PDA

View Full Version : Offset Wagon Vise

Matt Evans
01-02-2015, 7:33 AM
Built an offset wagon vise recently for a bench. It is a very simple design, and something that could easily be retrofitted into most benches. Just thought I'd share it just in case some of y'all are in need of a simple vise design for a bench.

I'd prefer square dogs in this sort of vise, but went with round dog holes in this bench to match the holes for the holdfasts.

Chris Hachet
01-02-2015, 9:58 AM
Interesting Idea. Those of us with workbenches on our agenda deeply appreciate threads like these...

Jim Matthews
01-02-2015, 9:59 AM
Nicely done.

Do you intend to drop an integral batten in the slot between the two planks?
I'm a recent convert to split top design.

I can't fathom why I waited so long to make the change.

kudos

Jim Matthews
01-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Look closely at the split top design.

It's one of those really useful notions,
that makes building a bench easier.

I find being able to drop a clamp in the center
or use the batten board down the middle
to be much more convenient.

Building a bench from two planks is also
less cumbersome, when it comes time to
set it on the trestle.

Matt Evans
01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
I do make double sided battens for the split tops I build. Flush when they are one way, flip the over and they protrude 1/4" above the bench top. I normally make aew one sided battens as well for thick stock.

Clamping in the bench center is something I do a lot of, though mostly for jigs and fixtures.

Matt Evans
01-03-2015, 8:19 AM
Had a few folks ask questions about the bench. . .

Bench is 62" x 20" x 32" tall. Overhang on vise end is around 15", other end is 8"

Bench top is 2 1/2" thick.

Bench is made out of poplar with an ash endcap.

The vise screw is 24" long, RH thread. You turn the vise clockwise to open, counter clockwise to tighten. It sounds as though that would get confusing, particularly if you have more than one vise you use, but because I stand in front of the dog block, it actually feels like a very natural motion to turn the screw the "wrong way" to tighten and loosen the vise.

The dog block travels 5 1/2" It could travel more if I lengthened the slot in the bench, but I think that nearly six inches is good for the work I do, and I'd rather have the bench top more solid than gain extra travel I don't need.