

George Troy Hurlburt
01-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Beautiful job on some tough wood to turn.

Richard Madden
01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
If it ain't perfect, it's pretty durn close. Very well done!

Col Smith
01-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Very nicely turned Tim.
Is there a reason why some of the spokes are all Spalted Maple & some only half Spalted Maple ?

Just wondered if there is a reason behind it ?

Cheers
Col

Scott Brandstetter
01-03-2015, 2:16 AM
Okay Tim, you have just been blocked from me reading your posts. What you call "not perfect" would be my best work in a dream. In all seriousness, it's a very beautiful piece. My goodness, I don't have enough years on this earth to learn all of the skills I see on this forum. Thanks for sharing

Rick Fisher
01-03-2015, 4:07 AM
Really nice work

Mike Tilley
01-03-2015, 5:52 AM
Nice looking platter with good wood combinations. Nice job

John Keeton
01-03-2015, 6:53 AM
Normally, I am not a big fan of segmented work, but I like this one! Excellent!!

Tim Boger
01-03-2015, 8:00 AM
Very nicely turned Tim.
Is there a reason why some of the spokes are all Spalted Maple & some only half Spalted Maple ?

Just wondered if there is a reason behind it ?

Cheers
Col

Greetings Col,

There is not a planned reason for the distribution of "spalted material" it's simply the nature of the wood. / As I was working on the Star I wasn't too concerned as I did not think it was going to be a keeper. Now that I look back I'd likely be more selective on my material choice in the future.

Tim Boger
01-03-2015, 8:11 AM
Gentlemen,

It is truly gratifying to receive such complimentary feedback ..... thank you.

Michelle Rich
01-03-2015, 8:22 AM
I think it is a wonderful platter. quite well done. Pat your self on the back.

Randy Red Bemont
It is a beautiful piece. Being someone just looking to get into turning, I can't imagine turning a piece like that...yet.

Red

charlie knighton
well done.........

Robert McGowen
01-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Your segmenting looks great. It is hard to even find a seam in the purpleheart.

As you asked for critique, purely on a construction basis, I hope that it stays together for you. There is absolutely no place for the wood to move. If the middle expands at all, then cracks will develop. If it tries to shrink, there is no place to go and it will simply break apart. I am sure you will hear from people that have done this and nothing ever happened to it, but just because you drive 100 mph down the freeway and don't have a wreck, doesn't mean that it is the best thing to do. Just my $.02. :)

David C. Roseman
01-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Beautiful, Tim! I love the way you've used different shades of the maple to give the star a three-dimensional look. Very impressive.

David

Tim Boger
01-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Your segmenting looks great. It is hard to even find a seam in the purpleheart.

As you asked for critique, purely on a construction basis, I hope that it stays together for you. There is absolutely no place for the wood to move. If the middle expands at all, then cracks will develop. If it tries to shrink, there is no place to go and it will simply break apart. I am sure you will hear from people that have done this and nothing ever happened to it, but just because you drive 100 mph down the freeway and don't have a wreck, doesn't mean that it is the best thing to do. Just my $.02. :)

Hey Robert,

No doubt the concerns of movement have merit, I get caught up in the "design" process and often never consider the potential for expansion / contraction.

Thank you for your comments, how would you place an allowence for movement into a similar piece?

Tim

Robert Willing
01-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Normally, I am not a big fan of segmented work, but I like this one! Excellent!!

I find your comment interesting. Most of our turning club members heckle our only segment turner, but I think it is very beautiful such as this Purple Heart piece. Most of our club members turn natural wood and then embellish the turned piece. I think both methods are equally artistic; in fact any turned piece is artistic regardless of skill level because it is a reflection of the individual’s current state of interpretation, and skills.

By the way Tim your platter really is excellent.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I think you did really good on a very difficult design! Have no idea about combating expansion/shrinkage in segmented pieces, so can only hope it holds together for you! Nice work!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-03-2015, 11:08 AM
In the future, you are not allowed to critique your own work. Perfect is not a term we use very often especially when we inlay light wood on dark. Every imperfect (that word is allowed) alignment stands out. I like the way the middle portion looks three dimensional. Nice platter.
faust

Tim Boger
01-03-2015, 11:21 AM
I think you did really good on a very difficult design! Have no idea about combating expansion/shrinkage in segmented pieces, so can only hope it holds together for you! Nice work!

Hey Steve,

Over the years I've had little to no movement issues or subsequent damage, this is not to suggest I've followed the design recommendations of those whose I've followed and learned from.... perhaps it's a matter of climate. Regardless, I hope it stays together. I think it will.

Thanks for your thoughts and all the others that have posted. I'm delighted to read and enjoy the feedback!!

Tim