PDA

View Full Version : Press for cutting multiple layers of MDF board

John Bion
12-29-2014, 3:49 PM
Hi, My first post in this part of SMC.
I normaly cut mdf on my lasers/cnc router however I am looking to possibly start a new line and am looking for large press type machinery to cut multiple sheets of mdf at a time. The problem is that I do not really know what machinery to search for to accomplish this. Sugestions would be appreciated. Note: I am in England.
thanks in advance
John

Mark Bolton
12-29-2014, 8:58 PM
Id call Baleigh (sponsor here). If they can't get you started I'm sure theyll point you to someone who will.

Peter Quinn
12-29-2014, 9:57 PM
Here we call it a beam saw, not sure the term over here. Google beam saws. You can load multiple sheets on some of them and make repetitive parts.

John Bion
12-30-2014, 4:57 AM
Hi Mark and Peter, Thanks for your replies.
I am needing to cut a repeated and detailed design, possibly in the 10s of thousands, my thought was a pressured cookie cutter, with the cutter being interchangeable for other designs when the client requires a different size/shape. I would expect hydraulicaly powered. Any sugestions would be gratefuly received. I will go have a look at Baleigh now, thanks for that.
kind regards, John

John Bion
12-30-2014, 5:06 AM
Ok, I've been realy daft, it is die cutting I was after, hopefully I'm on my way now, thanks all.

Rick Lizek
12-30-2014, 6:56 AM
Diecutting is typically used on thin materials such as paper, balsa wood, gaskets and such. I would look at water jet cutting. Dies are very expensive. Contact some of the larger European machinery manufactures. I have been in the business over 40 years in factories and custom shops and I've never seen a diecutting machine for MDF. I get many trade journals and I have never seen anything on diecutting for MDF. It just doesn't seem practical or efficient for your needs. Google water jet cutting. On certain materials you can water jet up to 18 inches thick.

John Bion
12-30-2014, 7:17 AM
Thanks Rick,
I appreciate your advice.
I was looking at 2 and 3mm MDF, so hoping I could get away with it, but perhaps not after all. I would have used lasers, but this seems too slow unless I go to hugely expensive laser kit.
Blessings in the new year,
John

John Lanciani
12-30-2014, 8:00 AM
Diecutting is typically used on thin materials such as paper, balsa wood, gaskets and such. I would look at water jet cutting. Dies are very expensive. Contact some of the larger European machinery manufactures. I have been in the business over 40 years in factories and custom shops and I've never seen a diecutting machine for MDF. I get many trade journals and I have never seen anything on diecutting for MDF. It just doesn't seem practical or efficient for your needs. Google water jet cutting. On certain materials you can water jet up to 18 inches thick.

Somehow I'm thinking that water jet + MDF = one big mess to clean up, no?

Rick Lizek
12-30-2014, 8:42 AM
As usual people don't give enough info on what they are actually doing. That could change the options tremendously...

John Bion
12-30-2014, 9:47 AM
Hi Rick, sorry if I wasn’t and cannot be too specific, I am looking at cutting semi-rectangular pieces of MDF of 2 & 3 mm mdf with modified finger type joints for assembly. Included are various holes within these panels. If this sees the light of day, it will involve large production runs.
Kind Regards,
John