PDA

View Full Version : How much is a used Unisaw worth?

Mike Henderson
01-01-2015, 2:13 PM
I described in a previous thread how I came to own a Unisaw, but I'll give a short story here. I went to purchase a bandsaw from a woman whose husband had passed away. She wanted to get rid of the big tools and made me a deal for taking both the bandsaw and the Unisaw.

I don't need another cabinet saw - don't have room - so I want to sell this one. My question is what should I ask for it?

Here's some info on the saw:

5HP, 230V
Left tilt
50" Biesemeyer fence
Comes with a wing and an outfeed table
Don't know when it was made but my guess is between 2002 and 2004.
I powered it up and it seems to run fine. The 5HP motor starts the blade up fast.
Does not have a riving knife but the splitter tilts with the blade - it just doesn't go up and down.

Based on the model number and the fact that the wing and outfeed table are Delta, I think it's the 5HP saw in this link (http://www.mikestools.com/download/deltatablesawmanuals/36-842.pdf)

Here's a few pictures of the saw. I took everything off of it to transport it, but the sale will include the Biesemeyer fence, the wing and the outfeed table.

What do you think is a fair price to ask for the saw?

303144 303145 303143 303146

Rick Potter
01-01-2015, 2:44 PM
I sold a 2000 model with 3HP, L/T, and all the goodies for $700, in great shape....2 years ago. Fortunately for you prices have gone up since then, and I would ask a grand for the saw...minimum.

I follow CL pretty regularly, and prices have definitely gone up in the last year or so. Killer deals are much harder to find.

Terry Beadle
01-01-2015, 2:44 PM
The rule is a little less than half retail. This one looks like $650 to $850 as a guess. This is just my opinion.
Check the Craigslist in you area and you should get a better idea.

Carroll Courtney
01-01-2015, 3:13 PM
Like my father inlaw told me yrs ago about selling something,"You can always go down but you can't go up".Still missing him after all these yrs

Matt Day
01-01-2015, 3:26 PM
I would say $700-$900 is what it should sell for, depending on your market. I would do some craigslist searches for your region and see what others are listed at. I will see similar saws listed for $1000-$1200, but I am pretty confident that they are negotiated down quite a bit.
If it were me in my market, I would list it for something like $950, and be willing to go down.

Jeff Duncan
01-01-2015, 4:21 PM
Look at your local market and see what guys are asking/getting. I've had a couple Uni's over the years but never paid more than $250 for one. Yours is a lot newer though so certainly worth a lot more, though I'd be shocked if you could get close to a grand for one. Different areas can vary quite a bit with pricing though so do your homework.

good luck,
JeffD

Tom M King
01-01-2015, 4:31 PM
I'd give you 1200 for it right now, if it was not 3,000 miles away. I've been passively waiting for a left tilt to come up near me with a good wide fence other than stock. I have an older right tilt, that is our "portable" tablesaw. I need one for one of the regular shops, but not bad enough to buy a new saw.

CPeter James
01-01-2015, 4:38 PM
Here in New Hampshire, that saw would sell if priced at $1200-$1500. That is a decent saw. $800 gets you a 20 or 30 year old Uni that needs work.

Peter

Joe A Faulkner
01-01-2015, 5:02 PM
Looks like in your area there are a hand full of Unisaws with 2-3 hp motors in the $900-$1,200 range. I'd start at the high end of that range.

Mike Henderson
01-01-2015, 5:21 PM
Thanks, everyone. I had put out the word to woodworkers I know and I have a guy who's very interested. He's coming this weekend to look at it. I'm asking a bit over $1K, and I think that's very fair. The saw is 5HP, left tilt, USA made, and in excellent shape. The only major thing it's missing is a riving knife. On this one, the splitter tilts when you tilt the blade, but it doesn't move up and down. As long as he doesn't have to do non-through cuts the splitter can stay on the saw.

If he ever decides to sell it, I think he'll get most of his money back.

Mike

Jim Becker
01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Judging from the excellent condition and specifications, I think you hit about the right spot for your ask.

rudy de haas
01-02-2015, 12:18 PM
hi:

You can price stuff like this in your local market by watching for similar items on sites like criagslist in the US or kijiji in Canada. Fairly priced stuff usually sells in a few days to weeks, too high and you see the ads re-appear week after week, too low and it's gone day one. Getting it right may take some time (especially if the market is thin where you are) but it's often worth your while to wait for the information you need to get it right.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Judging from the excellent condition and specifications, I think you hit about the right spot for your ask.
Yes, and it's a woodworking friend of mine. I certainly would not want to "cheat" him. And I don't think he would want to "steal" the saw from me. We'll talk about it when he comes to look at it. I'm sure that where ever we settle, we'll both be satisfied.

I have a few extra things that I'll throw in to the deal. For example, something that was given to me is a Shop Fox 9 roller tabl (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TQET/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2M1XMQFRF5982&coliid=IL3KEFLDAKDWY)e. I don't need it and I don't have room to store it. And I don't want to deal with Craigslist to sell it. So I'll include it with the saw. He gets something extra of value, I get it out of my shop. Win-win.

Mike

Kevin Womer
01-02-2015, 12:58 PM
If this helps, I sold a Steel City 3hp, 30 inch rip, and basically the same fence for 1300. I had bought it new and it was pretty similar to the Delta you have. It was in excellent shape, and we both felt it was a fair price.

jack duren
01-02-2015, 1:33 PM
I personally wouldn't pay $1,000 or more for it and from what I've seen on these forums over the years neither would most members. Want it for nothing and want everything when they sell.

Negotiate the price and move it would be my advice....

Jim Becker
01-02-2015, 2:19 PM
I sold my 5 year old left-tilt Jet CS (only 3hp) for $1200 when I bought my slider...so at a grand, that Unisaw is a really good deal!

Mike Henderson
01-02-2015, 3:17 PM
Want it for nothing and want everything when they sell.
Yep, I guess we all fall into that. It's human nature. But that's what negotiations are for.

Mike

jack duren
01-02-2015, 4:37 PM
I sold my 5 year old left-tilt Jet CS (only 3hp) for $1200 when I bought my slider...so at a grand, that Unisaw is a really good deal!.

You can get a Delta slider on kc craigslist here for 2k. The company I work for would have bought it but we are buying a beam saw instead..

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/4807498353.html

Steve Mellott
01-03-2015, 10:02 AM
In my area (Atlanta), I think that saw would easily sell for $1200. This assumes everything is in very good condition.

David Kumm
01-03-2015, 6:51 PM
I'm not a huge Uni fan but that is a good deal considering new saws of that quality are closer to 3K. Used machine buyers tend to be notoriously cheap which makes good stuff a real value. Good luck. A single phase 5 hp left tilt should disappear fairly quickly. Dave