PDA

View Full Version : F-Clamp handle covers?

Rick Potter
12-31-2014, 3:59 PM
I picked up some of those small Chinese Bessey F-Clamps at HD. They are handy for jigs etc, but the handles are only about 1/2", and too small for my old hands to tighten them well.

I wonder if anyone has ideas about how to make them bigger without making a project of it. Something like tricycle grips? I have about 20 of them.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks

Kent A Bathurst
12-31-2014, 4:11 PM
Sure. Do this:

With a block plane, make flat areas on opposing sidds of the handles.

Then, get a block of scrap wood, and make an elongated hole in it that matches - 2 rounded ends, with flat sides in between.

This is a key to fit over the handle, and crank it tight.

Bob Vavricka
12-31-2014, 4:13 PM
I got some too and know what you mean. I'm thinking I may drill a hole in the handle and making a cross bar like a C-clamp. Haven't decided what to use for the cross bar--maybe a 3/8 inch dowel.

Scott Brandstetter
12-31-2014, 5:11 PM
I'm in the same boat and thinking about getting electrical tape out and some rubber type material to wrap the handles with. Anyone also have problems with the rubber ends on each part of the clamp falling off.

Mark Bolton
12-31-2014, 6:44 PM
I cant imagine you couldnt find some rubber hose at a hose shop or auto parts that wouldnt slip tightly over the handles. Perhaps heater hose? Dishwasher hose? Get some thats a super tight fit and use a blow gun to drive some air into the end of the hose while you shove it on so you dont have to use any lube.

Ralph Okonieski
12-31-2014, 7:05 PM
I keep and use a small piece of soft rubber in the shop; I think it was from a larger piece of that stuff put under rugs to keep them from sliding on smooth floors. Not sure what it is called. It is pretty soft and flexible. I've also used those jar top removers for tightening smooth clamp handles.

Jim Andrew
12-31-2014, 7:39 PM
When you guys figure this out, sure hope you post your solution. I bought a bunch of heavy duty f clamps from Grizzly, they have wood handles, and I have trouble tightening them. And the jorgenson f clamps as well.

John Holton
12-31-2014, 9:15 PM
Hockey Tape works well, I've also tried to Plasti-Dip them but it seems less durable to me. One could also try some replacement foam bicycle handles but in the end the hockey tape solution fits my needs.

glenn bradley
12-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Measure to be sure but, IIRC 3/4" plastic hose (also from HD) should slip on once warmed in hot water and increase your handle size by about 1/4" and give you a better grip. I just cut grooves in mine and dipped them in Plasti-Dip but, this does little to increase diameter.

Bob Michaels
01-01-2015, 1:31 AM
Rick, I have an issue with wood handles of all sizes. I have probably 4 dozen Bessey K clamps with wood handles. I wrapped them with old fashion friction tape and it made a huge difference. Got it from Amazon. Even wrapped tiny clamp handles and it works great. Doesn't add appreciably to handle size, but, makes a great deal of difference with gripping.

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2015, 6:30 AM
I cut flats on mine which helps, but have been going to come up with a assist myself. Spraying the screws with TopCote helps, and polishing the screws on a buffing wheel does as well.

My idea for an assist was to cut a square into the top of the handles and make a handle that slips on the square with a matching female square cut on the mortising machine, but its still on my to do list. Getting older though, so need to get on that.

I have about 50 Columbia clamps that have a triangle shaped handle which is perfect, but the locking mechanism is wearing out on all of them. I should look and see how hard it would be to transfer the handles to the Jorgansens.

Curt Harms
01-01-2015, 8:20 AM
I'm not sure about durability or how to attach it but foam pipe insulation would increase the diameter and should be easy to grip. Maybe wrap the outside with some sort of grip tape to protect from wear?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24421-1410-P10XB/6_0__?productId=3133243&Ntt=pipe+insulation&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpipe%2Binsulation&facetInfo=

Bill McNiel
01-01-2015, 2:38 PM
Rockler sells soft handle covers that I used on all my old Bessey clamps. Worked really well. Not sure about the inside diameter but I'm sure you could wrap the handle with some tape first if needed.

David Nelson1
01-01-2015, 3:12 PM
+1 for the hockey tape. The trick to it is not to just flat wrap but to pull off a good length and give it spin fora spiral twist then flat wrap gives ya a better grip.

Kent A Bathurst
01-01-2015, 3:42 PM
Sure. Do this:

With a block plane, make flat areas on opposing sidds of the handles.

Then, get a block of scrap wood, and make an elongated hole in it that matches - 2 rounded ends, with flat sides in between.

This is a key to fit over the handle, and crank it tight.

Here's a photo - heavy-duty F-style cabinet clamps. Cut flats in handles on the BS. Flat sides greatly increases grip, but in case I need to really crank on them, I use the keys.

You can see two "keys" or "wrenches" in the background.

Carl Carew
01-01-2015, 3:51 PM
Just yesterday I was having a discussion with a fellow woodworker about the difficulty of really cranking those round handles down hard when you need that extra squeeze. All the ideas mentioned above have merit but both of us used the same approach. If I really need to squeeze I grab a couple of my old pony pipe clamps. Still use the F clamps for most work but also go for the old ponys.

Lee Reep
01-01-2015, 5:25 PM
Check out Lee Valley's Flex-Rap tape. They also sell a product called friction guard tape. The Flex-Rap is great, and reasonably priced. I think it may also be same stuff as what is sold in drug stores to wrap over gauze bandages. It is rubbery tape that sticks to itself but has no adhesive.