PDA

View Full Version : handsaw saw tooth set tool....?

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2014, 5:37 PM
OK...now that I'm getting into handsaws and I have several that need work as well as sharpening and setting.....what is a good saw set that I can get that will take me through about 16 tpi???

David Dalzell
12-28-2014, 6:06 PM
Stanley 42x is good. This is what I have

Steve Voigt
12-28-2014, 6:38 PM
The 42X is the traditional recommendation, and for good reason, but it can be hard to find one without paying through the nose. Lots of other sets work fine. My personal favorite is the Eclipse 77. The Taintor's positive no. 7 is also a good set. And you can get new ones from Tools for Working Wood. I haven't tried those, but haven't really heard complaints about them either.

Jonathan Martell
12-29-2014, 9:11 AM
Ebay has the 42X fairly often, but beware that there are 42 models that are listed as the 42X. They are different. Take a look at google to see the differences so you know what you are bidding on. They seem to go for around $40

Jim Koepke
12-29-2014, 12:32 PM
If you go the ebay route, first learn to spot the differences between the 42X and the other saw sets with a similar look.

Often items are improperly listed. My recollection is one was listed as a "cast iron tool." Another SMC member was able to snag it for about $20.

With a little patience and careful bidding it shouldn't take too long to get one.

This subject comes up some what regularly. Here is an old thread on the subject:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195194-Saw-set-recomendations

Of course all the old ebay listings can no longer be seen. There is a post with links to other discussions on the subject.

Here is a current (slightly miss listed) listing that looks to not attract much attention > 311234732484 <.

It is missing the part used for setting circular saw blades. If it isn't needed, it isn't important.

jtk

Jonathan Martell
12-29-2014, 1:09 PM
If you go the ebay route, first learn to spot the differences between the 42X and the other saw sets with a similar look.

Often items are improperly listed. My recollection is one was listed as a "cast iron tool." Another SMC member was able to snag it for about $20.

With a little patience and careful bidding it shouldn't take too long to get one.

This subject comes up some what regularly. Here is an old thread on the subject:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195194-Saw-set-recomendations

Of course all the old ebay listings can no longer be seen. There is a post with links to other discussions on the subject.

Here is a current (slightly miss listed) listing that looks to not attract much attention > 311234732484 <.

It is missing the part used for setting circular saw blades. If it isn't needed, it isn't important.

jtk

I only saw a few in the couple of months that I was watching them that came with the circular saw attachment. It looks easy enough to make if someone needed to.

Jim Matthews
12-29-2014, 6:06 PM
I recommend buying the Blue Somax from Tools for working wood.

It's enough for most saws that need frequent sharpening,
the ones with smaller teeth. It will work, straight out of the box.

I have three older saw sets from eBay.
One of them works, sort of...