PDA

View Full Version : Source for long spiral router bits ?

Mark Singer
07-21-2005, 8:58 AM
I need long up cut spiral carbide router bits for deep mortices. 3/8" or 1/2 " diameter.....does anyone know a good source. I need to make a 2 1/4" deep mortise so a 3 1/2" would be miniumum ...I think.:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Greg Heppeard
07-21-2005, 9:08 AM
If you can do it in a couple of passes, Whiteside makes one that has a cutting length of 2"...4" over all length. 1/2" bit, 1/2" shank. #RU5200 or Woodcraft # 816263

Donnie Raines
07-21-2005, 9:11 AM
Last time I visited Woodcraft they had some rather long spiral bits made by Whiteside. The exact lenght I do not know.

However, there is a local(to me) shop that makes bits for your special needs. I have had several bits made there. They offer HSS and carbon. They are rather costly(I would say I avg in the 90 buck area for the ones I had made).

If you do not have any luck picking one up via a store, I would be happy to help cordinate a transaction through the local shop(or give you their info).

Mark Singer
07-21-2005, 9:16 AM
Thank you both...at Woodcraft the longest I found was 3 1/2"
I just found this source:
http://www.american-carbide.com/Woodworking/RB.aspx

Will a compression bit cut similar to an up cut spiral?

Dave Richards
07-21-2005, 9:17 AM
Mark, you could check with Magnate (magnate.net I think). They make long router bits for use with the Legacy Ornamental Mills.

Donnie Raines
07-21-2005, 9:35 AM
Thank you both...at Woodcraft the longest I found was 3 1/2"
I just found this source:
http://www.american-carbide.com/Woodworking/RB.aspx

Will a compression bit cut similar to an up cut spiral?

The one compression bit I own(ed) did not fair well when compared to a tradtional spiral bit. It seems to me that the compression bit did not have as many "threads" to improve cutting quailty...thus to remove debris as you cut.

Lee DeRaud
07-21-2005, 9:39 AM
Thank you both...at Woodcraft the longest I found was 3 1/2"The one Greg referred to is here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8000
(scroll down aways, 6 up from the bottom)

$63, marked "Ships direct from manufacturer", so probably not stocked at the stores. 4" overall length, 2" cutter length, 1/2" diameter.

Mark Singer
07-21-2005, 9:40 AM
Dave ,

That looks like a good source! I will call them....Thanks!

Mark, you could check with Magnate (magnate.net I think). They make long router bits for use with the Legacy Ornamental Mills.

Dave Richards
07-21-2005, 9:46 AM
Hope they can help you out.

By the way, my understanding of a compression bit is that they are designed to prevent tear out along both surfaces. This would be useful when trimming laminated counters or whatever when both faces have laminate on them. I don't think they'd work well for mortising because the upper part of the bit would be trying to push chips into the hole.

Ralph Barhorst
07-21-2005, 9:47 AM
Mark,

I have several end mills that work fine. I got them from EBBBBay. They are pretty cheap. It is best to get them with 2 flutes, but the 4 fluted ones work well too.

I use 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" endmills because I have those collets for my router.

Jim Becker
07-21-2005, 9:49 AM
Contact Richard at MicroFence.com. He carries the Onsrud cutters and may be able to help you out. Very high quality...nice stuff.

Jim W. White
07-21-2005, 9:51 AM
Mark,

This place carries the entire Whiteside line. I've ordered from them before and was quite pleased. They have the 4" model referred to above.

www.routerbits.com (http://www.routerbits.com)

..Jim W

Chris Padilla
07-21-2005, 1:01 PM
Mark,

I have several end mills that work fine. I got them from EBBBBay. They are pretty cheap. It is best to get them with 2 flutes, but the 4 fluted ones work well too.

I use 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" endmills because I have those collets for my router.

I've often wondered if endmills could work well in wood. They are very cheap comapred to woodworking "endmills" (i.e the spiral bits Mark is referring to).

Don Baer
07-21-2005, 1:13 PM
I've often wondered if endmills could work well in wood. They are very cheap comapred to woodworking "endmills" (i.e the spiral bits Mark is referring to).

Chris,
They work very well but I don't think they are cheap, not if you get the good ones. I have used them in the past and get no tearout. My Neighbor who is a cabinate maker saw me using one one time cutting mortices and was amazed at how well they worked.

John Renzetti
07-21-2005, 1:19 PM
Contact Richard at MicroFence.com. He carries the Onsrud cutters and may be able to help you out. Very high quality...nice stuff.

I have the Onstrud catalog and some of their cutters and definetly agree with Jim that they are high quality. I'm pretty sure they have the length cutters you need.
take care,
John

Frank Chaffee
07-21-2005, 3:03 PM
Our very own Keith Outten has suggested using milling cutters for routing wood. J & L Industrial is nearly as fast at shipping as McMasterCarr, but I think they are less expensive and offer a greater selection, as well.

Frank

Oh! One more thought; be aware that some cutters are not designed to plunge cut.

Ian Barley
07-21-2005, 5:55 PM
Another vote for the quality of Onsrud cutters from me

Alan Turner
07-21-2005, 8:58 PM
Mark,
I have a 5" long, by 1/2" diameter, solid carbide end mill, from Bentz Tooling, near or in San Jose, CA. Two flute is what you want for wood. I use mine is the slot mortiser, at 4000 rpm. I wouldn't want this guy spinning much faster. I think the shank is a bit over 1/2", however, but that is fine in my Griggio HSM. Might check with them. The quality out of this smaller shop is excellent.

Or, you could spring for a slot mortiser. Once you use one, it is hard to do without. Quick and accurate. I haven't seen you with a new toy for awhile. Surely you deserve one.