PDA

View Full Version : Is a CO2 w/ 25w enough?

jon christlieb
12-30-2014, 9:21 AM
Guys will a CO2 w/ 25w get me through powdercoating and anodized aluminum with 2 passes? I am looking at a Epilog Mini and this is the types of jobs it would be used for.

Bill George
12-30-2014, 9:35 AM
Jon I do not have an answer for you, I know the Synrad or metal tubes have more apparent power than the glass tubes of the same wattage but never did any engraving on powder coating.

Ross Moshinsky
12-30-2014, 9:40 AM
Anodized won't be a problem. Powder coating is another story. Sometimes it might be okay and other times you'll have problems. Engraving powder coated materials you're going down to base material and the thickness and type of coating will play a huge role in how effectively you can engrave it.

jon christlieb
12-30-2014, 9:44 AM
I appreciate your responses and honesty guys. The powdercoating will vary as it is part of the design. The other thing I have found is that this system doesnt have the exhaust or compressors. Any ideas on cost of these items? I am trying to research but I dont have alot of time to give this guy a answer so.

Bruce Volden
12-30-2014, 9:45 AM
YES. That's what I started with in 1995. My buddy has a powdercoat business and I had no problem burning through. Anodized works fine as has already been stated.

Bruce

Bill George
12-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I appreciate your responses and honesty guys. The powdercoating will vary as it is part of the design. The other thing I have found is that this system doesnt have the exhaust or compressors. Any ideas on cost of these items? I am trying to research but I dont have alot of time to give this guy a answer so.

For the equivalent of what comes with the Rabbit or other Chinese lasers you would need to spend maybe $200, for better quality maybe $500 or more. The first is for a aquarium air pump and a inexpensive exhaust fan with some metal or vinyl flex duct.
I am using the cheaper setup, because I am maybe 6 feet or so from exhausting outside.

Mike Null
12-30-2014, 10:28 AM
I also started with a 25 watt ULS and could do most engraving work. it was the cutting that was a problem. You can do powder coat. It may take three passes but you'll get good results.

I would also look at Rayjet and ask them about the Sawmill Creek discount.

Frank barry
12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi well if it was me i would send samples to both and see what you get back and if that is all you are going to do I would look at a rotary engraver the big advantage you have is you know what you want the machine to do I know I do all of my coated work with a rotary and have never tried it on my laser
just my taught good luck with your project Frank

jon christlieb
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
I reached out a couple times to Trotec about the Rayjet and never get good help. Also it seems like alot of these places dont really do much of a discount for Sawmill if at all. One place sent me pricing and it was the same as what is advertised on their site and they said that included the discount.