PDA

View Full Version : Need help on bending wood trim, or suggestions on how to achieve this look

Scott Brandstetter
12-28-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm thinking about making a twin bed for my friend's two year old and she gave me a picture of what she would like. Essentially the headboard and footboard have a curved top with a "cap" of wood trim over the curve. I'm not sure exactly how best to get this curved "cap". I realize I could by flexible trim but would like to know how to achieve it with real wood. The picture below shows what I am questioning.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mel Fulks
12-28-2014, 12:40 AM
For that application I would band saw out two pieces, make neat butt joint in center . Less short end grain than making it
in one piece. It could be laminated or steamed,but I don't see any advantage over just sawing and sanding

Chris Padilla
12-28-2014, 1:25 AM
I think I would bandsaw thin strips of wood and glue them up in an MDF form with a hard-drying glue like Urea or a plastic resin glue.

Scott Brandstetter
12-28-2014, 1:36 AM
I'm the original poster, so, let me ask this question another way. If I wanted to create this curve in a production method, meaning I had to build 10 of these at a time, how would I do this the most productive, least expensive way. I realize that sometimes the two don't always match up.

Brian Henderson
12-28-2014, 2:16 AM
It certainly can be done with an MDF form and a steam box, but like Mel said, I can't see any good reason to do it, especially since, from the picture, it's going to be painted anyhow. Just cut it out, glue it up and sand it smooth.

Mike Cutler
12-28-2014, 7:22 AM
I'd bend it myself. But I see Mel's point too.

If you have to make 10 at a time, you just need to pick your method. If you steam bend them you would need 10 forms. Same with cold forming. If you do Mel's method you need to make a nice sandwich template and free hand the form through a router, or shaper table.

Perry Holbrook
12-28-2014, 7:49 AM
Back in the days I managed a large furniture factory, those caps were made on a "profile shaper". Glue up the blank, rough cut on band saw, mount on the profile shaper. This machine had a large shaper head that could follow a template.
Today, I would think it is done on a CNC.

Perry