PDA

View Full Version : New tools from antique shop.

Richard Hutchings
01-02-2015, 5:32 PM
Just wanted to show what I found today for $45. I'm pretty happy with it. That saw has just been sharpened. The folding marking knife is almost the same as the one I've been seeing Paul Sellers using so I was happy to find it and give it a try.

Chris Hachet
01-02-2015, 6:47 PM
Brace and bits look fantastic!

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2015, 9:03 PM
Pretty nice find. Congratulations Richard!

Richard Hutchings
01-03-2015, 5:33 AM
I like the plane the best but I have no idea who made it. There isn't any identification anywhere. I needed a joiner plane and was looking for a newer metal one but this one seems to have all the same adjustments. And the price was right.

Jim Matthews
01-03-2015, 10:35 AM
With a properly sharpened blade, and trued sole the transitional planes are excellent.

They were made better than necessary.

Your saw set and brace alone are worth what you paid.

( * you suck * )

Richard Hutchings
01-04-2015, 7:49 AM
I have a question about the plane. The frog is adjustable but if it isn't in the same plane as the wood bevel, it really won't work. I tried moving the frog forward to close the mouth but when I did it, the blade just got bent back against the wood, forcing it to stick way out of the plane. I guess I need some education on these planes. I feel like I would need to add a shim to build up the bevel in the plane to make the frog adjustment useful. Can some one give me a lesson?

Jim Koepke
01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
My suggestion would be to not try closing the mouth.

Use the chip breaker for fine shaving work.

If you feel you must close the mouth you may have to add wood to the plane.

Often the maker can be determined by the lateral adjuster.

Stanley has the "tiller" on theirs.

Sargent lateral adjusters have the bent upside down vee interface for the fingers.

Ohio and Union tool companies have a twist in their levers.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
01-04-2015, 2:21 PM
It seems to work fine as it as, about 1/4" mouth opening and I don't plan to fix it. Do you mean that I should bring the chip breaker as close to the cutting edge as possible and that will have the same effect as closing the mouth?

I found the makers name, it's on the front of the block of wood. It's a Sargent.

I'm going to continue to search for a good deal on a metal Stanley but this will work fine in the mean time. Maybe I won't even bother.

Thanks to all who responded.:)

Jim Koepke
01-04-2015, 3:17 PM
Do you mean that I should bring the chip breaker as close to the cutting edge as possible and that will have the same effect as closing the mouth?

Yes. However, for use as a jointer this is not as critical. Setting the chip breaker close IMO, has its best advantage at final smoothing.

Google > setting a cap iron < This should lead you to an article written by David Weaver at Wood Central explaining the use of the chip breaker.

jtk

steven c newman
01-04-2015, 8:13 PM
Plane is by Sargent. Might be branded as a Fulton? But it was made by Sargent. They used that style of lever cap on their wood bodied planes. I have a Stanley #26, and now a Sargent/Fulton #416,,,might be a 4416??

Like the one in the center?

Richard Hutchings
01-04-2015, 8:37 PM
Thanks Jim, that was a good read.

Yes. However, for use as a jointer this is not as critical. Setting the chip breaker close IMO, has its best advantage at final smoothing.

Google > setting a cap iron < This should lead you to an article written by David Weaver at Wood Central explaining the use of the chip breaker.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
01-04-2015, 8:41 PM
I had the opportunity to buy a woodie like the one on the right for $30 but I passed after finding the transitional. Now I'm thinking I should have bought both.

bridger berdel
01-04-2015, 9:34 PM
Pretty sure the frog adjustment is to adjust for expansion and contraction of the wood sole only.

For a jointer adjust the chipbreaker to make a shaving that shoots straight up out of the plane without curling or crinkling.

steven c newman
01-04-2015, 9:55 PM
After a good tuning, and cleaning up. I used a straight edge to make the frog and the wood bed coplanar.
This is the one from a Meet & Greet at my shop yesterday, Chris Hatchet traded a few planes with me. This is one of them, after a trip through the Dungeon Rehab Center...

Richard Hutchings
01-05-2015, 9:15 AM
I got this from a piece of walnut.

Here's the info on the plane. I haven't flattened the bottom yet and I can't decide if I want to completely refinish it. Most likely I won't. I'm more of a user.

Chris Hachet
01-05-2015, 9:50 AM
I had the opportunity to buy a woodie like the one on the right for $30 but I passed after finding the transitional. Now I'm thinking I should have bought both.

Actually, I find that traditional Stanley Baily type planes work better than the antique wood planes. Modern wood planes....another matter. Which is kind of a reversal of where I used to be. I used to use only wooden planes....

Richard Hutchings
01-05-2015, 9:59 AM
A co-worker just came up to me this morning telling me of a friend who is "looking for a good home" for a jointer plane. That's all the info I have so far. I love it when things go like this.:D

Chris Hachet
01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
After a good tuning, and cleaning up. I used a straight edge to make the frog and the wood bed coplanar.
This is the one from a Meet & Greet at my shop yesterday, Chris Hatchet traded a few planes with me. This is one of them, after a trip through the Dungeon Rehab Center...

...and I brought three planes, took home 5...I obviously am doing very poorly at this shop simplification stuff.

Steven's planes went to work in some nice cherry for a table for my living room....

Richard Hutchings
01-05-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm trying not to buy duplicates but... So far, I'm just playing with these tools. I need to start a project.

Or do I?

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 12:09 PM
So far, I'm just playing with these tools. I need to start a project.

What? Fettling a plane isn't a project? :D

jtk

Chris Hachet
01-05-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm trying not to buy duplicates but... So far, I'm just playing with these tools. I need to start a project.

Or do I?

Trying to do the Schwartz thing and minimalize tools is like trying to bail out the ocean with a teaspoon. Tools are an addiction, methinks.

Chris

Chris Hachet
01-05-2015, 1:00 PM
What? Fettling a plane isn't a project? :D

jtk

I find that when I am too tired to do other work in the shop it can be very relaxing to go in, put on the classical station or a baseball game, and tune up planes.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 1:38 PM
Trying to do the Schwartz thing and minimalize tools is like trying to bail out the ocean with a teaspoon. Tools are an addiction, methinks.

Chris

If it is an addiction, it is better for a family than many of the other addictions to which one can fall prey.

I can see if one has a small shop and is tight for space, tool minimization makes sense. Minimization can be taken to an extreme. Just because a Blue Spruce paring chisel can be used to cut a mortise doesn't mean it is the only type of chisel one should posses.

Just because it is possible to change blades on a jack plane to make it useful as a jointer, smoother or scrub plane does not mean one should limit themselves to only one jack plane body.

Then comes the subject of heritage. So far there are eight grandchildren in my family. I am not sure how many of them will be interested in doing some woodworking. I would rather there be plenty of "grandpa's old tools" to go around to help avoid fights over who gets what. Who knows, some might be more interested in my electronics or automotive tools.

jtk

Chris Hachet
01-05-2015, 2:25 PM
One can only hope. My son was not interested at all in woodworking (oldest son) until he started thinking about building guitars.

Richard Hutchings
01-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Turns out is a floor model jointer. Bah. I offered 50 bucks for it. I wouldn't mind having one for large projects.

A co-worker just came up to me this morning telling me of a friend who is "looking for a good home" for a jointer plane. That's all the info I have so far. I love it when things go like this.:D

Chris Hachet
01-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Turns out is a floor model jointer. Bah. I offered 50 bucks for it. I wouldn't mind having one for large projects.

I have a really nice wooden jointer that I got off of a fellow creeker about a year and a half ago. He has been a very busy worker in my shop...

Richard Hutchings
01-09-2015, 3:26 PM
I offered the guy $50 for it and he's OK with that. I'm just not sure I want another large piece of equipment in my shop. Especially since I finally got a nice hand jointer. Decisions decisions.

Richard Hutchings
01-17-2015, 3:25 PM
I'm rebuilding a chair for my daughter and I used the brace to bore a 3/4" hole in my 3" thick spruce bench for my hold-fast or dog. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I cut a loose 7/16 x 1 1/2 x 2" tenon out of an oak board with the saw. Had to cut off the remains of the broken tenon and cut a mortise in its place. Got a nice tight tenon now.

General hand tool use.
The seat is frame and panel construction and it was in two pieces so I hand planed the edges and clamped them back together. Lot's of fun but I'm not going to do this with the other three chairs. I plan to drill holes for dowels from underneath and add some corner blocks and call it a day. I have more fun projects to do.