PDA

View Full Version : Got new DeWalt DC330 Jigsaw - no light! Any practical way to add a light?

Doug Hobkirk
12-30-2014, 5:51 PM
I have lots of DeWalt 18V tools and several batteries and chargers. My son gave me a DC330 (D-handle, XRP) I put in a new Bosch blade (fantastic - I think it's the best jig saw blade I've ever used) and the cut was beautiful. Faster and better than my corded barrel grip Hitachi. The variable speed blower works, although I can't think of many situations where I wouldn't want it "on."

But no light? How can that be in this day of million candlepower LED flashlights that sell for 99 cents?

Does anyone have a suggestion for adding a LED light to the tool? I can accept it being on whenever the battery is plugged in, but trigger control is obviously better.

I don't have much hope, but it's always good to ask rather than assuming.

For you folks who think I should swap it out for a Bosch or whatever, I welcome your suggestions. I believe the battery/charger is going to make the good alternatives too expensive. I think this only cost about $130 (it's a bare tool).

I hope everybody got excellent tools and wonderful family connections during the holidays! Peace

Charles Lent
12-31-2014, 3:50 PM
Not sure about adding it to your jigsaw, but Harbor Freight sells 2-packs of 9-LED flashlights for about $3.00/ 2-pack, a red one and a blue one. They are about 1" diameter and 3 1/2" long. A little square of female Velcro on the side of the flashlight and a similar little square of male Velcro on the right spot of the tool and you have cheap illumination that can be moved between tools. I do this with my routers when additional light is needed. Each flashlight holds 3 AAA batteries and, with good batteries, the light will stay pretty bright for over 8 hours continuous.

Charley

Bill McDermott
12-31-2014, 4:09 PM
I picked up a similarly cheap LED light at HD that was configured with a gooseneck. The battery pack piece has rare earth magnets on the side. I use it on my bandsaw as you would use it on your jigsaw. Ten bucks. Works fine.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/2f/2f927ff3-04e1-46c9-8443-10130021d098_400.jpg