PDA

View Full Version : Fixing incorrect internet listings

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2014, 7:50 AM
If you google Crooked Tree Joinery it comes up with my old address and a phone number that has not been used in ten years. I have called and tried to get the listing corrected a number of times to no avail. There are sights that say they will do it, for a fee but I do not want to pay a fee.

Any suggestions?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-29-2014, 8:12 AM
First, you need to be sure that you are allowing bots for the various search engines. That has to be done from your provider's control panel, so I can't really tell you how to do it specifically, but there will be a screen where you can select what bots you want to allow. The bots will search your site periodically and update the search engines. I would not pay someone unless it was someone I met in person and trusted.

Search engines send "bots" to your site that are basically cookies that transmit data back to Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. If you have them turned off, you won't get updates to your search.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2014, 8:18 AM
Larry, you'll have to be more specific. You say "When you google, the address is wrong". Help me understand that, because Google is a search engine. It's displaying things from many sources. You have to fix the sources. For instance, the address is shows in my browser, on the map, can be fixed pretty easily. You need a Google+ account and you claim that place as your business, you update all the info about your business, and soon after that, it'll display correctly. You then have to address each instance of it being incorrect and seeing if they have a mechanism for fixing those things.

At the bottom of the map on my search display, it asks if you are the business owner. If so, you click it, and that'll get you started.

Hope that helps some.

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Its the physical address that is wrong. I have clicked on a few but in order to change information to what is correct you have to sign up and pay a fee. Basically it is extortion.

Gotta run....

Larry

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Its the physical address that is wrong. I have clicked on a few but in order to change information to what is correct you have to sign up and pay a fee. Basically it is extortion.

Gotta run....

Larry

The physical address where Larry? I think we understand it's saying your physical address is wrong, but where are you saying it's wrong. "Google" isn't a "place", it's a listing of other sites. Which sites are showing it wrong? Goggle is only showing results of searches, as well as the address in their map system. If you sign up for Google+ and "Take ownership" of the business in their eyes, then the map will update. If it's on other sites, then there is nothing you can do. A lot of people pull the address from Google+, so that would be the best place to start. If you're talking about updating the address in things like Angie's List, then I believe you're out of luck unless you want to pay. But Google+ is a great place to start getting it fixed. It's free to sign up for it and you can list a lot of info about your business. The more you list, the better it's going to help you.

Grant Wilkinson
12-29-2014, 2:55 PM
Larry: Just to understand better, are you saying that the information on this site

http://www.furniturelist.us/company-crooked-tree-joinery-in-indian-river-mi-56083

for example is wrong? As Scott as said, this has nothing to do with Google. I did not use Google to find the furniture list site. If the info on their site is wrong, I would suggest that you contact them and tell them.

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2014, 5:23 PM
That is the first one I tried to change. You go through the whole process only to get to a page that says if you want to continue pick a plan and get out your Visa.

I would much rather have no information out there than the wrong information.

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2014, 6:07 PM
Ok, that site led me to the page that wanted money and I clicked off. Then got a call from a salesman at Yext, will sell me the $1000 package for only $500, all sites cleared and proper address and numbers. Extortion!

The thing is I never listed my business on any sight, they must have picked it up years ago from Google. I just happened to get up this morning and search my business name and found all of these sites, all with the wrong numbers.

Mark Bolton
12-29-2014, 6:59 PM
Larry.. with all do respect I will say, calm down... once you have.. sign up for a free google account. Once you have done that, and as has been stated "claim" your page, you can make changes to your info at will. All for free. I have my info 100% up to date and have even called google direct and they will spend all the time you want on the phone with you FOR FREE. Its utterly impressive.

Those trying to sell to you are third party people. Google is amazingly helpful.

If you need a hand feel free to PM me and Ill give you a ring. Its super easy. Your just caught chasing your tail.

All else fails just call google tech support and they will walk you through it without asking for a dime or trying to sell you a thing.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2014, 7:03 PM
Larry, let's get you started by doing what we have repeatedly said, go to this page, where is says "Is this your business", click "manage this page" and you'll start. Once you get that done, all the other sites are doing nothing but pulling data from google's old listing. If you update this site, then in time, all the places will get updated. It's really not that difficult.

Click on this and start the process :

https://plus.google.com/101871999930856709903/about?gl=us&hl=en

Larry Edgerton
12-30-2014, 8:52 AM
Ok, Ok........

I'm calmed down. It was a bit of a shock for me to see "all" the listings on the net with the wrong information. I am making a shift in my business away from construction and toward more shop work so I thought I would see what comes up. I've never advertised but thought I may have to to get away from building homes. I'll start with Google.

Thank You, Larry

Mark Bolton
12-30-2014, 9:05 AM
Ok, Ok........

I'm calmed down. It was a bit of a shock for me to see "all" the listings on the net with the wrong information. I am making a shift in my business away from construction and toward more shop work so I thought I would see what comes up. I've never advertised but thought I may have to to get away from building homes. I'll start with Google.

Thank You, Larry

I've been going through the identical transition which is why its fresh in my mind. Make sure you add a LOT of descriptive info in your profile. That's what gogle looks for. Their staff is amazingly willing to go over your info with you on the phone and give you tips.