PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have sharpening station plans?

Joe McMahon
01-01-2015, 3:53 PM
I want to build a sharpening station. I am really attracted to the one that Lie Nielsen makes, but at $1000+, it ain't going to happen. I wouldn't mind building one, but my creative genius is zilch. Anyone have plans for anything similar or know where I could buy some?

Allen Jordan
01-01-2015, 4:00 PM
I built a sharpening bench from cheap construction lumber. Here are detailed build pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PtStX

And the final thing:

http://i.imgur.com/a3lhZ.jpg

Winton Applegate
01-01-2015, 4:43 PM
Anyone have sharpening station plans?
yes, I plan on not POing SWMBO so I can keep sharpening in the kitchen.

David Nelson1
01-01-2015, 5:25 PM
I like it! Simple construction and well thought out.

I built a sharpening bench from cheap construction lumber. Here are detailed build pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PtStX

And the final thing:

http://i.imgur.com/a3lhZ.jpg

Cody Cantrell
01-01-2015, 5:57 PM
I built one just like the LN unit from a piece of granite that was a cut out from a sink or stove top. Just go to a granite place and tell them what you are looking for. It is thinner but I just put supports under the slab. You could use construction lumber for the base. I really enjoy mine. I will try and get a picture.

Mike Holbrook
01-01-2015, 6:00 PM
I am working on one too. I am using an old cabinet and the top off an old file cabinet that has a water proof surface. Not done yet as I am trying to finally decide on how to do the rests in terms of placement and attachment. One of my rests can't be attached beside my grinder the way the directions suggest...

Joe McMahon
01-01-2015, 6:10 PM
Cody, I am VERY interested in seeing your station.

Andrew Hughes
01-01-2015, 8:37 PM
Here's a peek at my station it sits just outside my shop,I also keep a water hose with a spray nozzle.Just out of the pic.I like lots of water.

ken hatch
01-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I checked out the LN sharpening table, too small to call a bench. As much as I like LN tools and what he has done for hand tool use this isn't one of his best products.

My sharpening bench is the first woodworking work bench I built many years ago, on another thread I called it my Russian Bench but as bad a work bench as it is it's made a pretty good if small sharpening bench. There is a wall cabinet above the bench that holds all the extra and different stones, sandpaper and so on.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/sharpeningBenchA_zps28da939a.jpg

I have to admit, the LN one is prettier.

Tony Shea
01-01-2015, 10:19 PM
So how do you like your Tormek T7 Ken? Do you find it too slow at touching up a bevel angle or removing minor knocks from chisels or plane blades? I don't mind using a regular bench grinder for re-establishing bevels but I just struggle with having to take my grinder outside to use due to the stone a metal dust. My shop is in an apartment bedroom therefore grinding metal in this area is not a good option for me. Wood dust is something I, and more importantly my girlfriend, doesn't mind but metal dust, sparks, and stone dust is certainly pushing it in this area. I have been seriously contemplating the T7 but do not want to drop that kinda coin on something I will be disappointed with.

Joe McMahon
01-01-2015, 10:39 PM
I just don't have the room for a large station. I figured something for my stones would encourage me to sharpen more often.

ken hatch
01-02-2015, 12:18 AM
So how do you like your Tormek T7 Ken? Do you find it too slow at touching up a bevel angle or removing minor knocks from chisels or plane blades? I don't mind using a regular bench grinder for re-establishing bevels but I just struggle with having to take my grinder outside to use due to the stone a metal dust. My shop is in an apartment bedroom therefore grinding metal in this area is not a good option for me. Wood dust is something I, and more importantly my girlfriend, doesn't mind but metal dust, sparks, and stone dust is certainly pushing it in this area. I have been seriously contemplating the T7 but do not want to drop that kinda coin on something I will be disappointed with.

Tony,

Yep, it is slower than a bench grinder. I'm not running a production shop so I don't care. I can go a fairly long time before needing to re-grind and it gives a good consistent bevel when needed and I like the large wheel. Would I buy one again, I'm not 100% sure but probably.

ken

ken hatch
01-02-2015, 12:27 AM
I just don't have the room for a large station. I figured something for my stones would encourage me to sharpen more often.

That I can understand. Something close to your bench with your basic set up makes all the difference in the world. I have the Shapton Glass Stone Pond on my bench. It is not cheap but if I only had a small space to work in I would build a stand to hold the Stone Pond with maybe some storage under it.

ken

Matthew N. Masail
01-02-2015, 6:08 AM
I tried about 5 different setups, with a stone pond, with clamps, with wooden strips eventually what I like best is just a flat table top, with strips of this tape about 1.5 inches apart http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=60954&cat=1,42207

it gives me the besy flexibility. any stone base with rubber dots will not move at all even under high back flattening pressure, any wooden stone\strop base\box gets a strip or 2 of the same tape on the bottom. I can position anything anywhere and be totally secure, it's great, like magic :) I have a drawer underneath that keeps all stones not in use and accessories close by and organized, for a drawer I highly recommend full extension slides.

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I was about to build a dedicated station and decided to use the extension table on my tablesaw instead. Its 52", covered in laminate and seldom used for really wide cuts. So its available. The TS sits right behind my workbench, which encourages me to hone or sharpen more often. Its worked out very well for me.

Fred

Chris Hachet
01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I checked out the LN sharpening table, too small to call a bench. As much as I like LN tools and what he has done for hand tool use this isn't one of his best products.

My sharpening bench is the first woodworking work bench I built many years ago, on another thread I called it my Russian Bench but as bad a work bench as it is it's made a pretty good if small sharpening bench. There is a wall cabinet above the bench that holds all the extra and different stones, sandpaper and so on.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/sharpeningBenchA_zps28da939a.jpg

I have to admit, the LN one is prettier.

Pretty or not, I feel better every time I see a workshop as well sued and well loved as mine!

Brian Holcombe
01-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Tom Fidgen released some free plans for his Sharpening bench. Quick google search should bring it up.

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/a-dedicated-sharpening-bench-part-1.html

I have designs on building a sharpening bench. It will probably end up being something of a combination of Tom's bench and a Japanese sharpening station.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-02-2015, 2:37 PM
I plan to add t-track to mine with a sliding bar to lock the stones in place. You would have two t-track running parallel, and two bars that slide in the track perpendicular to the tracks. You put the stones in place, slide the bars up against the stone, and they lock. Also it allows you to slide on various accessories like a grinder mounted to a piece of wood with t-bolts, and lock them in place. Less table top space needed, very versatile.

ken hatch
01-02-2015, 3:13 PM
Pretty or not, I feel better every time I see a workshop as well sued and well loved as mine!

Thanks Chris,

One thing for sure, it is well used as is the whole shop.

I've one thing to add about sharpening benches. If you can, make it twice as big as you think you need.

ken

Stew Hagerty
01-02-2015, 3:19 PM
And now for something completely different...

I use oilstones so I don't have to worry about water. I have them sitting in a 28" deep drawer with 100lb full extension slides and 3/4 BB Plywood for the drawer bottom. I have some Kaizen foam and plan on fitting all of the stones in place along with a honing guide, a small bottle of oil, and a few other things. When I'm done, I just slide the draw in and it's all out of the way.

John Sanford
01-04-2015, 2:22 AM
These are my sharpening flats. Two flats, which is actually just a spare shelf with a front edge strip, cut in half. Each flat has two sets of four rare earth magnets in the little magnetic cups set into it. The magnets hold 4 DMT 3"x8" diamond stone. I have the fifth stone, an extra extra coarse, in a classic "stone holder", but don't expect to use it very often, which is why it's not on the flats.

The front strip on the flats allow them to be used the same way as bench hooks. Just sit 'em down, push 'em against the edge of your surface, and go to town. The magnets facilitate removing the stones and rinsing them off, or re-arranging them if necessary.