PDA

View Full Version : Second panel saw finished

Jeff Wittrock
12-30-2014, 8:45 PM
I recently made a 24" rip panel saw here
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?224355-Panel-saw-build&highlight=

I had enough steel left for another 24" saw and was originally thinking of making a duplicate crosscut saw. Instead I decided to make a short 20" crosscut panel saw and try something other than the London pattern handle.

Everything was done pretty much as I did in the other thread, but since I made it 8TPI, it was easy enough to just file the teeth instead of rough cutting them with the wet saw like I did with the rip saw.
The handle is Black Walnut that I "borrowed" from a board that my wife picked for some picture frames. I figure she would not miss a little 8" section of her board, and I'll probably use the saw when I make her frames anyhow.

Leigh Betsch
12-30-2014, 9:09 PM
Great looking saw! And what great timing. I just logged in to the Creek to see if I could get some inspiration and I see your great looking saw! I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll create another post with saw questions.

Ron Bontz
12-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Looks nice. My compliments.

Stewie Simpson
12-31-2014, 4:43 AM
Very nice looking panel saw Jeff. My compliments on the shape and finish of the handle.

All the very best for 2015.

regards; Stewie.

Jim Matthews
12-31-2014, 8:52 AM
Well done.

Any 'test drive' yet?

I'm always keen to see the row of cutline
on the endgrain - it's the diagnostic for
a finely made saw.

Clean and even - well sharpened.
Crowdes and ragged - my saw sharpening technique needs work.

Jeff Wittrock
01-01-2015, 4:15 PM
Thanks Leigh,

I have always enjoyed looking at the infill planes you have made, so looking forward to seeing some saws as well.

Jeff Wittrock
01-01-2015, 4:34 PM
Thanks all,

Had a chance to use all of my saws the last couple of days as I make my wife some arts and crafts style frames.
The crosscut works well, though I have to admit, while I was ripping the long pieces for frames, I came to really appreciate having the rip saw as compared to what I was using before. I usually dread long rip cuts, but now it is a little more enjoyable.

Slowly, (and not so surely) I have been building up various tools over the last few years, and am finally getting to the point that I don't have to compromise so much when I do decide to make something.