PDA

View Full Version : Walnut with a twist

Gary Max
07-21-2005, 3:15 PM
This blank was cut last fall and is from a Crotch in a big walnut.
I am always amazed with what can be found inside a piece of wood.
This has to be the prettiest swrils I have ever seen --- it going to be neat to see how much of the figure remains after it gets out of the Alkey bath and dries.

Michael Stafford
07-21-2005, 3:21 PM
Yes, indeedy that is gonna be especially beautiful when you finish it Gary!!! Great looking piece of wood and a big one too! :eek: :D Is that a sweat droplet on the down side of that bowl? You ought not be working that hard.... :p ;) ;) ;)

Gary, I could make 20 or more projects of the size I make out of every one of your projects. You are the king of large scale turnings! ;)

Gary Max
07-21-2005, 5:45 PM
Thanks Mike---We are sure hoping they go over good this fall at the shows or it's going to be a REAL long winter. I did work a little over time today and stayed out in the shop till 2;00 pm it was 90 degrees in the shop when I gave up.

Ed Scolforo
07-21-2005, 6:35 PM
Gary, That's a VERY promising hunk of wood. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Ed

Dennis Peacock
07-21-2005, 7:23 PM
Thanks Mike---We are sure hoping they go over good this fall at the shows or it's going to be a REAL long winter. I did work a little over time today and stayed out in the shop till 2;00 pm it was 90 degrees in the shop when I gave up.

Nice looking walnut Gary......
Just 90° in the shop? If I don't run my A/C in my shop? The temp gets to around 117° F and stays well over 105° F. With my small A/C unit running, 8,000BTU the shop will stay around 90° F and that's for 1,200 Sq Ft of shop as I wall off the other 1/3 of the shop during the summer to reduce the heat load. With both units running, 8,000 BTU and a 12,000BTU I can get the shop to around 74° F.

Can't wait to see that walnut when your done. She's gonna be real purdy! :D

Gary Max
07-21-2005, 7:46 PM
Dennis --it's 90-- with three fans running and I started about 4;00 am so I had it nice in there until the sun got cooking good.
There ain't no ceiling in my shop just rafters and metal roof---AC would just be a waste.

Cecil Arnold
07-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Gary, I'll bet that looks better than the pics, and they are great.

John Hart
07-22-2005, 7:13 AM
Looks great Gary!! I made a couple of small projects last year out of walnut with that blonde coloring in it. It's stays pretty vibrant throughout the finishing. Kinda reminded me of yellowheart. It's going to be a gorgeous peice, I sure.