PDA

View Full Version : New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Roger Chandler
12-29-2014, 3:40 PM
Well.........my 2015 Grizzly catalog arrived today........been looking forward to getting it, because, for a few weeks, without any specific knowledge about it, I just had this inner feeling that there might be a new lathe model this year.........nah, maybe just a thought, but wait maybe that feeling is there for a reason! ;)

Sure enough, on page 146 of the new Grizz catalog, there she is! A bigger and upgraded model G0766! A 3hp, 22/42 lathe with Delta inverter and all the features of the G0733.........and a 22" swing ain't bad!

Now, the bed is 42" and my G0698 has a 47" bed.......if the gap in the ways is the same as the G0733. then I could just use the G0698 bed and have a unique 22/47 lathe! :D

While it is not my dream lathe, which is a Robust American Beauty, it is bigger in swing than a PM3520b, and has more hp to boot! .........Hummm...........Moma and the boys were good to me for Christmas..........hummm..........I talked with the tech guy at Grizzly, but they do not have the specs yet on the gap in the bed, but it sure looks the same as the G0733..........hummm........and it has a handwheel!!!! :D I should add the weight comes in at over 600 lbs.

Hummm...........I might just be the first to have a 22/47 lathe in my studio/shop!!! Whatcha think? :D

Doug Ladendorf
12-29-2014, 3:56 PM
I think someone is more than a little pumped! Now I have to check it out...

John M. Smith
12-29-2014, 3:58 PM
Can not find it online. Must only be in the print catalog yet.

Roger Chandler
12-29-2014, 4:03 PM
Can not find it online. Must only be in the print catalog yet.

Correct, John........it has been my experience that Grizzly changes their website to match the new catalog on New Years day or the day after, so unless you get the printed catalog, you cannot see it until then!

Adam Petersen
12-29-2014, 5:21 PM
What is the introductory price?

Roger Chandler
12-29-2014, 5:44 PM
What is the introductory price?

A bargain if you ask me! $1550! It has no basket with it in the picture, but when the website is updated, I will take a look at that, but I took the basket off my G0698 anyway.

Adam Petersen
12-29-2014, 5:47 PM
Well then, at that price I may jump on one too! Can't wait till it shows up online.

charlie knighton
12-29-2014, 7:15 PM
is that price for the headstock and tailstock or whole shebang.......seems if the gap is the same, all you would nedd to order is headstock and tailstock

Hayes Rutherford
12-29-2014, 7:58 PM
Roger, that's going to be a good seller for Grizzly. Your hybrid would be a winner as well if possible. I seem to remember a lengthy thred on the model you have and think Grizzly benefitted so they should just give you one to review!!

Roger Chandler
12-29-2014, 8:17 PM
Roger, that's going to be a good seller for Grizzly. Your hybrid would be a winner as well if possible. I seem to remember a lengthy thred on the model you have and think Grizzly benefitted so they should just give you one to review!!

I may just sell mine outright and the 5 inches in bed length I would lose I can use for room to turn off the end. Tech guys said tail stock & headstock would be in $1500 range, so may as well buy whole new lathe.

Yep Hayes.......I think Grizzly benefited from my postings [pure speculation on my part!]......I have had a very good experience with my G0698 for 5 years, but never has there been any mention of a unit to review or a thank you or diddly squat! :D I have zero affiliation with Grizzly and when I call them......they don't even act like they know me and have to look up my info! :rolleyes: Maybe they just did not realize until I posted about my positive experience with the 18/47 that in the turning community their lathe reputation was less than desirable, from the posts I read!

I think they have a good bargain for such a large lathe going here, so we may see..........maybe they feel like the product will stand on its own integrity!

James Conrad
12-29-2014, 9:38 PM
And here I thought my mind was made up on the new lathe! Hope my catalog shows up tomorrow!! Can you post pic of the catalog page for us??

Roger Chandler
12-29-2014, 9:55 PM
Here is a camera shot of the page......as you can see, it appears backwards, but it is page 146 of the 2015 catalog.

John Keeton
12-30-2014, 7:11 AM
Roger, I am not sure what happened with your pic of the page, but I flipped it for you. Looks like an interesting product, particularly for the price. My main concern would be that it appears all the added weight is well above the center of gravity and that may make this lathe less able to deal with out of balance blanks. If that is the case, then one is getting increased swing and more power, but less stability. No one will know, however, until someone buys it and gives a review. This is your chance......

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 7:29 AM
Roger, I am not sure what happened with your pic of the page, but I flipped it for you. Looks like an interesting product, particularly for the price. My main concern would be that it appears all the added weight is well above the center of gravity and that may make this lathe less able to deal with out of balance blanks. If that is the case, then one is getting increased swing and more power, but less stability. No one will know, however, until someone buys it and gives a review. This is your chance......

Mornin' JK! My plans were to add ballast by putting on shelf and weighting it down, like I did on my 18/47. My statement about the bed being possibly the same as the G0733 is just a guess on my part.... One cannot tell from the picture in the catalog........I was mainly referencing the gap ( how it looks)

likely the engineers beefed it up to account for the larger swing.

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2014, 9:56 AM

Also the lowest speed is 100 rpm. A 20+ chunk of unbalance wood could cause some problems, but at the price it seems like a lot of lathe?

David C. Roseman
12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Very interesting lathe, Roger. Especially the 3 hp motor and the swiveling headstock. Sounds like the AC 3-phase motor and VFD are both from Delta Electronics, as with the G0733. Very reliable performers, with good regional tech support from Delta in the U.S.

I also see that, at 662 lbs, the shipping weight is 115 lbs heavier than the G0733. So you may be right about the engineers beefing things up. Adding ballast to the base should bring running weight to near or above 1000 lbs. Like you, I added ballast to my G0733. I was able to increase it 450 lbs using nine bags of play sand and the lathe's packing materials for the cabinetry. I'm guessing you could add 375 or even 400 lbs to the G0766 the same way.

As you continue your due diligence, you may want to ask if Grizzly has added a braking resistor to the Delta VFD this time around. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice touch. The G0733 did not come with one even though the drive has dedicated terminals for it. I added one for about $30, but it requires unlocking the drive and changing some of the parameters. Perhaps Grizzly has now done that at the factory.

I'm with John. I can't think of anyone better suited to write a review of the G0766 for SMC. :cool:

David

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Also the lowest speed is 100 rpm. A 20+ chunk of unbalance wood could cause some problems, but at the price it seems like a lot of lathe?

I think the listing of 100 rpms is likely a situation where they just put specs to suit their needs. My experience with the G0698 was that it had a little hunt in the original 0-3200 or 0-1200 listing of the G0698 specs.....instead or resetting the inverter, they changed the advertised specs to what you now see....100-1200 low, and 300-3200 high, but my lathe will run along just fine at 60 rpm on the low setting and 100 rpm on the high belt setting. I have never put a piece of wood on that lathe that the speed was too high for as it relates to the low speed..........never been an issue whatsoever!

I agree, Bob......at least it sounds like a lot of lathe for the money!

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Very interesting lathe, Roger. Especially the 3 hp motor and the swiveling headstock. Sounds like the AC 3-phase motor and VFD are both from Delta Electronics, as with the G0733. Very reliable performers, with good regional tech support from Delta in the U.S.

I also see that, at 662 lbs, the shipping weight is 115 lbs heavier than the G0733. So you may be right about the engineers beefing things up. Adding ballast to the base should bring running weight to near or above 1000 lbs. Like you, I added ballast to my G0733. I was able to increase it 450 lbs using nine bags of play sand and the lathe's packing materials for the cabinetry. I'm guessing you could add 375 or even 400 lbs to the G0766 the same way.

As you continue your due diligence, you may want to ask if Grizzly has added a braking resistor to the Delta VFD this time around. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice touch. The G0733 did not come with one even though the drive has dedicated terminals for it. I added one for about $30, but it requires unlocking the drive and changing some of the parameters. Perhaps Grizzly has now done that at the factory.

I'm with John. I can't think of anyone better suited to write a review of the G0766 for TBN. :cool:

David

David.........no swiveling headstock! It is rotatable, meaning one can lift it off the ways and reposition it 180 degrees opposite, just like the G0733. A breaking resistor might be nice, but I do not think it is necessary. I have never had a piece just continue to run when I have turned the speed dial down. It just seems to decrease in proportion to the speed dial setting as I decrease the speed. When I have turned my unit off, it just slows down quickly without being violent about it....just a smooth stop.......sort of like approaching a red light in a car,.........it just slows when the brake is applied without screetching the tires! At least that is my experience with the 18/47.........YMMV! ;)

What does TBN stand for?

David C. Roseman
12-30-2014, 10:13 AM
I think the listing of 100 rpms is likely a situation where they just put specs to suit their needs. My experience with the G0698 was that it had a little hunt in the original 0-3200 or 0-1200 listing of the G0698 specs.....instead or resetting the inverter, they changed the advertised specs to what you now see....100-1200 low, and 300-3200 high, but my lathe will run along just fine at 60 rpm on the low setting and 100 rpm on the high belt setting. I have never put a piece of wood on that lathe that the speed was too high for as it relates to the low speed..........never been an issue whatsoever!

I agree, Bob......at least it sounds like a lot of lathe for the money!

FWIW, my G0733 handles heavy bowl blanks at 50 rpm, no problem and with no hunt. That's without tweaking the drive parameters, which could always be done (although I wouldn't do it during the warranty period).

David

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 10:16 AM
FWIW, my G0733 handles heavy bowl blanks at 50 rpm, no problem and with no hunt. That's without tweaking the drive parameters, which could always be done (although I wouldn't do it during the warranty period).

David

I agree.....no problems with slow rpms! I was posting the same time you were........what did TBN mean? Also, did you notice this new model has a handwheel?

David C. Roseman
12-30-2014, 10:18 AM
David.........no swiveling headstock! It is rotatable, meaning one can lift it off the ways and reposition it 180 degrees opposite, just like the G0733. [snip]

What does TBN stand for?

Ahh, thanks for the clarification on the headstock. Lifting and rotating that puppy 180 degrees is not something that I'd ever want to do, as long as there is room to slide it down to the opposite end. :eek:

Sorry about the TBN, I meant SMC! TBN is a tractor forum. I've corrected the post. :)

Yes, I saw they've added a handwheel. Very nice, that saves making one.

David

Randy Red Bemont
12-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Well that sounds like a good lathe. Maybe my catalog will come in today's mail. I have been considering the Grizzly G0632 but will take a good look at this new model.

Red

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 2:17 PM
After taking some time to go back and read details a little more carefully, I want to share what the Grizzly catalog says"

" This lathe is perfect for serious woodturners who want to turn large bowls, furniture pieces and other large-diamteter projects. With 22" of swing, a heavy duty 1-1/4" X 8 tpi, RH spindle, electronic variable peed control, and a 3 hp 3 phase motor than runs off single-phase power, using a variable frequency drive. this lathe has plenty of clearance and torque to easily rough-out big projects at low speeds. The Heavy duty cast iron bed and stand make this lathe extremely stable, and the headstock can rotate 180 degrees and positioned anywhere along the bed......"

Based upon this information in the catalog, my presumption would be that the legs and bed are built fairly heavy, as well as the spindle, as it is mentioned as heavy duty also, and the claim of stability is likely genuine. Just thought folk might want to hear this seeing the website won't be updated until new years.

Thomas Heck
12-30-2014, 2:39 PM
This sounds like a great deal. I bought a nova 1624-44 a few years ago. It works great. But, for the price this seems to be a step up and a lot cheaper than a powermatic.

Randy Red Bemont
12-30-2014, 2:59 PM
I just received my Grizzly catalog in the mail this afternoon. It looks to be a very nice lathe for the money ($1,550) Also the G0632 has dropped down to $1,395. I need to decide on which one I will order in earl spring.

Red

David C. Roseman
12-30-2014, 4:05 PM
I just received my Grizzly catalog in the mail this afternoon. It looks to be a very nice lathe for the money ($1,550) Also the G0632 has dropped down to $1,395. I need to decide on which one I will order in earl spring.

Red

Red or Roger - Did the 2015 catalog price drop for the G0733 as well? For 2014 it's been $1695 (can't recall exactly what I paid in 2012, but I also had the 5% coupon from the 2012 catalog). So at $1550, the G0766 would be $140 less. That's pretty remarkable.

Roger, I know you've been happy with your G0698, and my experience with the G0733 has been excellent. The G0766 looks like a larger, beefed-up version of the G0733, with a 3 hp AC motor and the same or better Delta VFD. You could probably confirm that by comparing the parts numbers for the drives, etc. on the two lathes using the parts lists on Grizzly's website once the G0766 is posted next week. So I doubt there would be significant unknown issues to sort out as on many new products. I don't mean to encourage you to do anything rash, but were I even thinking about getting an additional lathe, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my shop. :)

David

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 4:29 PM
Red or Roger - Did the 2015 catalog price drop for the G0733 as well? For 2014 it's been $1695 (can't recall exactly what I paid in 2012, but I also had the 5% coupon from the 2012 catalog). So at $1550, the G0766 would be $140 less. That's pretty remarkable.

Roger, I know you've been happy with your G0698, and my experience with the G0733 has been excellent. The G0766 looks like a larger, beefed-up version of the G0733, with a 3 hp AC motor and the same or better Delta VFD. You could probably confirm that by comparing the parts numbers for the drives, etc. on the two lathes using the parts lists on Grizzly's website once the G0766 is posted next week. So I doubt there would be significant unknown issues to sort out as on many new products. I don't mean to encourage you to do anything rash, but were I even thinking about getting an additional lathe, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my shop. :)

David

The price remained $1695 on the G0733....I am about 85% there on pulling the trigger on this, David! Parts list and schematic drawings next for my inspection. Will likely go to Muncy, PA and pick it up!

Randy Red Bemont
12-30-2014, 4:46 PM
I see Roger beat me to it. The G0733 is at $1,695.

Red

James Conrad
12-30-2014, 6:24 PM
On paper, between the G0733 and the G0766, seems the only minus depending on the type of turnings you do, is the 5" less between centers. Can't see much else missing really, and is $145 less...

You might have to race the freight truck to my door to see who gets it first Roger!

Robert Henrickson
12-30-2014, 7:06 PM
What does "3 HP" mean? How might it compare the "3 HP" of other brands? More? Less? All sorts of claims get made for horsepower with power tools, but the same number of horsepower doesn't always mean the same useful power. Various measurements and criteria are used. Where does Grizzly fit?

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 7:26 PM
What does "3 HP" mean? How might it compare the "3 HP" of other brands? More? Less? All sorts of claims get made for horsepower with power tools, but the same number of horsepower doesn't always mean the same useful power. Various measurements and criteria are used. Where does Grizzly fit?

I am not sure that the purchaser can evaluate that accurately before the purchase Robert. I am sure it would take specialized testing equipment, properly operated, to test to accurately assess this measurement of horsepower. I am not sure what lathe you have, but lets just say its a PM 3520b,.....can you accurately assess the questions you ask about the G0766. On your lathe.........could you have done so, before you purchased it, or do you have the equipment to do so?

Perhaps my thinking is way off base here, ......perhaps there is some way to take specs and translate technical data and make an apples to apples comparison, but that is beyond my pay grade.........if you have that sort of information, .......we would all welcome your guidance on how to make those proper comparisons!

These questions are not meant in a sarcastic way at all......I really would love to be able to accurately take technical data and make a good judgement, if you know how, and can share that info, I would appreciate it, very much! :)

The only other thing that I know to do at this point is to take my previous experience with my current Grizzly lathe, and the collective experiences of several owners of the G0733, and make an educated guess on what is being offered by Grizzly in the G0766. I know Powermatic has the 3520b, 2 hp and the 4224 with 3 hp, so from what I have seen posted by owners, there is a significant improvement in power in their two models, so I would think the same thing would probably hold true with the G0733 and the upgraded motor on the G0766. If you have info that is different, please chime in .....thanks Robert!

charlie knighton
12-30-2014, 7:33 PM
question is bigger better?????????????

how many times have you wanted to do a piece but your lathe was too small????????

I just do not have anywhere to put large turnings.....I have a friend out west that has large pottery outside, but even their lack of rain, woodturnings finish would not hold up outside

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 7:36 PM

how many times have you wanted to do a piece but your lathe was too small????????

I just do not have anywhere to put large turnings.....I have a friend out west that has large pottery outside, but even their lack of rain, woodturnings finish would not hold up outside

For me personally, Charlie.......I have several reasons for wanting a bigger lathe. That is my motivation, and is probably unique to me, and my personal circumstances, which I will not share on a message board that goes around the world, but let's just say in balance, I am thinking I will get a lot of bang for the buck, and not have to change chucks and other accessories I already have invested in previously.

Doug Ladendorf
12-30-2014, 9:32 PM
To compare apples to apples I compare the Amp draw rather than "horsepower" as interpreted by the company (or their marketing department). For example the Delta midi lathe is advertised with a 1 HP motor, yet it only draws 8 Amps. My older Delta with a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 Amps.

It would be interesting to compare the Amp specs of the Grizzly 2 and 3 HP motors with the PM equivalent, and with older motors as well. I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference though.

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 9:42 PM
To compare apples to apples I compare the Amp draw rather than "horsepower" as interpreted by the company (or their marketing department). For example the Delta midi lathe is advertised with a 1 HP motor, yet it only draws 8 Amps. My older Delta with a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 Amps.

It would be interesting to compare the Amp specs of the Grizzly 2 and 3 HP motors with the PM equivalent, and with older motors as well. I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference though.

I do know that the G0766 is listed in the catalog as needing a power supply of 15 amps with 220v......... the specs on the PM 3520b are 6 amps on the 2 hp motor and needs a 20 amp circuit power supply. My G0698 is 2 hp and draws 12 amps. Not sure exactly how that translates in difference.......most likely in motor efficiency.

Doug Ladendorf
12-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Also need to keep in mind these are 3-phase motors so if 6 Amps is on the motor plate it would be like 18 Amps at 120V and run 9 Amps at 240V through the VFD. (Somebody flag me down if I'm getting this all wrong.)

Duane Meadows
12-30-2014, 11:29 PM

If a 3/4 HP motor draws 9.8 amps, it's about 50% efficient. The efficiency of the G0698 would be just a bit higher than that. Possible, yes, but a bit of speculation with out more data.

Because PM recommends a 20 amp circuit, doesn't mean the lathe will pull 20 amps. I pretty much guarantee it doesn't May just mean the supply a 20 Amp plug.

Amps doesn't really tell me much more than HP. Roger is right about the efficiency thing. Without knowing that, it's still an apples/oranges thing.

Roger, I am really looking forward to seeing more on the G0766. Think I might be interested in it especially at that intro price!

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2014, 7:39 AM
One or two issues with the electrical supply requirement. A motor may draw more current when starting than after its running. The breaker and building wiring needs to be able to handle the over-current. Secondly, code requires certain size breakers depending on normal draw to allow for when the motor is under load. Certain wire size and plug type are required depending on breaker size. Electrical code is created by fire insurance companies to prevent fires.

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):
The horsepower used for electrical machines is defined as exactly 746 W. ... The nameplates on electrical motors show their power output, not their power input. Outside the United States watts or kilowatts are generally used for electric motor ratings and in such usage it is the input power that is stated.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2014, 9:26 AM
One or two issues with the electrical supply requirement. A motor may draw more current when starting than after its running. The breaker and building wiring needs to be able to handle the over-current. Secondly, code requires certain size breakers depending on normal draw to allow for when the motor is under load. Certain wire size and plug type are required depending on breaker size. Electrical code is created by fire insurance companies to prevent fires.

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):

The horsepower used for electrical machines is defined as exactly 746 W. ... The nameplates on electrical motors show their power output, not their power input. Outside the United States watts or kilowatts are generally used for electric motor ratings and in such usage it is the input power that is stated.

Thom.........you are correct about the draw of power. My current lathe draws 12 amps.......I have it on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. A motor listed with a 3hp output is a motor with 3 hp output as far as I know. Since I cannot at this point actually look at a G0766 motor [the units will not be in stock for 6 weeks, from what the tech guy at Grizzly told me] then I will just have to believe the power is similar in nature to a 3 hp motor on a PM unit or a Jet [if it had a 3 hp unit]

Power transfer is another part of the equation.........how that power is transferred to the spindle.........this lathe is basically the same as others......so not sure what Robert's concern was when he asked about where Grizzly hp rating fit. That kind of info probably could be supplied by an electrical engineer, but not by me! ;)

Robert Henrickson
12-31-2014, 9:43 AM
...so not sure what Robert's concern was when he asked about where Grizzly hp rating fit. That kind of info probably could be supplied by an electrical engineer, but not by me! ;)

The discussion of amps drawn etc (such as Thom's comment about input and output) and other aspects of comparison was exactly what I was interested in finding out, from whoever might know something. Electrical matters and me are fundamentally incompatible (an early undergrad course in electricity and magnetism made me decide my intended physics/astronomy major was not going to happen -- I ended up with a BA in Latin and graduate study in Near Eastern archaeology!).

As Thom noted, start up may require higher draw than running once started. I found that with my Jet.

David C. Roseman
12-31-2014, 9:55 AM
The price remained $1695 on the G0733....I am about 85% there on pulling the trigger on this, David! Parts list and schematic drawings next for my inspection. Will likely go to Muncy, PA and pick it up!

That's sure a beautiful drive up the Susquehanna, and you could kick the tires in the showroom before committing. We did that for our G0733, but combined it with a visit to see good turning friends in Bloomsburg, just down the road. Grizzly would probably ship it for about $150. That would be tempting.

John Keeton
12-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Perhaps Roger can find out whether the spindle has double or triple bearings and whether they are sealed. That might be another consideration.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Perhaps Roger can find out whether the spindle has double or triple bearings and whether they are sealed. That might be another consideration.

John, I know for sure my G0698 has double sealed bearings (2 of them) same with the G0733. On the new G0766, the picture in the catalog shows an extended spindle to accommodate the hand wheel. I do not know if they added an additional bearing, but I am certain they use high quality sealed bearings. The only difference in the bearings on my current lathe and the 3520b is they are just a little larger on the 3520b....I ordered a set for my lathe but have not needed to swap them out as the originals are still just fine.

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Only in some cases. Motors are typically run at 50-100% load with 75% load considered optimum. So the question is how much do you load the motor on a lathe ? answer depends on what you turn - how big and how fast. I recently started turning miniatures and use the highest RPM my lathe will give me. My wife asked if I could not use a smaller lathe better and found one designed for turning miniatures - it runs 1000RPM to 5000RPM and is only 11" long. Uses collets for chucking.

Roger seems to think that he needs bigger, so for him YES bigger is better.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2014, 2:57 PM
Only in some cases. Motors are typically run at 50-100% load with 75% load considered optimum. So the question is how much do you load the motor on a lathe ? answer depends on what you turn - how big and how fast. I recently started turning miniatures and use the highest RPM my lathe will give me. My wife asked if I could not use a smaller lathe better and found one designed for turning miniatures - it runs 1000RPM to 5000RPM and is only 11" long. Uses collets for chucking.

Roger seems to think that he needs bigger, so for him YES bigger is better.

while my current lathe is 2 hp, I want to get a coring rig at some point. My current lathe will handle it, but additional power will mean less stress on motor & electrical components, so longevity is in my mind and I think a larger lathe will handle it better.

One of several reasons why!

Doug Ladendorf
12-31-2014, 7:23 PM
My catalog came today. It does look good and I would love to hear someone's experience. The one thing that surprises me is the 15Amp power supply for a 3HP motor. I guess it's just under the 80% rule.

Ralph Lindberg
12-31-2014, 9:33 PM
We need to remember that Grizzly is often, ah optimistic about their horse-power claims vrs actual power consumed.
Like their lathe that gets 2HP from a 120V @ 15 amp circuit.
That being said, this lathe appears to be a great possibility.

A few years ago the owner of Grizzly (and ShopFox) was active on another wood-working forum, he entered a discussion of his (then) line up of lathes, and got an education on their short comings (unique thread sizing on heads, really high minimum speeds, etc). I noticed that many of the lathes got their specs changed in the next couple years, common thread sizing (1x8, 1-1/4x8, etc), better low end speeds, etc.

I wonder why I haven't gotten a Grizzly catalog yet, maybe I have fallen off their list as I haven't bought anything in 6 or 7 years (industrial band-saw was the last big ticket item)

J.D.Redwine
01-01-2015, 11:34 AM
From the Burt Group website:02) Motor(W): 2200W (input), 1500W(output)

Ralph Lindberg
01-01-2015, 12:43 PM
That mean's it's only drawing 10 amps and producing ~2HP, although it does consume ~3HP

Roger Chandler
01-01-2015, 1:02 PM
you know guys, I am not worried about all this motor stuff.....just me personally. I read those same stats J.D. listed in his post above, but with electronic inverters and such all this stuff is tuned and I think this is still a lot of lathe for the money, and I am going to post my experience with this.

I have turned on 9 different 3520b machines and one Robust American Beauty with a 3 hp motor..........I have stalled both the Robust and the 3520b with too heavy a cut. I think this stuff is all perspective and what the issue is for me is coring [when I finally get a coring rig] I believe this lathe will handle that with ease, because I read a post or two over the years from others that have a G0698 like mine and they cored just fine on it, and this lathe is a step up in power and electronic inverter over what I have now.

Brian Myers
01-01-2015, 1:03 PM
My catalog came today. It does look good and I would love to hear someone's experience. The one thing that surprises me is the 15Amp power supply for a 3HP motor. I guess it's just under the 80% rule.

Powermatic 4224b lists the motor as 3hp and has a FLA of 10 amps .

Doug Ladendorf
01-01-2015, 2:03 PM
Powermatic 4224b lists the motor as 3hp and has a FLA of 10 amps .

Yeah, in the manual the "Listed FLA" is 10 amps which I believe is what the motor plate has listed on it. That would be 10 amps for each leg of three phase, so at 220V single phase it would be 15 amps (going into the VFD). They list a 20 amp breaker under recommended breaker size. For 3 HP this makes sense to my admittedly limited understanding of electric motors.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Grizzly lathe. It looks to be a great value and something I might be interested in at some point. I just think it's wise to be an informed buyer, purchase with eyes wide open, know what you are getting (and what you are not getting). I'm very much looking forward to Roger's thoughts on his new lathe! I think he will love it.

Brian Myers
01-01-2015, 2:24 PM
It comes down to waiting to see what the reviews are of the from the first few buyers of the G0766. Would like to see the parts list once Grizzly has it on the website. Curious to see what they did for spindle bearings on this one.

Roger Chandler
01-01-2015, 2:29 PM
Yeah, in the manual the "Listed FLA" is 10 amps which I believe is what the motor plate has listed on it. That would be 10 amps for each leg of three phase, so at 220V single phase it would be 15 amps (going into the VFD). They list a 20 amp breaker under recommended breaker size. For 3 HP this makes sense to my admittedly limited understanding of electric motors.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Grizzly lathe. It looks to be a great value and something I might be interested in at some point. I just think it's wise to be an informed buyer, purchase with eyes wide open, know what you are getting (and what you are not getting). I'm very much looking forward to Roger's thoughts on his new lathe! I think he will love it.

Doug........if there is 15amps going into the inverter, on a PM3520b, I wonder if the 2200 watt [when converted to hp rating is almost 3 hp] listing on the input side is what is on each of the 3 phases and the 1500 output watts are what it is converted to for the lathe to transfer to the spindle? This all is over my head, but I think we would like to understand it better......perhaps we can get Bill Boehme to chime in and set us straight on all this!

Edit - I have emailed Bill, who is an electrical engineer with the respective links on this lathe and have asked him to chime in..........he will probably do it on the other thread where I ordered it, but we should get some definitive info on all this input/output power stuff and such when he gets time to take a look! I trust his judgment and knowledge on these issues!

Tim Boger
01-01-2015, 3:13 PM
FYI .... I just downloaded the 2015 Catalog from Grizzly, all the info as typically provided is available.

I currently turn on a Jet 14-42, for the most part I've got no complaints .... the variable speed via the Reeves drive is archaic, it still functions after 10 years of steady weekend usage.

That being said, damn that new Grizzly is calling my name! My one concern is the " rotating" head stock, does it simply unlock and spin like my Jet does? Being short legged I appreciate being able to turn my work towards me a little which makes getting good access much easier.

Tim

Roger Chandler
01-01-2015, 3:17 PM
FYI .... I just downloaded the 2015 Catalog from Grizzly, all the info as typically provided is available.

I currently turn on a Jet 14-42, for the most part I've got no complaints .... the variable speed via the Reeves drive is archaic, it still functions after 10 years of steady weekend usage.

That being said, damn that new Grizzly is calling my name! My one concern is the " rotating" head stock, does it simply unlock and spin like my Jet does? Being short legged I appreciate being able to turn my work towards me a little which makes getting good access much easier.

Tim

Tim, that just means you can take the headstock off and rotate it 180 degrees opposite what it would be if you wanted to put it in reverse and turn off the headstock end. I see no need for that because you can just slide it down towards the other end and turn off that end.......unless you are a lefty and prefer the other way. It is the same as the Jet 1642 evs or powermatic 3520b as far as rotating the headstock.

David C. Roseman
01-01-2015, 7:02 PM
Tim, that just means you can take the headstock off and rotate it 180 degrees opposite what it would be if you wanted to put it in reverse and turn off the headstock end. I see no need for that because you can just slide it down towards the other end and turn off that end.......unless you are a lefty and prefer the other way. It is the same as the Jet 1642 evs or powermatic 3520b as far as rotating the headstock.

Roger, as you pointed out earlier in the thread, this rotating headstock feature is the same as on my G0733. I, too, see no point in reversing the headstock, for a couple of reasons. It would put the headstock controls on the opposite side of the lathe, away from the turner, unless you walked to the other side. In which case you might as well just slide the headstock down to the tailstock end and remove the much lighter tailstock. Second, the headstock casting and motor are very heavy on the G0733, and no doubt heavier on the G0766. To reverse them 180 degrees, they must be lifted high enough for the cast indexing tongue to clear the center gap of the ways, then maneuvered and lowered back down without marring the cast iron. Having done this once, I'm pretty certain that few turners would ever want to do it twice.:)

In looking at the overall dimensions of the G0766 in the new catalog, I notice that despite it's having a 5" shorter capacity between centers, it is about the same length overall as my G0733 (which includes the overhang of the motor beyond the headstock casting and bed), but about 1-1/2" taller and 4" wider. I'm assuming the additional 4" in width is due to a wider stance of the cast iron legs, since the VHD and it's dust shield on a larger headstock couldn't account for that much increase. Seems like that would add a lot of stability to compensate for the 4" greater swing capacity.

The 5" shorter capacity between centers of the G0766 might be due to the larger headstock and tailstock, with the actual length of the lathe bed being about the same as the G0733.

Sure would be great for a TBN member to visit a Grizzly showroom one of these days soon to investigate further in person and report back to us. ;)

David

David C. Roseman
01-01-2015, 7:13 PM
Roger, just saw your latest thread saying you've already ordered the G0766. Congratulations! Looking forward to your review.

David

Roger Chandler
01-01-2015, 7:21 PM
Investigate? I am already committed! :) You bring up some great points David! I have a feeling the bed is shorter because of the 42" between centers and it is likely to have a wider stance as well.......meaning the bed ways are probably a little beefier than the G0733 or G0698......now that is a guess on my part, but with reading the dimensions as you did and information supplied, as you did as well, I came to think that is probably the case. Now, I could be wrong, but seeing pics on Burt Groups site of this family of lathes, it just has a look to it that is beefier.......at least to my eyes.

I think the extra length you mentioned is taken up by the larger motor, and the bed is actually a little shorter than the G0733.

That is a pretty sharp stick you are goading me with on that trip to Muncy, there David! :D Want to meet up and go up together?

Looks like we were both posting at the same time, and I did not see your last comment above!

Ralph Lindberg
01-01-2015, 8:41 PM

Sure would be great for a TBN member to visit a Grizzly showroom one of these days soon to investigate further in person and report back to us. ;)

David

Back in the "working years" I usually stopped in the Bellingham location just about monthly. This allowed me to really look at their line-up frequently. If work was still paying my way I would be watching for this on the floor.

I usually stopped on the way home, in case something small had to follow me home. One time I walked in and there was a ShopFox air-cleaner (HEPA) I had been thinking about, I noticed a single-page flyer that had a sale price sitting on a counter, but the price on the air-cleaner wasn't changed. So I handed the flyer to one of the clerks and asked what the price was. He talked to a couple other clerks, then called "up-stairs" to ask.
A couple minutes later an East-Indian man in a suit came down, looked at the flyer and said something about the flyer being out a couple days early, but go ahead and sell it at the reduced price.
While I have never seen a photo of the owner (he is reported to be very camera shy) I figured it was him.

Tom Megow
01-02-2015, 9:16 AM
I am currently saving towards a Jet 16 X 42 EVS-2. This Grizzly model looks to match or exceed the Jet's specs, for $1000 less?!?
(I could buy a nice BS with that grand!) This seems to good to be true! There a catch? Am I missing something??

Roger Chandler
01-02-2015, 9:31 AM
I am currently saving towards a Jet 16 X 42 EVS-2. This Grizzly model looks to match or exceed the Jet's specs, for $1000 less?!?
(I could buy a nice BS with that grand!) This seems to good to be true! There a catch? Am I missing something??

No catch.........introductory price and will go up next year. Larger lathe and money for a band saw......I know what I would do! ;)

Randy Red Bemont
01-02-2015, 9:59 AM

Grizzly has free shipping on some of their band saws. See their web site for which ones. That will make your savings go even farther.

Red

Ralph Lindberg
01-02-2015, 8:44 PM
While I have never seen a photo of the owner (he is reported to be very camera shy) I figured it was him.

I Google-stalked him, the only photos I could find come from his being Captain of a Washington State shooting team. In fact I ran across a wood-blog site where the author talked about that the only photos of his face are from the shooting club.
Yup that was him that approved the deal I got

Roger Chandler
01-03-2015, 5:26 PM
I have been pondering this power thing........the generic pics and stats on the Burt Group site states 1500w output........I do know that equipment specs can be specified by a vendor to meet their criteria. I am wondering if that lathe is offered by the Burt Group with 2 hp motor and that Grizzly decided to upgrade that to a 3 hp motor? I did do some looking at the Delta M series inverter......it is a sensorless vector micro A/C drive.......which an electrical engineer said is the best and smoothest kind.

I have no specific info on the motor theory I just posited, but that would make perfect sense in that Grizzly has not yet released specs on their model, only stating it is a 3 hp, 3 phase motor which translates to greater efficiency, than a single phase motor, and then the inverter that is the best kind, ..........and the Burt Group just puts out a generic info sheet. Hummm........just thinking a bit!

David C. Roseman
01-03-2015, 5:50 PM
[snip] Second, the headstock casting and motor are very heavy on the G0733, and no doubt heavier on the G0766. To reverse them 180 degrees, they must be lifted high enough for the cast indexing tongue to clear the center gap of the ways, then maneuvered and lowered back down without marring the cast iron. Having done this once, I'm pretty certain that few turners would ever want to do it twice.:)[snip]

Wanted to correct what I posted above, earlier in the thread, so that it isn't misleading to someone researching the G0766 or G0733 in the future. I had forgotten that when I reversed the headstock, I already had the nut off the headstock clamp bolt, so I just lifted the headstock up and off the bed. Another way, and no doubt what the engineers intended, is to slide the headstock off the ways, after removing the small post that serves as a bed stop (just as you would do at the opposite end to remove the tailstock). Doesn't make the headstock any lighter, but it's easier than lifting it straight up.

Roger Chandler
01-03-2015, 8:27 PM
Another thing that makes me think this is a bigger motor..........there is a difference in the handle to lift the motor for belt changes.......it looks to be a different configuration and heavier as well. The one in the Burt Group pic is like what is on the G0698 I have and the G0733 take a look at the one on the G0766. Not really sure what all this means, but you would think that there are definite differences on these units for a reason!

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0766_det2-c05e037cf57df582dee449685416d4c3.jpg

Ralph Lindberg
01-03-2015, 9:29 PM
Roger
I may have forgotten a bunch on motor theory (I did take a 400 series motor theory and design class while getting my EE degree), but not that much.
The Burt group spec does CONSUME 3HP, it just doesn't PRODUCE 3HP.
I strongly suspect that like so many other Grizzly power claims, they are, optimistic.
A lot like the Grizzly lathe that claimed to get 2HP from a 15a@120V circuit (just doesn't happen)

Roger Chandler
01-03-2015, 9:40 PM
Roger
I may have forgotten a bunch on motor theory (I did take a 400 series motor theory and design class while getting my EE degree), but not that much.
The Burt group spec does CONSUME 3HP, it just doesn't PRODUCE 3HP.
I strongly suspect that like so many other Grizzly power claims, they are, optimistic.
A lot like the Grizzly lathe that claimed to get 2HP from a 15a@120V circuit (just doesn't happen)

I am aware of what you are saying, Ralph.....you are correct in the input info based on the generic info sheet from the BG. I see some changes in the Grizzly's unit that are different from that generic info pic & sheet, and wonder if Grizzly made specs to meet their criteria......I have seen it before. I guess I will know for sure when I can read the plate on the motor when the unit arrives. I appreciate your input on this thread....it has been helpful!

Bill Boehme
01-03-2015, 10:43 PM
I am aware of what you are saying, Ralph.....you are correct in the input info based on the generic info sheet from the BG. I see some changes in the Grizzly's unit that are different from that generic info pic & sheet, and wonder if Grizzly made specs to meet their criteria......I have seen it before. I guess I will know for sure when I can read the plate on the motor when the unit arrives. I appreciate your input on this thread....it has been helpful!

Roger, it is a very nice lathe and will serve you well. When I bought my Robust AB, I bought the 2 HP version because I know that is more than adequate power. It might not satisfy those who approach turning as if it were an Iron Man competition. I prefer to work in harmony with the wood rather than bludgeoning it. I have an Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar rig for deep hollowing and I haven't come close to overloading the motor when hollowing dry mesquite. I haven't tried coring yet, but lots of turners do it with their 2 HP Powermatics.

Consider it icing on the cake if it is 3 HP, but don't feel disappointed if it isn't. I agree with Ralph's assessment. The Grizzly site also says that it requires a 220 v (they should have said 240 v) 15 Amp branch circuit. It wouldn't be likely that you could operate a 3 HP motor on a 15 Amp circuit without nuisance tripping of the breaker under full load conditions. Before the days of inverters, the NEC required a certain amount of headroom over full load current to handle start up current. There is also power factor which accounts for "unusable" current that is nevertheless still necessary. I can't think of a good layman's analogy to explain that one. With soft-start, the start up current is greatly reduced, but there is still locked rotor current if the motor is stalled during an Iron Man turning event.

Roger Chandler
01-03-2015, 10:52 PM
I hear you loud and clear, Mr. Boehme! ;) I am not obsessed with this, even though it might sound like it to some. I have just been thinking about what I have seen and heard, and the differences in what the other model large Grizzly's have, and then wonder about the possible explanations, in what I see here with this new model and the changes from the generic BG page and what is actually in the Grizz catalog.

I really do appreciate your correspondence with me and your expertise in explaining the issues over email and your input here as well! I trust your knowledge on matters such as this!

Thanks again!

Roger Chandler
01-18-2015, 8:35 PM
I was looking at the Grizzly catalog and carefully going over the pics of the new G0766 and comparing them to the G0733 18/47 that has been termed "heavy duty" in their catalog. Looking carefully, one can see the legs are bigger than the ones on the G0733. They are configured in the same design but they are a bit heavier. You can see they are wider in the casting than the G0733 and the stance is a bit wider as well, so that means a little more cast iron in the lathe.

That should help the stability of the unit, as the 22" swing will mean heavier pieces will be accommodated. Just an observation, I thought was interesting. Not sure you can tell the same on the website, but the catalog pics definitely show it.

Roger Chandler
01-24-2015, 7:02 PM
I was looking at the comparison charts on lathe specs on Grizzly's website. Comparing the G0733 18/47 and the new G0766 22/42. While they do not give the bed width on the G0733 18/47, I went out and measured the bed on the 18/47 G0698 I have and it is 7 inches wide. The specs on the G0766 state the bed is 10 inches wide. That would mean considerable size increase and as posted above, the catalog shows a wider leg casting as well, if one looks closely, although they are designed with the same configuration.

These things lead me to believe they increased the mass, the footprint and the weight to match the larger swing on the lathe. Just FYI, in case people might be wondering about the size in comparison with other lathes on the market.

Thom Sturgill
01-24-2015, 7:23 PM
Is that measuring across the ways or across the widest part of the casting - the bottom at the legs?

Roger Chandler
01-24-2015, 7:26 PM
Is that measuring across the ways or ocross the widest part of the casting - the bottom at the legs.=?

I am not certain, Thom. Just in case I measured the top across my G0698 which is 7 inches, the bottom of the casting was 8-1/2".......not sure how the stats on Grizzly's comparison page were measured, top or bottom, but either way it is a bigger casting than the current 18/47 unit.

Dok Yager
01-25-2015, 8:39 AM
Roger, to your first post about the longer bed. I spoke to one of the Grizzly tech`s and asked if they were anticipating a bed extension. As of now he said No, but they might in the near future. I also asked about and outboard tool rest and he said none was available and you would have to build your own. Still all in all a Very nice lathe for the price! And I`m seriously considering jumping on one before the introductory price goes up.

Steve Huffman
01-25-2015, 10:47 AM
If we haven't yet cleared up the power requirement for the GO766 it is a 15 amp 220v single phase. I got lucky as right behind the shop wall where my lathe is going
is my garage where I have a plug in for a plasma cutter with the exact same plug in. I simply will have to drill a hole on the wall and plug in the lathe. So if the cord is at least
5 foot, I'm all set. ;)

Steve Huffman
01-25-2015, 4:38 PM
If we haven't yet cleared up the power requirement for the GO766 it is a 15 amp 220v single phase. I got lucky as right behind the shop wall where my lathe is going
is my garage where I have a plug in for a plasma cutter with the exact same plug in. I simply will have to drill a hole on the wall and plug in the lathe. So if the cord is at least
5 foot, I'm all set. ;)

Fred Belknap
01-25-2015, 5:28 PM
So if the cord is at least
5 foot, I'm all set. ;)

Steve the Grizzly bandsaw I got came without a power cord, you might check.

Roger Chandler
01-25-2015, 5:34 PM
5 foot, I'm all set. ;)

I think the cord on my G0698 is about 5 ft.......never actually measured it, but I think it is close to that, maybe 6 ft. If length is a problem, that is easily solved........purchase some 10-3 wire from an electrical supplier and put the correct end on it, to make a 220v extension cord.......not sure about the G0766, but my G0698 has a NEMA-16 plug on the end of the cord.

James Conrad
01-25-2015, 7:09 PM
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the manual calls for wiring, but I would think a 20amp 240v breaker will be adequate, needing only 12 gauge wiring.

Roger Chandler
01-25-2015, 7:20 PM
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the manual calls for wiring, but I would think a 20amp 240v breaker will be adequate, needing only 12 gauge wiring.

You are correct.......a 20 amp, 240v breaker will be more than enough! I was just over doing the extension cord size so as to not put too much resistance ........but a 12/3 line will be more than adequate.

Scott Brandstetter
01-31-2015, 2:03 AM
Well, count me in on the new 766. Placed my order tonight online, have no idea when it will come into stock, but, what the heck at this price and all of the features, hard to pass up. Hope I get a 30 day heads up on the shipping so I can list my Jet Lathe online to counter the expense. I guess whoever get's theirs first will start the review process.

Roger Chandler
01-31-2015, 9:11 AM
Well, count me in on the new 766. Placed my order tonight online, have no idea when it will come into stock, but, what the heck at this price and all of the features, hard to pass up. Hope I get a 30 day heads up on the shipping so I can list my Jet Lathe online to counter the expense. I guess whoever get's theirs first will start the review process.

Conrats on your G0766, Scott. You will more likely get an email saying your lathe has shipped. I went ahead and sold my G0698, but still have on premises.......our club has to run circuit 240v for it in the turning area......I will probably deliver it in the next couple of weeks.

Set up is critical for accuracy on your new lathe.......for centers to align correctly, you need to level the bed end to end, front to back and diagonal.........not sure what lathe you are currently using, but if a smaller, fixed head, it will be a different set of requirements.

To accommodate aftermarket tool rests with a 1" post, you will need to open the hole on the banjo a tad as the post diameter is machined to metric dimensions (25mm) but that only takes a drill bit and some oil. Not all aftermarket rests or chuck inserts are consistent in machining specs either...........I have bought aftermarket rests with 1" posts that were actually 0.010 over, and the post had to be ground down a bit to fit a 1" hole. I

I have had inserts from the same manufacturer be different in size at the shoulder area (Nova chucks) and had to make an adjustment on them as well, to fit properly on the spindle. If you run into a snag,let me know & I will try to help you.......in the past some people were quick to think it was the lathe, but the sloppy machining of aftermarket parts was to blame with poor fit. Calipers don't lie! ;) Know that they machine to metric dimensions up front, and easy adjustments can be made!

Ralph Lindberg
01-31-2015, 11:56 AM
To accommodate aftermarket tool rests with a 1" post, you will need to open the hole on the banjo a tad as the post diameter is machined to metric dimensions (25mm) but that only takes a drill bit and some oil. Not all aftermarket rests or chuck inserts are consistent in machining specs either...........I have bought aftermaeket rest with 1" posts that were actually 0.010 over, and the post had to be ground down a bit to fit a 1" hole. ....

Good points, I have one of the first Chinese made Teknatool Nova DVR-XP lathes, with mine the tool post shaft was milled to 25.4mm, while the hole in the Banjo was 25mm. I milled the hole out to match all 1 inch posts.
Of course I complained to Teknatool and they adjusted the manufacturing.

But there are still "metric" 1" tool posts and banjos out there. A metric 1 inch tool post is really not a problem, it's the banjo.

John Keeton
01-31-2015, 12:33 PM
One would think that Grizzly would spec the banjo and rests on their lathes to be sold in the US at 1", since that seems to be the standard. They use the standard Imperial sizing on the spindle threads, etc. I have several Grizzly machines, and like them, but this seems an easy modification that would enhance the products.

Roger Chandler
01-31-2015, 1:39 PM
One would think that Grizzly would spec the banjo and rests on their lathes to be sold in the US at 1", since that seems to be the standard. They use the standard Imperial sizing on the spindle threads, etc. I have several Grizzly machines, and like them, but this seems an easy modification that would enhance the products.

I agree, John! A really simple coversion. What I think is that the manufacturer also sells this lathe in other foreign markets [according to the Burt Group page] that use metric sizing, and having to change specs to accommodate U.S. measurements would require re-tooling, and up the cost quite a bit. This is however a very simple fix!

Roger Chandler
02-24-2015, 5:42 PM
Update.......just trying to post this information on all the threads concerning the G0766 lathe. Latest conversation today with Grizzly customer service is a ship date of May 22nd out of the Missouri warehouse. Also, should the shipment arrive earlier, they will ship earlier. This is far better than the July 17th date that was posted by someone earlier.

Just FYI for those who wanted to know.

Mark Greenbaum
03-06-2015, 11:45 AM
I have been daily ogling this lathe, and finally have enough $$$ to purchase it. I was leaning to the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, but delivered at $1700 for this Grizzly, if I can get the space for it, I'm in on one. It will save me $1000 and that buys a lot of wood and tools. Please post as soon as you have yours installed and tested, so I can make my purchase.

Larry Matchett
03-06-2015, 11:55 AM
No spindle lock makes this lathe a non starter. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make the price point

Roger Chandler
03-06-2015, 12:27 PM
No spindle lock makes this lathe a non starter. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make the price point

Actually, they perform a spindle lock with a different system......there is an index pin and one of the holes that is for locking the spindle.......it is the same on my G0698, and is a simple and effective way of doing the same thing, and it works like a charm. Of course, every feature added to a lathe will increase its price, and if the same thing can be accomplished with a simpler system and save lots of dollars, then the value is still there and functionality does not suffer one bit.

I have turned on 9 different PM 3520b units and a few Jet 1642 evs units...........I actually prefer the index pin and spindle lock system, because it allows me to use both hands to thread on a chuck or any other task related to the spindle, but that is probably just me. The G0766 also has a handwheel for those who like to use it with one hand and hold the chuck with the other for threading on the chuck.........no problems!

John Keeton
03-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Good point, Larry! I had not noticed that in my cursory review. I am not in the market as I am very happy with my Jet 1642-2, but I do use the spindle lock often and would certainly miss not having one.

just noticed Roger's post, but that wouldn't change my feelings. Using the index pin is a hassle I would prefer to not have to fool with given the frequency with which I use the spindle lock. And, using a pin, I have altered my spindle lock to permit not having to manually hold it down - though most of the time I am using it to remove my chuck and just hold it down and hand spin the spindle to loosen the chuck.

Justin Stephen
03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I have turned on 9 different PM 3520b units and a few Jet 1642 evs units...........I actually prefer the index pin and spindle lock system, because it allows me to use both hands to thread on a chuck or any other task related to the spindle, but that is probably just me.

Agreed. I have a throwaway allen key that I drop into the 3520B indexer if I need to use two hands. I know there are several easy mods out there for actually locking the 3520B spindle in such a way as to free up both hands, but it is easier just to drop a pin into the indexer. The lack of a spindle lock would not be a non-starter for me if I were thinking about purchasing the Grizzly, most especially when you consider the massive price difference between it and comparably sized lathes. There may prove to be other issues that suggest that the new Grizzly isn't a good purchase, but we'll have to wait and see if those spring up once people have them and start using them.

Marty Tippin
03-06-2015, 1:53 PM
The indexing pin on the Grizzly lathes works great until you drop it into a 12" deep pile of fine shavings under the lathe... Almost needed a metal detector to find mine a few times...

Roger Chandler
03-06-2015, 1:54 PM
There may prove to be other issues that suggest that the new Grizzly isn't a good purchase, but we'll have to wait and see if those spring up once people have them and start using them.

Knowing from first hand experience with my present G0698, and the collective reports of all that have spoken to their experiences with the G0733 units.....since the G0766 is just a beefed up version of it with added features like 3 hp and a handwheel...........I find it highly unlikely that the G0766 will not be an excellent purchase choice..........that is the reason I pulled the trigger!

Now, mind you, I could have gotten a 3520b or if I really wanted to, a Robust American Beauty,[I have turned on both] but with cash on hand from Christmas, birthday and Father's Day, I just wanted to go with what I believe to be a lathe that would provide excellent service and performance. I truly believe that what we will find in the long run is a new lathe that is a fine performer, just as is the G0733 18/47 unit, only from the looks of the pics that are available of this lathe, it does seem to have more refined castings and that is a plus!

As I have mentioned before.......ANY model lathe can and at times, does have problems on occassion. I have a friend who has a Oneway 2436 ....he has had parts replaced.......there is a thread over on WoW right now, where Sally Ault has a problem with her 3520b, and another 3520b owner had a problem over on the Wood Central forum. One of the turning clubs I belong to have had some issues with their 3520b.........they are by and large great lathes, and I am not putting them down.......I recommend them! I also recommend the upper end Grizzly lathes........they are good machines as well!

Roger Chandler
03-06-2015, 1:57 PM
The indexing pin on the Grizzly lathes works great until you drop it into a 12" deep pile of fine shavings under the lathe... Almost needed a metal detector to find mine a few times...

Geez Marty..........I solved that potential problem way back when.......just use a magnetic parts tray to keep it and the screws for my faceplate on the top of the headstock! Never lost it once! ;)

Bill Boehme
03-06-2015, 5:14 PM
I don't know if the Jet spindle lock has an electrical interlock like the Robust has, but if so, that would be a distinct advantage over just using the indexing wheel to lock the spindle.

John Keeton
03-06-2015, 7:41 PM
I don't know if the Jet spindle lock has an electrical interlock like the Robust has, but if so, that would be a distinct advantage over just using the indexing wheel to lock the spindle.Bill, it is just a mechanical lock.

Paul Williams
03-06-2015, 10:13 PM
As many times as I have started my Delta midi with the spindle locked, I would think an interlock would be a good addition to a more powerful lathe.

Mark Greenbaum
03-07-2015, 10:59 PM
I am not sure if my last post made it onto this thread, but - I have really been looking hard at this product. I went to our woodturner's club Turn In today, and asked around for opinions on Grizzly wood lathes, and the response was not good. I am not sure if it's a case of Jet/Powermatic/Robust snobbery, or real Grizzly bad experiences that seasons their opinions. The price of this lathe would put it delivered at $1K lower than the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, and that would fit my budget squarely. I wish there was a fair review of this new machine to be able to let me decide without trepidation. Do the Grizzly stores know how many of these units will ship from China, and when exactly they'd be available to view? Honestly, by the catalog and web photos it appears to be made with the same quality constructions as the Jet lathe, so I will probably be an easy voter once someone has a test drive.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2015, 6:30 AM
I am not sure if my last post made it onto this thread, but - I have really been looking hard at this product. I went to our woodturner's club Turn In today, and asked around for opinions on Grizzly wood lathes, and the response was not good. I am not sure if it's a case of Jet/Powermatic/Robust snobbery, or real Grizzly bad experiences that seasons their opinions. The price of this lathe would put it delivered at $1K lower than the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, and that would fit my budget squarely. I wish there was a fair review of this new machine to be able to let me decide without trepidation. Do the Grizzly stores know how many of these units will ship from China, and when exactly they'd be available to view? Honestly, by the catalog and web photos it appears to be made with the same quality constructions as the Jet lathe, so I will probably be an easy voter once someone has a test drive.

Back about 10 years ago most of the Grizzly lathes were lower end stuff. Starting with the G0632 clone of the Jet 1642 evs and on up through the G0698 that I currently have, then the G0733 18/47, they basically have the same features of the Powermatic and Jet lathes.......all manufactured by the same manufacturer........This newest G0766 is just coming on the market.........a large model with the same features of the PM 3520b. This is a lot of lathe for the money, and knowing my own personal experience for over 5 years and those of the G0733 unit........I had NO HESITATION whatsoever on pulling the trigger on this new G0766 model!

Dennis Collier
03-08-2015, 7:06 AM

What I have found is that people fail to do any research at all and really have no clue what they are talking about when making these claims. How many people in your club had owned a Grizzly lathe or even turned on a friends Grizzly lathe to make those claims? They are just saying what they have heard and they only hear what they want to hear. Its been mentioned several times that the motor and VFD are made by Delta, the same companies making motors and VFD's for Powermatic and Jet but they don't hear that. Not only are they made by the same company but the Grizzly lathe uses the latest greatest model where the others are still using old technology. Its been mentioned several times that the new Grizzly lathes are manufactured by Burt Group, the same company that makes the Powermatic and Jet lathes but they don't hear that.

When I first started turning, I wanted a mini lathe. I just wanted something cheap that I could learn with but not fall apart in a year. One of the lathes that was recommended to me was a lathe called Excelsior sold by Rockler. My research showed me that the mini late sold at Harbor Freight was the exact same lathe with a different paint job. I brought this up and was told something about castings and quality control and blah blah blah and that I should spend the extra money and buy the black one from Rockler. I didnt. I bought the green one from HF. I turned on that little lathes for 3 years and never had a single issue out of it. The only bad reviews that lathe gets is about breaking belts. I sold it with the original belt on it. That little lathe churned out thousands of pens and many other turnings such as tool handles and peppermills. Some of the pens I made sold for 100's of dollars. I guarantee you if I take a pen I made on that little POS HF lathe and laid it next to a pen that was made on a Powermatic, you couldn't tell me what lathe which came from. My point is, do your own research and make your own decisions and when a guy who turns on a yellow lathe tells you that is the only thing worth buying, he probably hasn't done his research. My research tells me that the Powermatic lathe is a beast and an excellent machine. It also tells me that the lathe Im currently waiting for is just as good, maybe even better. Only time will tell. Oh and I paid $2500 less for my machine!!

Go to youtube and type Grizzly G0733 into the search box. There is a guy who owns it and a Jet 1642 and makes a comparison video. Also FWIW, if you've never dealt with Grizzly, I can tell you from personal experience, there is not another tool company that can top Grizzly customer service. I know Im not taking a risk on an unproven machine because no matter what, Grizzly will make it right. I can tell you a story about a table saw that they replaced that was out of warranty. Any other company would have told me to get lost.

Fred Belknap
03-08-2015, 8:23 AM
Mark let me state that I have a lot of Grizzly products and am pretty happy with them. I had two Grizzly lathes the first was reeves drive and I think the model was G1647 pos that minimum speed was 600rpm. I then bought the G0698 with variable speed. It did the job pretty well, but I found a few things about it I didn't like. The first problem was the spindle was a little off size and the OneWay Talon chuck that I had got stuck on the spindle. Grizzly said something about aftermarket products not under warranty. I ended up breaking out the index pin holes getting the chuck off. I did some research online and found a simple fix. I also broke the toolrest on a out of balance blank, and Grizzly immediately sent me a new one. I had some aftermarket toolrest that were suppose to be the same size but they wouldn't fit. I ended up using a 1" drill bit and drilling out the banjo. Another easy fix. A couple other minor problems were that the set screws on my chucks tightened down on the spindle threads which I didn't much like. Another was the speed control which was loose as a goose. It was right beside the on/off switch and when I turned the lathe off or on I sometimes bumped the speed dial and that cause some interesting incidents. I used it for a couple years or so and turned a lot of bowls and I got to say it did the job. I purchased a new PM3520B three years ago and so far it has been fool proof. I kept the G0698 for a year or so, they were both set up side by side in the shop. I used the grizzly some but the PM was a lot more fun to work on. I finally sold it for less than half what I paid for it because I needed the space. I'm not knocking the Grizzly, but IMO the PM is worth the difference in the price. Most of the problems I had with the Grizzly were easily corrected but in my opinion they should have been corrected by the manufacturer.

Bill Bulloch
03-08-2015, 8:38 AM
Roger Said; "*****As I have mentioned before.......ANY model lathe can and at times, does have problems on occassion. I have a friend who has a Oneway 2436 ....he has had parts replaced.......there is a thread over on WoW right now, where Sally Ault has a problem with her 3520b, and another 3520b owner had a problem over on the Wood Central forum. One of the turning clubs I belong to have had some issues with their 3520b.........they are by and large great lathes, and I am not putting them down.......I recommend them! I also recommend the upper end Grizzly lathes........they are good machines as well*****"

Dennis said; " there is not another tool company that can top Grizzly customer service. I know Im not taking a risk on an unproven machine because no matter what, Grizzly will make it right ***".

Roger is right, my new 3520B arrived and the Speed Control Switch did not work. The knob just turned freely without making contact. I called Redmond Machinery, who sold me the lathe, and they came to the house. a hour and fifteen minutes drive, to check it out. They determined that the switch was faulty and called Powermatic. Powermatic is sending a new switch and a technician to install it. Now that's what I call "Customer Service" and is the reason I switched.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-08-2015, 9:44 AM
I've been reading most of the threads on this new Grizzley lathe for a few weeks now, It's fascinating that so much can be said about a product that no one has seen yet, let alone actually worked with. Grizzley has taken their lumps over the years - both those it earned and a few that may not have been fair. I've worked with several tool importers for the last 30+ years and can tell you in no uncertain terms - you do indeed get what you pay for in all cases. The only way that two products can come from the same manfacturer at two wildly different price points is by compromising on the specifications. I would really doubt that the difference could possibly come from 'absorbing' a little profit loss by discounting a new model as an introduction.
As with any new entrant, there are going to be early adopters who will gladly forge through the inevitable new product hits and misses to be on the bleeding edge of saving a bundle - and, of course those whose experience will mimic nirvana with the pure joy of ownership and the security of knowing they were right all along.
I'm looking forward to the stories...

Matthew Bashore
03-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Here is a comparison of Grizzly and Jet. It seems to be a fair review. I don't think this will end the debate. I was surprised by the differences since both are made at the same plant, some that don't matter much and others that do.
There are customers for both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtgKssFdE4

Cary Falk
03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Roger is right, my new 3520B arrived and the Speed Control Switch did not work. The knob just turned freely without making contact. I called Redmond Machinery, who sold me the lathe, and they came to the house. a hour and fifteen minutes drive, to check it out. They determined that the switch was faulty and called Powermatic. Powermatic is sending a new switch and a technician to install it. Now that's what I call "Customer Service" and is the reason I switched.

Bill,
You should have received that level of service. You paid for it. You paid the middle man(Redmond Machinery) to contact Powermatic and then you paid PM to come out and work on it. It is all figured in the price of the lathe. I go into Grizzly knowing if something goes wrong I am the middle man and the repairman and I pay myself for my services. That is one part of the price difference that people refuse to look at.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2015, 2:44 PM
I've been reading most of the threads on this new Grizzley lathe for a few weeks now, It's fascinating that so much can be said about a product that no one has seen yet, let alone actually worked with. Grizzley has taken their lumps over the years - both those it earned and a few that may not have been fair. I've worked with several tool importers for the last 30+ years and can tell you in no uncertain terms - you do indeed get what you pay for in all cases. The only way that two products can come from the same manfacturer at two wildly different price points is by compromising on the specifications. I would really doubt that the difference could possibly come from 'absorbing' a little profit loss by discounting a new model as an introduction.
As with any new entrant, there are going to be early adopters who will gladly forge through the inevitable new product hits and misses to be on the bleeding edge of saving a bundle - and, of course those whose experience will mimic nirvana with the pure joy of ownership and the security of knowing they were right all along.
I'm looking forward to the stories...

Jeffery........your post made me smile! :D I think there are probably some people who perceive me as an apologist for Grizzly.......nothing could be farther from the truth! I will say this..........while I did have a great experience with my G0698 lathe and also my G0555LX bandsaw, and have a good bit of experience with turning on other make lathes, and having I believe, a legitimate basis of comparison and evaluation.............know this, I will give an honest review of this lathe when it arrives, whether good or bad!

While, based on my previous experience with my G0698, and the collective input I have received from a number of G0733 owners, I fully expect this lathe will be a fine machine with features that rival the PM or the Jet. If I find otherwise, I will send the unit back to Grizzly for a full refund lickety-split!!!

Because of the high dollar valuation against other currencies, and the fact that Grizzly is direct sale, and there is not a markup for a dealer, then that is a good explanation for the "get what you pay for" crowd on this. While that is generally true, there are also other factors at play related to cost on this unit, and not necessarily a cut in quality.

My thinking is not locked in on any position, either good or bad........but I believe good value and features can be had when a person understands what they are purchasing.........even at that, I am open to the actual facts, based on performance and quality..........."Nirvana"........boy, I sure hope that is the way it works out! ;)

Mark Greenbaum
03-08-2015, 6:48 PM
Well, thanks for the re-assurances. I will have to wait until I get my carport converted to ral garage before I pull that trigger. But now I feel more confident that the Grizzly may have been re-designed enough to make it a favorite choice. I told the PM and Jet members of the club if they hear of a used PM 3530B or Jet 1642-EVS-2 for sale used I may jump on that if the price is near the Grizzly, but new is nice too. I used a PM 3520 for a week at JC Campbell Folk School doing deep hollowing and it was a sweet machine, and that's what I want to make mostly - deep urns for funerary purposes. I feel the Grizzly would be a solid choice, but just want to make really sure.

Roger: If you're anywhere near Nashville, when you get your lathe, perhaps I can come out and see it? Let me know.

charlie knighton
03-08-2015, 8:01 PM
there is a jet 1642 evs 2 for sale on the wanted forum.....it was posted 3-6

that is the aaw forum under wanted section

Roger Chandler
03-08-2015, 8:41 PM
Well, thanks for the re-assurances. I will have to wait until I get my carport converted to ral garage before I pull that trigger. But now I feel more confident that the Grizzly may have been re-designed enough to make it a favorite choice. I told the PM and Jet members of the club if they hear of a used PM 3530B or Jet 1642-EVS-2 for sale used I may jump on that if the price is near the Grizzly, but new is nice too. I used a PM 3520 for a week at JC Campbell Folk School doing deep hollowing and it was a sweet machine, and that's what I want to make mostly - deep urns for funerary purposes. I feel the Grizzly would be a solid choice, but just want to make really sure.

Roger: If you're anywhere near Nashville, when you get your lathe, perhaps I can come out and see it? Let me know.

Probably 9-10 hours away by car............550-600 miles, generally speaking.

Mark Greenbaum
03-08-2015, 10:14 PM
there is a jet 1642 evs 2 for sale on the wanted forum.....it was posted 3-6

that is the aaw forum under wanted section

Thanks, I just registered for the forum (not a member yet of AAW), so it may be gone before I can ask him if it's the 2 hp model, and what accessories it comes with. Ask him for me and let me know. Thanks.

Doug Ladendorf
03-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks, I just registered for the forum (not a member yet of AAW), so it may be gone before I can ask him if it's the 2 hp model, and what accessories it comes with. Ask him for me and let me know. Thanks.

I just took a quick look. It's 2 HP. NE Indiana.

Mark Greenbaum
03-09-2015, 7:05 AM
I just took a quick look. It's 2 HP. NE Indiana.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday after I'd already posted the question - DUH. But, it's almost 500 miles from my house to his location. I'd better wait for something a bit closer, but thanks for the lead. I'd jump on it today if it was within a 100 mile radius. But in this area we have an abundance of turners, and I'd never hear about it until it was already sold.

Doug Ladendorf
03-09-2015, 8:42 AM
...I'd jump on it today if it was within a 100 mile radius...

Add location to your profile and maybe another member will have some leads for you. There is a fantastic Vega bowl lathe in my area at about $1600 someone will pounce on. (Not mine.)

Doug

David C. Roseman
03-09-2015, 11:21 AM
[snip]I've worked with several tool importers for the last 30+ years and can tell you in no uncertain terms - you do indeed get what you pay for in all cases. The only way that two products can come from the same manfacturer at two wildly different price points is by compromising on the specifications. [snip]

Each to his own view, but I could not disagree with you more, Jeffrey. You are conflating ex factory wholesale export pricing with mark-up to the retail purchaser at the other end of the distribution chain. There is a whole lot that goes on between the two price points, and the "higher price = more value" logic breaks down pretty quickly there. The marketing specialists love that reasoning, though. :)

Ralph Lindberg
03-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Each to his own view, but I could not disagree with you more, Jeffrey. You are conflating ex factory wholesale export pricing with mark-up to the retail purchaser at the other end of the distribution chain. There is a whole lot that goes on between the two price points, and the "higher price = more value" logic breaks down pretty quickly there. The marketing specialists love that reasoning, though. :)
Good point David, like all the marketing people at Ford that convinced people that a Mercury model was worth more then a Ford model, even though they were made on the same production line.

Jim Seyfried
03-09-2015, 2:02 PM
Good point David, like all the marketing people at Ford that convinced people that a Mercury model was worth more then a Ford model, even though they were made on the same production line.

While I'm not questioning the quality or features of this new lathe, but, I respectfully disagree that because two things were made at the same factory or even assembled on the same assembly line makes them similar in quality or features. I have worked in many auto factories and I know that they are built to the specification for each model. If one model calls for a lesser quality bearing or less clutch plates that’s what it gets. At least that is how it works for U.S. auto factories. I would be surprised if it worked differently in tool factories.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2015, 2:05 PM

Precisely! those who are comparing retail price with direct prices, and not factoring in the 11 year high against foreign currencies, are equating that price difference with a lack of quality! I can tell you as well as others who have owned the higher end Grizzly lathes, that the quality is there! While it is true that the castings of the Grizzly G0733 were not as refined as the PM 3520b, the other things like motor and electronics have proven to be reliable and quality. From the available pics of the G0766..........the castings/ finishing of this unit seem to have been improved a good bit and and seems to be on par with the other makes!

Add to that the addition of a handwheel and I believe this will be a fine unit .........not based on mere speculation, but on the track record of the collective experiences of Grizzly owners who have used the similar models to this newest one to just come on the market.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-09-2015, 11:53 PM
There is a whole lot that goes on between the two price points, and the "higher price = more value" logic breaks down pretty quickly there. The marketing specialists love that reasoning, though. :)
I've been careful to attempt not to try to rain on anyones parade here, but the thought that a difference in price in excess of 120% can come solely from the difference in distribution channels, currency valuations or anything else that doesn't include variations in specifications or process controls is definitely in the 'glass half full' demographic. I sincerely hope you're right.
I've seen piles of castings that came from offshore that looked perfect but proved to be more than 10% short of their spec. weight because of cavities filled with the equivalent of bondo.
What I was attempting to point out is that even though the photos may show fit and finish worthy of the best of breed, no one has actually seen one of these beasts as of yet, and, until that happens, everything we want to believe is pure speculation. I have a guy on staff who can photoshop a Yugo into a Lamborghini given enough time.
I would like nothing more than to believe that I could buy a lathe with 2 inches more swing, more horsepower and equal fit and finish to a lathe that has proven to be solidly among the most popular and sought after pieces of equipment in the industry at less than half the price. I'd like that, but pardon me if I seem somewhat dubious until proven wrong.

Cary Falk
03-10-2015, 1:25 AM
I've been careful to attempt not to try to rain on anyones parade here, but the thought that a difference in price in excess of 120% can come solely from the difference in distribution channels, currency valuations or anything else that doesn't include variations in specifications or process controls is definitely in the 'glass half full' demographic. I sincerely hope you're right.
I've seen piles of castings that came from offshore that looked perfect but proved to be more than 10% short of their spec. weight because of cavities filled with the equivalent of bondo.
What I was attempting to point out is that even though the photos may show fit and finish worthy of the best of breed, no one has actually seen one of these beasts as of yet, and, until that happens, everything we want to believe is pure speculation. I have a guy on staff who can photoshop a Yugo into a Lamborghini given enough time.
I would like nothing more than to believe that I could buy a lathe with 2 inches more swing, more horsepower and equal fit and finish to a lathe that has proven to be solidly among the most popular and sought after pieces of equipment in the industry at less than half the price. I'd like that, but pardon me if I seem somewhat dubious until proven wrong.

Here is the message that I think is getting lost. I have many Grizzly tools. Lets just take my G1023RL cabinet saw vs the PM2000. The 1023RL has been a solid performer day in and day out for the last 4 years. It is a joy to use and at the end of the day, you could not tell the difference between something made on the G01023RL and the PM2000. It also cost me 1/2 of what the PM2000 cost!!!! Is it as refined as the PM2000? maybe not. The PM2000 has a larger table which is nice but it is not twice as good as the 1023RL. The little added value of the PM is not worth 2x the cost. I expect the G0766 to be the same solid performer as the 1023RL. All the function as the 3520 at half the cost with very little loss of quality.

Unless somebody can show me the acutual manufacturing cost associated with both lathes, I am not convinced that PM(and Jet for that matter) is worth anywhere near 2x the cost of the equlivant Grizzly machine. I am guessing the costs are closer than one might think. I have a PM1200 drill press(1985 made in the good Ole USA no less) that looks like a 2 year old painted it with a $2 spray can and a Jet sander that looks like the same 2 year old flattend the table with a hand held angle grinder.

David C. Roseman
03-10-2015, 12:50 PM
While I'm not questioning the quality or features of this new lathe, but, I respectfully disagree that because two things were made at the same factory or even assembled on the same assembly line makes them similar in quality or features. I have worked in many auto factories and I know that they are built to the specification for each model. If one model calls for a lesser quality bearing or less clutch plates that’s what it gets. At least that is how it works for U.S. auto factories. I would be surprised if it worked differently in tool factories.

Agree with this, as I do with Jeffrey to the extent he was at bottom making a similar point. I've long felt that many factories, including those of the Burt Group in Shandong, and certainly many in Taiwan, are as capable of producing precision equipment as any. And of course there are factory firsts and seconds that can come off any given assembly line. It's the specifications, tolerances and overall quality control required by the importer that can determine whether, among similar-looking products with different colors of paint, one is a precision product, another a serviceable product, and another a boat anchor. :)

I think the point that several have made on the G0766 lathe in particular is that Grizzly has upped it's game on it's larger lathes over the last several years and the quality that many have found in the G0733 might reasonably be carried over to the G0766. That could be wrong, of course. But Grizzly is nothing if not savvy in executing its business plan. Right now we're all pretty much guessing, but I suspect the roll-out of this new lathe, and the "shock and awe" introductory pricing, is specifically targeted at the middle-market niche that the PM 3520B has comfortably occupied, with good reason, for years.

Roger Chandler
03-10-2015, 2:13 PM
I think the point that several have made on the G0766 lathe in particular is that Grizzly has upped it's game on it's larger lathes over the last several years and the quality that many have found in the G0733 might reasonably be carried over to the G0766. That could be wrong, of course. But Grizzly is nothing if not savvy in executing its business plan. Right now we're all pretty much guessing, but I suspect the roll-out of this new lathe, and the "shock and awe" introductory pricing, is specifically targeted at the middle-market niche that the PM 3520B has comfortably occupied, with good reason, for years.

I think you probably nailed it David.......it is likely the point of this 22x42 lathe to provide an alternative in this category of lathes currently occupied by the the 3520b. Just from what I have personally witnessed with the refinements on woodworking equipment in general........it seems that what is produced now in ISO 9001 factories has much better fit, finish and performance over top of machines produced 15 years ago. Some may disagree with that, but for the most part, if a person knows what they are buying because they have done their research, and know what the best features of a machine are, then it is a pretty good "bet" if one wants to call it that.

There can always be a lemon to come off any assembly line.......automobile or woodworking machine. I have a BIL who has a Cadillac and has had numerous problems with it.........engine smokes almost since it was new.......dealer says "that is normal!" :eek: He has basically had to keep a few bottles of oil in the trunk and add every so often........they would not fix it and he was basically stuck!

I have done wood working for the better part of 30 years.......I have used many makes/brands, either in my own shop or at friends shops and for the upper end Grizzly tools.......they are as good as Delta, Powermatic, Jet and others. I realize that there may be some who do not feel this way, but that has been my experience! I trust my judgment! I know what my frame of reference is and experience has been! Besides, this is not a contest about who has the best whatever.........it is a personal decision for every individual to acquire what they believe will serve their turning needs and financial interests.

I think we will find as you have stated David, that Grizzly has upped its game once again, with this new G0766!

Dane Riley
03-10-2015, 2:50 PM
The 3520b is 10.5 inches center to bed, making it 21 inch swing. I assume the Grizzly is 11 inch. I was surprised to learn Powermatic did this.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Right now we're all pretty much guessing,
David et al - that's all I was pointing out. Until you've got one in your shop, everyone is guessing. I do hope it works out, and, to tell the truth, I'm one who thinks that those who got in at the introductory price are getting a screaming deal. I'm also one who thinks the Powermatic, as good a machine as it is, doesn't set the bar so high that a good importer can't nudge it up a bit. Even if you wind up replacing parts early, the difference in cost buys a ton of spares.
But then while I've bought the best lathe I can find, I'm one who truly believes in buying the cheapest excercise equipment on the market - after all, you're buying resistance anyway...

daryl moses
03-11-2015, 11:30 AM
If the quality of the new G0766 is anything as good as my new G0733 it is going to be one fine machine.
I just got my 733 home and in the shop yesterday evening, after hearing some of the horror stories [most from people who have never turned on one] I was somewhat concerned about what I would find when I got my lathe uncrated. I was relieved to find my fears were unfounded.
Maybe i'm just lucky but I would put my lathe up against anything as far as quality goes. The motor runs quiet and smooth, the spindle runs true and the centers are dead on the entire length of the ways.
I'm not brand loyal to anyone, my shop has a little of everything, some good and some not so good. Shopfox 15'' planer, Rikon 14'' bandsaw, an older 14'' Delta bandsaw, Jet 16-32 belt sander, Jet jointer, and an old Craftsman 10'' table saw to name a few.
I aint no spring chicken either, been making saw dust and shavings for over 50 years. I certainly don't profess to know it all, i'm still learning, but one thing I do know and that is a quality piece of equipment when I see it.

Randy Red Bemont
03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Glad to hear you got it Daryl and you like it. I know Grizzly has good quality and I'm sure the 0766 will be no different. Enjoy!

Red

Roger Chandler
03-11-2015, 2:31 PM
If the quality of the new G0766 is anything as good as my new G0733 it is going to be one fine machine.
I just got my 733 home and in the shop yesterday evening, after hearing some of the horror stories [most from people who have never turned on one] I was somewhat concerned about what I would find when I got my lathe uncrated. I was relieved to find my fears were unfounded.
Maybe i'm just lucky but I would put my lathe up against anything as far as quality goes. The motor runs quiet and smooth, the spindle runs true and the centers are dead on the entire length of the ways.
I'm not brand loyal to anyone, my shop has a little of everything, some good and some not so good. Shopfox 15'' planer, Rikon 14'' bandsaw, an older 14'' Delta bandsaw, Jet 16-32 belt sander, Jet jointer, and an old Craftsman 10'' table saw to name a few.
I aint no spring chicken either, been making saw dust and shavings for over 50 years. I certainly don't profess to know it all, i'm still learning, but one thing I do know and that is a quality piece of equipment when I see it.

Hey Daryl..........told 'ya so!!! :D I knew you would be pleased and remember I told you that the G0733 was not an inferior lathe.......man you got a nice setup now, and I am looking forward to what you produce from it! If you have any questions related to aftermarket items [toolrest post] and such fitting, then feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help you in any way I can! Congratulations! ;)

daryl moses
03-11-2015, 2:49 PM
Thanks Randy and Roger.
Roger I appreciate the offer of help, i'm sure there will be some things that come up later and I won't hesitate to ask.
Been out in the shop ''puttering around'' mounted a 3'' square just to get the feel for my new lathe, all I can say is WOW!!!!! This thing is awesome and I couldn't be happier.

Rich Sabulsky
03-27-2015, 1:22 PM
I gave them a call today to check on expected arrival and was told that they are not expected in Muncy, PA until June 24, 2015. :confused:

Roger Chandler
03-27-2015, 8:24 PM
I gave them a call today to check on expected arrival and was told that they are not expected in Muncy, PA until June 24, 2015. :confused:

Seems the Missouri Distribution center will get them first [May 22nd] not sure why, but that is the info I have gotten.

Belton Garvin
03-28-2015, 4:24 PM
Looking ahead to the lathe arriving. I need it to be mobile on casters due to the size of my shop. A couple of concerns come to mind. 1) drive center height - shouldn't be too bad as I'm 6'3" and generally like my center higher than most. 2) Stability with larger pieces. probably won't do a lot of off balance pieces but still a concern. I would prefer to have casters that can be lowered for moving and raised during turning for stability. Does anyone have any recommendations? Woodcraft has their heavy duty casters on sale this month for 30%off.

Roger Chandler
03-28-2015, 5:47 PM
Looking ahead to the lathe arriving. I need it to be mobile on casters due to the size of my shop. A couple of concerns come to mind. 1) drive center height - shouldn't be too bad as I'm 6'3" and generally like my center higher than most. 2) Stability with larger pieces. probably won't do a lot of off balance pieces but still a concern. I would prefer to have casters that can be lowered for moving and raised during turning for stability. Does anyone have any recommendations? Woodcraft has their heavy duty casters on sale this month for 30%off.

Something like this will work nicely. One of the clubs I belong to has this on their 3520b, and made a homemade version for their Jet 1642 evs........one can be fabricated. It allows for the lathe to lift to roll it around and let down to sit firmly on the ground for stability when turning.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mob-lift

Ralph Lindberg
03-28-2015, 9:34 PM
The Lift-n-Lock actually comes in several "size" models. Unless Grizzly can provide accurate measurements I would wait until the lathes arrive.

Mike Goetzke
03-28-2015, 9:44 PM

Here is a post showing the casters I used: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?220315-New-Location-for-my-Lathe&highlight=casters

Belton Garvin
03-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Both of those look like great solutions. I would prefer something like the Lift-N-Lock system...but it costs a little more than I'm ready to spend. I can probably come up with a solution similar by fabricating my own. Might have to break out my welder and practice a bit. Thanks for the options.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2015, 7:16 PM
Just a new observation on this new G0766...........today I did a demo at one of our clubs, and used the PM3520b that is there and took a minute to measure the bed of the 3520b. At the bottom of the bed casting, it is 10 inches across. That and the legs help produce the mass of the 3520b.

On the spec sheet, listed on the Grizzly website for the G0766 it says that the width of the bed is 10 inches. If this is not a misprint, then we can safely say that they have made the unit bigger in the bed than the 18/47 G0733. Of course, when we get the lathe in possession, all the particulars will come into clear focus, and we will know more how to compare units that are currently on the market.

Just thought I would pass this along to those interested.

Jeramie Johnson
04-08-2015, 3:56 PM
I have been watching this thread for a bit. I called Grizzly a couple times over the past few months in regards to the item also.

Today I put in my order. I would love the PM, but too pricey at this early in my game. With the new 17" bandsaw and this lathe, I am still well under the PM price tag. The Nova 16 I was debating also, but after adding items, gets up there close to the Nova 2024. Seeing a picture of a Nova under a PM was also an eye opener.

I am going to look at this 22" er as a stepping stone up from my Delta 12" VS.

Roger Chandler
04-08-2015, 5:03 PM
I have been watching this thread for a bit. I called Grizzly a couple times over the past few months in regards to the item also.

Today I put in my order. I would love the PM, but too pricey at this early in my game. With the new 17" bandsaw and this lathe, I am still well under the PM price tag. The Nova 16 I was debating also, but after adding items, gets up there close to the Nova 2024. Seeing a picture of a Nova under a PM was also an eye opener.

I am going to look at this 22" er as a stepping stone up from my Delta 12" VS.

This lathe is more of a destination than a way point in your journey, Jeremy! That is unless you are interested in either the Robust American Beauty or the Serious SL 2542.....they both have 25" swing, which are the upper end of wood lathes on the market. You might be able to find one of those old lathes like they used in ship yards to make the main masts on sailboats, but not sure you are wanting to go that big from that Delta midi.......but who knows? :D;)

I think you will find this new G0766 to be a pretty stout unit!

Jeramie Johnson
04-09-2015, 1:48 PM
This lathe is more of a destination than a way point in your journey, Jeremy! That is unless you are interested in either the Robust American Beauty or the Serious SL 2542.....they both have 25" swing, which are the upper end of wood lathes on the market. You might be able to find one of those old lathes like they used in ship yards to make the main masts on sailboats, but not sure you are wanting to go that big from that Delta midi.......but who knows? :D;)

I think you will find this new G0766 to be a pretty stout unit!

Thanks Roger. I think it will work out well.

Since my WTB ad for a 16' -20' lathe didn't get responses, I am hoping this 81" one will do. Might have to CA glue a few together to make the ship masts........but I also have some Duck tape laying around.