PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Crystal Engraving

Tom Sieczkarek
12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Happy New Year everyone! Had a customer call that wants engraving done on a back of a watch. He says the material is mineral crystal. Has anyone tried to or engraved this with a C02 laser? The only info i found is the following;"Mineral crystal is glass, which is composed of several elements that aid in resisting scratches (it is seven times harder than acrylic crystal). It is generally found on more expensive watches." Would you even try? I am at a big "no" at this point , but wanted to through it out there to see if anyone has done this. THANKS, as always your input is always appreciated.

Mike Null
12-31-2014, 11:47 AM
I would not think of trying it. It may work but I would be afraid of the crystal shattering.

Gary Hair
12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
I'd use Iknonics laser tape and sandblast it. I have 180 grit that would be gentle enough to give it a nice etch.

Tom Sieczkarek
12-31-2014, 1:06 PM
Thats what I was thinking Mike. Sandblasting may work but with something that small.......PASS on this one! Thanks guys!!

Dan Hintz
01-02-2015, 7:41 AM
A bit late now, I suppose, but I would have done it. Unless the glass was tempered, it should etch as well as any other glass.

John Frazee
01-02-2015, 11:34 AM
My son worked for Northrop Grumman growing some kind of mineral crystals. They grow these for months at extremely high temperatures. Temps in the thousands. I tried to laser etch into a scrap piece and it wouldn't work. I have a 60 watt. It was too hard for me to get anything decent. I don't know if it could be about the same monster or not. They grow so many different ones.