PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Laser 60w or Epilog Mini 25w?

jon christlieb
12-30-2014, 7:48 AM
I just got a opportunity to get a Epilog Mini 25w locally but was also quoted a Rabbit system 60w. Trying to decide between the two, as stated in previous posts I will mostly be etching through powdercoating and anodized aluminum. All other stuff I will use Thermark, but I wanted to know can you upgrade the CO2 tubes easily and still be cost affective (down the road)? Just deciding on if I should just go with the Rabbit for the power as they are going to both be about the same price (Epilog is 2008 model and Rabbit is new). I also understand the power but as time isnt a huge thing right now I think more passes should be ok.

Dont have alot of time to decide so I was hoping you guys could help.

Dave Sheldrake
12-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Upgrade a Rabbit to 80 watt think $650
Upgrade the Epilog to 80 watt (if it were possible) think $7,000

If you aren't worried about speed (judging by the agreement to doing 3 passes) I'd go with the Rabbit and do it in one. (I don't like Epilogs having owned 3 of them) but the HX machines from Rabbit are the best of the Chinese stuff by far.

cheers

Dave

jon christlieb
12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Awesome thank you.

Dave Sheldrake
12-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Bert Kemp (on here) has one of the new Rabbit 60 watters Jon, I have 3 of the same HX machines here, never had any problems with them.

cheers

Dave

John Noell
12-30-2014, 12:25 PM
I would just add that 25 watts is really LOW power. I think you would be frustrated. It isn't just needing more passes. You simply won't get as deep with 25 watts. I am extremely happy with the difference between my Shenhui 80 watt and my Epilog 45 watt.

Bert Kemp
12-30-2014, 3:38 PM
Jon not that I'm bias or anything:D but I'm sure the Rabbit has a much bigger bed size. 25 watts is going to be a lot of passes to get powder coat. I haven't tried it with my 60 watt but I'm sure it would be easier then 25. also like others have said its easy up grade to 80 watts if needed. I'm going to have to look around the garage see if I have anything powder coated and try it out.:)

jon christlieb
12-31-2014, 7:29 AM
Thank you guys for all the advice, you are the best.

Bill George
12-31-2014, 9:39 AM
It seems the Epilogs aren't entirely trouble free nor is the Universal. The disadvantage I see with them is the control or main control panel is an expensive repair and even thou the metal tubes are tougher and last long it seems they are expensive to repair or replace. From what I understand the software is better and support is US or UK based. They do have a speed advantage if you have enough power to take advantage of it.

Even the better Chinese machines, except for Rabbit, most support is non-existent via phone. If control boards or power supplies go bad they can be sourced other than the manufacture of the machine. They are slower and the software is marginal but gets the job done. Glass tube vs metal tube or replace vs repair don't have anything to compare to, except my 40 watt glass tube replacement cost was $250 and has a six month warranty.

I think you could purchase two or more good quality Chinese machines (so you would always have a backup if needed), for the price of one of the more expensive servo motor, synrad tube machines.

Dave Sheldrake
12-31-2014, 9:52 AM
+1 Bill, you pretty much have the same position as me, I've had all manner of lasers over the years from couple of thousand dollar piles to 7 figure machines and they all have their place. Their is no one best type of machine, it's what works for people.

I'm NOT a supporter of direct imports, too much trouble and in general aftersales support is marginal at best (and dire at worst) but buying Chinese in country can work out very well, I have 2 more Chinese made machines coming in the new year , One a CO2 Glavo that has only one line of job to do and the other an adaptive optics Oxygen assisted machine (I won't be using the metal facility, I don't need to I have dedicated machines for that) but it's ball screw / servo drives with adaptive head optics so will do what I want and at 3m x 2m will be big enough for the mundane sheet jobs.

It comes to Chinese made stuff, I will only ever buy from Two companies

(USA) Ray Scott @ RabbitlaserUSA and (UK) Chris Jacobs @ HPC Laser Ltd, both these guys are at the top of their game and have been great support over the years when I have needed stuff quickly.

cheers

Dave

Ray Scott
01-04-2015, 5:13 PM
I think i would agree with ALL of these comments.... Just to confirm.

Ray Scott
owner / engineer
....Rabbit Laser USA