PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Question

Mike Goetzke
01-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm in the process of finishing a few bowls I made. I did some research here and ordered Vince's WoodNWonders "green" kit and extra pads. I also picked up the HF right angled variable speed reversible drill. The paper seems to be great but I'm having problems with the Velcro not sticking well or at all. I'm pretty new to turning so maybe it's me. I find the 80 grit stick well but all the other pads don't stick as well from the start and once there is a little dust on them they don't stick at all. If you look at the back of the pads the 80 grit appears to have thicker Velcro. I'm running the lathe at about 150 rpm and the drill at low to medium speeds. Any hints on what I'm doing wrong appreciated. (I also sent Vince an e-mail but I'm in the middle of this project and hoping to correct my issues quickly)

Mike

Joe Kaufman
01-02-2015, 12:48 PM
I agree with your assessment that "I find the 80 grit stick well but all the other pads don't stick as well from the start". Same situation as you, new interface pads and new discs. I haven't used them yet but will try them this afternoon and see how dust and a little use affect their performance.

Joe

Jon Nuckles
01-02-2015, 1:52 PM
If I recall correctly, Vince posted in a recent thread that he had some problems with a recent batch of the green discs and would take care of you if you contact him. As you have contacted him, I think you are on the right track. Don't know if there is anything you can do to help with what you have.

Scott Hackler
01-02-2015, 3:39 PM
You can "rough up" the velcro on the back of the higher grits with a couple swipes of a small steel brush and that will help a lot. One thing I found out the hard way when I first started power sanding was that I was getting the pads too hot by sanding too fast and applying too much pressure. That seems to "bend" the hook part of the velcro and it couldn't grab onto the discs anymore. I was also heating up the pad so much that the glue would let loose! ooops! Now I slow down the lathe and apply little pressure. Works 1000% better.

Joe Kaufman
01-02-2015, 8:08 PM
Mike

Went through 4 grits on the outside of a 9" bowl, starting with 80 and removed and replaced the disks 3-4 times per grit. They stayed on the new interface pad but wouldn't stay on a used pad that I had been using with Klingspor disks. Well used Klingspor disks work fine with the used pad. I'm not very happy as the >80 grit disks barely hold on a new pad. Will call Vince about it.

George Troy Hurlburt
01-02-2015, 8:40 PM
I use an inertia sander. I have a couple in 2" and 3". These are in velcro. Also a sticky disc type. I ordered from Vince a couple of 3m type balls. He had some discs on closeout also in the order. Don't get dis-courage. Save the ones you flipped out and glue them to other type pads. Double stick tape, will work.

Mike Goetzke
01-02-2015, 8:53 PM
You can "rough up" the velcro on the back of the higher grits with a couple swipes of a small steel brush and that will help a lot. One thing I found out the hard way when I first started power sanding was that I was getting the pads too hot by sanding too fast and applying too much pressure. That seems to "bend" the hook part of the velcro and it couldn't grab onto the discs anymore. I was also heating up the pad so much that the glue would let loose! ooops! Now I slow down the lathe and apply little pressure. Works 1000% better.

Thanks for the replies. Scott - even before using some of the disks don't want to grab well at all.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2015, 9:41 PM
Vince replaced some disc for me just this week.......he is a stand up guy and I think he said that a batch of the papers got wet somehow.....contact him and he will take care of you!

Bob Bergstrom
01-03-2015, 12:40 PM
See Vince's answer above, I'm impressed!
Vince is the best on product and service. He is always there to make things right.

Mike Goetzke
01-03-2015, 6:43 PM
Vince is the best on product and service. He is always there to make things right.

You guys are correct. Just got off the phone with Vince and he took care of me. Plus we chatted a bit and I got lots of good info from him.

Mike

Joe Kaufman
01-03-2015, 10:02 PM
+1 ...... Talked to Vince today also. He is very concerned about selling and delivering a good product.

Joe