PDA

View Full Version : More corel help

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I've read as much as I can find here about what I'm trying to do maybe I just don't understand what your saying. I've tried Skew, shape and stretch. But everything I try grabs more then I want. I just want to grab the 2 rounded corners and stretch them a little I have a 1 cm space on 3 sides. How do I get just the 2 rounded corners.:confused:302846The corners are wider then the rest I want them the same.

Ian Franks
12-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Not sure if this will help. First make sure your shape is converted to curves. (Right click on your shape and click on "Convert to curves".) Then use the "shape tool" to select the nodes on the rounded corners. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move these nodes which will stretch/shrink your shape. You can also drag the nodes with the shape tool (instead of using the arrows on the keyboard) if you prefer.

John Noell
12-28-2014, 12:58 PM
If it is not already a curve, right click and choose "convert to curves." Then, click on the "Shape" tool (F10), then the object and you should see the handles. Click and drag around the handles of the corners you want, then drag (or arrow) to where you want them. Hope this helps.

Ian beat me!!!

Richard Rumancik
12-28-2014, 1:17 PM
Your question is a bit confusing but I'll try to help anyway . . . so it sounds like you want a constant 1 cm band around the 3 sides and it is currently not 1 cm wide at the corners.

I can't tell which 2 corners you want to change from your questions - there are 4 radii in the sketch - let's assume that it is the outer two radii. I am using CorelDraw X4 and in my experience I have not found a way to edit existing radii using the Fillet/Docker. (If I re-select a radiused corner and try to apply a new radius Coreldraw seems to ignore it - not sure which version you are using and/or if later versions allow editing of existing radii.)

If you are just wanting to select the corners and manually "stretch" them by eye so there is a 1 cm band, I really don't think this would be practicable unless you don't care much about accuracy and are good at node editing. When you start tugging at the nodes and handles you can come up with some interesting shapes and they will not be true radii at all.

So for me, I would redraw the outer rectangle, convert to curves, and then change the two left outer radii so they are 1 cm larger than what you used on the inside (using the Fillet Docker.) You can select the corners one at a time or with a window capturing both (to use the window, pick the rectangular-curve using pick tool, then use the shape tool to drag a window over the two nodes.) Then apply the required radius.

If it is the inside corners you want changed the process is much the same, just make the two radii 1 cm smaller than the outside.

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 1:20 PM
Ian, that works sort of:) I can grab just the corner and and stretch it out but you have to grab it dead center of the radius and then drag it out exactly evenly , if you move the cursor left or right at all it comes out uneven, I got it good enough for what I want using your method, but there has got to be a way to grab the corner and move it evenly. But Like I said I got it close enough this way. Thank you.

Scott Shepherd
12-28-2014, 2:23 PM
Ian, that works sort of:) I can grab just the corner and and stretch it out but you have to grab it dead center of the radius and then drag it out exactly evenly , if you move the cursor left or right at all it comes out uneven, I got it good enough for what I want using your method, but there has got to be a way to grab the corner and move it evenly. But Like I said I got it close enough this way. Thank you.

Bert, it might not be an issue of needing to drag something out evenly, it might be drawing it differently that causes you not to have to do it like that. Post a photo of the final drawing you wanted and we'll see if we can show you different ways to draw it that might prevent you from having to shift it around.

Gary Hair
12-28-2014, 3:25 PM
How about using the contour tool? Draw the inner shape and then use a 1cm offset.

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 3:37 PM
Scott can't post a photo of the way it should be because I can't get it that way LOL. What I did was
make a rectangle, then gave a 1" round radius to the left side corners. I then duplicated that, sized it down to where the outside edges were 1cm inside the outside and inserted it in the larger. Problem lies that the corners don't maintain an equal . Hard to explain. but i want to end up with a horseshoe shape that s 1cm wide all the way around ( the shape you see in my post open at the right side.)
Sctott Shepherd;2352608]Bert, it might not be an issue of needing to drag something out evenly, it might be drawing it differently that causes you not to have to do it like that. Post a photo of the final drawing you wanted and we'll see if we can show you different ways to draw it that might prevent you from having to shift it around.[/QUOTE]

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 3:49 PM
This is basically302870 what I want but open one the end like a horsehoe and 1 cm all the way around. if theres a better way to draw it or adjust the corners I'm all ears

Bert, it might not be an issue of needing to drag something out evenly, it might be drawing it differently that causes you not to have to do it like that. Post a photo of the final drawing you wanted and we'll see if we can show you different ways to draw it that might prevent you from having to shift it around.

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 3:51 PM
OK I'll try to figure out how to do that:D

How about using the contour tool? Draw the inner shape and then use a 1cm offset.

Bert Kemp
12-28-2014, 4:06 PM
This works pretty good. It gives me equal sides all the way around, all I have to do is extend the inner out past the outer and chop off the ends to get an open ended horseshoe:) Thanks.

Brian Leavitt
12-29-2014, 5:36 PM
This works pretty good. It gives me equal sides all the way around, all I have to do is extend the inner out past the outer and chop off the ends to get an open ended horseshoe:) Thanks.

What I do, which is similar to this, is as follows:

1: draw rectangle to appropriate outside dimension
2: set corner radius
3: Ctrl+D to duplicate
4: Set line width of duplicated rectangle to twice what I want it to be in the final shape (e.g - if you want a 1cm space, set line width to 2cm)
5: Ctrl+Q to convert outline to object
6: Right click on one of the colors in the palette to set outline color of duplicated rectangle
7: Remove fill color from duplicated rectangle (left click on X in color palette)
8: Ctrl+K to break duplicated shape apart
9: Delete outer-most rectangle of duplicated shape
10: Select inner rectangle and original rectangle and Ctrl+L to combine

This seems like a lot, but I've been doing it like this for so long, it takes maybe 5 seconds.

And sorry - I'm not very good at explaining things...

Bert Kemp
12-29-2014, 5:48 PM
Thanks Brian I'll try this method also. So many different ways but none easy. You would think they could make it easier:D

What I do, which is similar to this, is as follows:

1: draw rectangle to appropriate outside dimension
2: set corner radius
3: Ctrl+D to duplicate
4: Set line width of duplicated rectangle to twice what I want it to be in the final shape (e.g - if you want a 1cm space, set line width to 2cm)
5: Ctrl+Q to convert outline to object
6: Right click on one of the colors in the palette to set outline color of duplicated rectangle
7: Remove fill color from duplicated rectangle (left click on X in color palette)
8: Ctrl+K to break duplicated shape apart
9: Delete outer-most rectangle of duplicated shape
10: Select inner rectangle and original rectangle and Ctrl+L to combine

This seems like a lot, but I've been doing it like this for so long, it takes maybe 5 seconds.

And sorry - I'm not very good at explaining things...

Mike Null
12-29-2014, 6:49 PM
Bert

Here's another method. In the picture I placed the box over the end--once you follow the final step the box will disappear.

Bert Kemp
12-29-2014, 7:24 PM
:):) thanks Mike I think this is easiest way to get it:)