PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

Mike Eastman
01-01-2015, 4:53 AM
303130I'm 57 and have a full garage of tools and machines to make things. I'm also disabled, from a degenerative disorder, and in pain not to mention I have prostate cancer...but still full of spunk. I'm looking for a way I can make some money to pay for my treatment and seems like everything is being done already, with great skill.

Any suggestions what is selling online? I even have a laser engraver. I've made some humidors, plaques and cutting boards (out of bamboo) for presents and can do a lot more.

Just looking for some suggestions as I seem to be drawing a blank.

thanks for any support

Matt Day
01-01-2015, 7:45 AM
Have you looked around on Etsy?

Or talked to local stores? If I had time I would make salt and pepper shakers and cutting boards to sell at local stores (for instance we have a fancy olive oil store that would sell them, a couple furniture/home goods type places - that don't sell custom furniture mind you), etc.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. It sounds like you have a lot of fight in you which is awesome!

Moses Yoder
01-01-2015, 8:42 AM
This is just a thought, I would suggest studying kitchen cabinet designs and sell kitchens for a local shop. If you do this right, you will be able to make a lot more money than you would in your shop. It would require an investment in design software. I think the only way to make money with a small shop is if you don't need to make money.

Jim Koepke
01-01-2015, 2:20 PM
One of the sawyers in my area does custom laser engraving for people. His set up is big enough to do entry way doors and headboards.

You might find a gift shop or two who could make use of your engraving service.

Recently my efforts were spent making a tea cabinet for my wife. The door panel would have been very special if I could have engraved an owl or just about any other image on the front.

I am thinking of trying to carve some simple lettering and images on panels for future cabinet projects for sale at the local farmers market.

If your service was close to me I might even want to contract a few panels with you.

If you pursue custom engraving for people you will need a way to convert their art into something to drive your engraver. People will come in with anything from a vague idea, pencil sketch, old photo or even magazine clippings taped together.

Surely there are other wives like mine who would like forest scenery on their kitchen cabinet doors.

jtk

Viking Mountain Tool Works
01-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I thought something like this might work. $44 on Amazon. "Search for Intersecting Boxes Espresso Color Wall Shelf". Shelf units like this seem like they would be quick to build, and could make enough to make it worth the trouble. I could help you out with the selling if you like, I sold about 10,000 items on Amazon last year. (None of which I made)