PDA

View Full Version : Is an oil a good choice to finish mixed wood panels?

Bob Crimmins
12-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Holiday greetings!

I'm paneling the back of a built-in spice rack (about 45" x 45") in the theme of a Mondrian patchwork with different color/grain pieces using door skins and luan. I want to apply a simple finish that won't change the look of the color'grain but will protect it from the moisture that goes along with a kitchen. I was thinking perhaps a linseed or tung oil... but I'm a rookie finisher so I'm not sure oils are the best choice. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bob

Jim Becker
12-29-2014, 9:59 AM
Oil is fine for a nice look on a decorative item, but provides little "protection", as it were. As an alternative to BLO or Tung Oil (real Tung Oil), you could use an oil/varnish/spirits mix to do a little more sealing. It will have the same amber effect as the straight oil and also soak into the wood, but dries harder. BTW, if this is a closed cabinet, you don't want to use an oil based finish on the inside...it will off-gas "forever" and be smelly. If you want next to zero color alteration, use a water borne finish.

Bob Crimmins
12-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Jim. This will be an open rack so I reckon the off gassing won't be an issue. I like the idea of a bit more sealing protection. Is there a commercially available (Lowes/Home Depot/etc.) oil/varnish/spirits mix you'd recommend?

Jim Becker
12-29-2014, 8:30 PM
See if they have Minwax Antique Oil finish; either at the big box or go to a real Sherwin Williams paint store. I've used it on turnings with good results, but I don't really use any oil based finishes anymore. That said, making your own wiping varnish is easy and inexpensive 1/3 Mineral Spirits, 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Oil based varnish (preferably a non-polyurethane if you can, IMHO...which requires going to the "real" paint store)

George Troy Hurlburt
01-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I would use just the Minwax Antique oil finish. I stay away from BLO because of disposal. Go to Amazon and you will get a lot of reviews about Minwax Antique oil finish. Many describe how they use it.

Bill White
01-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Watco Danish oil-natural.
Bill

Howard Acheson
01-04-2015, 11:19 AM
>>>> I would use just the Minwax Antique oil finish.

Minwax Antique Oil is over 50% linseed oil.

>>>> I stay away from BLO because of disposal.

I don't understand. What is the issue with "disposal"?

Jim Becker
01-04-2015, 4:10 PM
>>>> I stay away from BLO because of disposal.

I don't understand. What is the issue with "disposal"?

Likely referring to disposal of rags used to apply the oil, but that doesn't go away with other oil-based products, either, be they varnish or some mixture. Rags still need to be disposed of properly to avoid spontaneous combustion issues.