PDA

View Full Version : PSA disc glue build-up

Greg Downard
12-31-2014, 6:26 PM
Just picked up a Rikon 12" disc sander. Overall in great shape. However the disc on it now keeps letting go from the disc plate. Pulling a sanding disc off, I see some of the glue or PSA is drying out/ has dirt under it ect. What do I use to clean this old adhesive off the metal disk before putting new paper on? Any tips to keep the sticking good? Rikon's manual doesn't even tell you how to change the sanding disc.
Also is there an easy way of changing discs without removing the table and dust collector channel?

Never owned one of these before now so be nice.

George Bokros
12-31-2014, 6:29 PM
I think I used mineral spirits when I changed mine.

ian maybury
12-31-2014, 7:52 PM
Most PSAs are difficult to dissolve with even fairly strong solvents. I've had reasonable luck (still requires lots of scraping with a bit of wood or something) removing residue with those proprietary sticker removal fluids.

Heat works pretty well so far as removing stickers or self adhesive sand papers or discs without leaving a residue behind - it softens the adhesive up nicely so that it peels away with the paper. Adhesive traces can normally be rubbed hard with a finger and persuaded to roll up and peel off. A hot air gun played on a running disc gives fairly even overall heating, but don't overdo it or there could be problems with bearings, fire, warping and the like. About as hot as you can handle or a shade more seems to work...

Mark Bolton
12-31-2014, 7:58 PM
why not take an old chisel and grind a decent edge on it, kick the sander on, and lightly use the chisel to shave the adhesive off.

Bruce Page
12-31-2014, 8:00 PM
Here's how I do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_sxDVI2z8c

I would not use a chisel under power.

Brian Henderson
12-31-2014, 8:14 PM
Here's how I do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_sxDVI2z8c

That's pretty much what I do too, I was going to suggest the heat gun to soften any remaining adhesive. I've also used a razor blade to scrape off the really nasty stuff but if you replace the paper reasonably regularly and it doesn't get too cold in your area, that's not necessary most of the time.

That reminds me, I have to take apart my sanding station, when I was using it just before Christmas, the switch went out and now it just runs all the time unless I unplug it. Time for a new switch!

Mark Bolton
12-31-2014, 8:27 PM

I wouldnt hesitate but for sure if one isnt comfortable with it its best to avoid it. My guess is acetone would dissolve the PSA adhesive. A soaked rag draped over the wheel for a few minutes would likely soften it enough to be wiped off.

Don Kondra
01-01-2015, 8:21 AM
Hi Greg,

The trick is to use a rag soaked with thinner (under well ventilated conditions) and leave it on the disc for five minutes.

I do this in my spray booth and use lacquer thinner. The glue will absorb the thinner and can be easily wiped off directly or you can use an old credit card or metal scraper to gather it up.

My disc sander allows me to remove the disc. I then use scrap wood and heavy plastic to create a "well" for the disc. Then I cut a circle out of an old T shirt, place on disc and pour a small amount of thinner on it.

BTW > I find trying to remove the glue residue with a scrap of wood, etc. while the disc is running does not work and could be dangerous.

Cheers, Don

John Coloccia
01-01-2015, 8:32 AM
I used to take it off with MEK, and it does pretty much come off pretty easily with that in my experience. That said, I'm a 10 years older and wiser now, and playing around with MEK is not high on my list of things to do, so I settle for acetone. I put it on there with a paper towel, and either lay the towel over the adhesive and keep it wet, or I keep applying it by hand. After a couple of minutes of this, it will all just wipe off or easily scrap off with a razor.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2015, 9:09 AM
Razor blade dry for the worst and lacquer thinner, razor blade, and a rag worked for me. If it was very easy to remove I might have, but worked just fine still mounted. It does help if its easy to get the table out of the way (like the Jet I had.)