PDA

View Full Version : a bowl and a platter

sascha gast
07-21-2005, 6:01 AM
another NIP project. bowl is about 18" dia, 9" tall, platter is cored from the same piece of wood and about 12" dia.
both were finish turned about 3 weeks ago and then i started the finishing process. this time i did about 15 sessions in the danish oil bath, about 12 hours at a time, so about 180 hours in oil, dried between baths.
wall thickness is 3/32 for the bowl(took 8 hours of turning including rough turning) and about 3 hours for the platter, about 1/8" and thinner at the rim.

thanx for looking

sascha

Dick Parr
07-21-2005, 7:45 AM
Sascha all that can be said is WOW :eek:

Those are beautiful. I really love what you do with that pine. :)

Fantastic job!

John Miliunas
07-21-2005, 8:03 AM
No offense, Dick, but "WOW" is an understatement!!! :D Those are drop dead awesome, Sasha! Especially that bowl just keeps me coming back to look again and again. Simply wonderful! Great job!!!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I really love how you are exercising the capacities of your new lathe as well as the wonderful work with the pine/oil. Awesome!

Ernie Nyvall
07-21-2005, 6:34 PM
Beautiful Sascha.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
07-21-2005, 7:26 PM
Sascha,

Simply beautiful!!!! Who'd a thought to soak wood in danish oil for a Buh-Zillion hours with drying in between baths could turn out so well. Thanks for sharing the pics.

sascha gast
07-22-2005, 4:24 AM
thanx guys, i just ordered another bunch of tha wood, small sizes though, but i still have another 13 pieces of up to 20" dia from my last shipment and now another 11 around 8" dia.
we'll see when they come in

sascha

Steve Plunkett
07-22-2005, 4:23 PM
Sascha,
I love seeing your work. Very inspiring.

Jason Solodow
07-24-2005, 9:56 PM
Sascha-

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! I love it! However, I would like to know where you get that wood. Please send me a PM or something to let me know who you get it from and how much you pay for it.. If memory serves you dry the wood in DNA, right?

Jason

sascha gast
07-24-2005, 11:53 PM
hey jason, i got that wood on ebay, from a guy from florida, i paid 70cents/pound and ordered 1000 pounds, about 14 chunks from 13 to 20" in diameter.
shipping was via trucking company, i paid about $450 for it so it's not a steal. this is not something i will order all the time, even though i have another 11 small pieces coming from the same guy, he contacted me. only about 8" or so in diameter. 3 boxes via UPS.
and NO, i stopped drying in DNA, i use kirkland dishwashing soap now, mixed equal parts with water. i have about 22 gallons of it in a 44g rubbermaid trash can. haven't tried it on many woods yet, but have great results, not so much drying i out, but lubricating it and preventing warping and cracking. i turn those NIP bowls with the pith in and they don't crack. i am trying regular pine right now and it seems to work great.

sascha

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Sascha, you can also do similar pieces with Ponderosa Pine. It has some slight differences in look from the Norfolk Island Pine, but takes the oil very nicely. Here's a 10" piece done by Phil Brennion, AAW President and turner extraordinare that illustrates what it looks like. I bought it at the 2004 AAW Symposium in Orlando as part of the charity auction.

sascha gast
07-25-2005, 3:03 PM
jim, that one looks awesome. i just finished turning a chunk of regular pine, don't know if ponderosa pine would grow here, and it turned wonderful, smells great and even had some nice spalting.
the difference is the knots. i just got the 11 pieces in, the largest one is 10" dia, and has 8!!!! knots. the more knots the better, they bring the value up, but just for looks, i love pine. it gets even more translucent than NIP.
i still have many chunks in my yard, but first i'll be using my NIP, i got about 25 pieces left, some up to 20" in diameter, then i core out the center and make platters. once they sell, i can always buy mor NIP from florida.

thanx for the pic and i'll be looking up ponderosa pine and see if it's local

sascha

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 5:07 PM
Sascha, there is a lot of Ponderosa closer to you than Norfolk Island Pine...AZ, for example. 'Could be worth a nice field trip...maybe you could hook up with Rob Littleton in the Prescott area.