PDA

View Full Version : Shop vac for picking up Acorns, works great......

Bill Huber
12-29-2014, 3:08 PM
I have a red oak in the front yard and it has put out acorns this year like mad.

I got one of those roller things for picking up nuts and it work ok, but it would not pick up the ones with the tops still on. Plus it left the tops which are just about as bad as the acorns.

Raking is not very good, I have St. Augustine and it does not rake very well.
Blowing then up did not work well, it would get them but not out of the grass, if they were on top it worked but that's about it.

So my last hope was the shop vac, and did it work and worked great, cleaned them up in no time at all.

Now if I could just sell them .......

Rick Moyer
12-29-2014, 6:15 PM
Don't let the squirrels see you doing that. They'll steal your shop vac! :)

Curt Harms
12-30-2014, 8:57 AM

Wife feeds squirrels so we have a fair population. The pin oak acorns never make it to maturity. I do find half eaten green ones though.

Bill Huber
12-30-2014, 9:05 AM

For some reason we just don't have any squirrels around me, I don't know why but we just don't.
We do have some rabbits but no squirrels.

Matt Day
12-30-2014, 9:32 AM
For some reason we just don't have any squirrels around me, I don't know why but we just don't.
We do have some rabbits but no squirrels.

You can have ours! We have way too many grey squirrels and black squirrels. Do you want some suburban deer too? I'd buy a rifle and take a few for venison, too bad the law doesn't allow it.

Great idea on the shop vac. My 2 year old daughter is my shop vac for now - she loves picking up acorns and pinecones and putting them in a bucket. Much slower than a shop vac, but it keeps her busy!

Bill Huber
12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
You can have ours! We have way too many grey squirrels and black squirrels. Do you want some suburban deer too? I'd buy a rifle and take a few for venison, too bad the law doesn't allow it.

Great idea on the shop vac. My 2 year old daughter is my shop vac for now - she loves picking up acorns and pinecones and putting them in a bucket. Much slower than a shop vac, but it keeps her busy!

My 7 year old grand daughter loves to pick them up with the shop vac.

It could be this guy that keeps the squirrels away, he hangs around a lot, he was setting on the house behind me the other day until about noon.

Wade Lippman
12-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Now if I could just sell them .......

I have eaten them; it is not worth it, except to see how it is done. You have to boil them in several changes of water. At the end they are tasteless and mushy.

I am told that white oak acorns can often be eaten raw, but haven't actually found any.

Joe Tilson
01-02-2015, 9:02 AM
A shop vac is also good for picking up shattered glass from a broken out door table. Our daughter's got broken right before a birthday party. The shop vac did a really nice job of picking up the glass. The next time we will use the large particle separator to hold the glass, as the filter took a beating.
Joe

Dave Richards
01-02-2015, 11:29 AM
The house where I grew up had a flowering crab apple in the front yard. You couldn't rake the apples up and the critters wouldn't eat them. My mother took to vacuuming the front yard with the shop vac. Made fairly quick work of it.