PDA

View Full Version : Lumbersexuals

BILL DONAHUE
12-27-2014, 8:39 PM
Who would have guessed that guys like all of us would become the topic of many articles in trendy magazines read mainly by urban young females. Yeah, we are on the leading edge of a growing movement taking place right now. We are the "lumbersexuals." Apparently, the latest trend is for young women in big cities to think of guys who wear flannel shirts, work boots and do manly things like woodworking as "hot." Here's part of an article from "The Atlantic."

The first one I met was at an inauguration party in 2009. I was in a cocktail dress. He was in jeans, work boots, and a flannel shirt. He had John Henry tattooed on his bicep. He was white. Somehow, at a fairly elegant affair, he had found a can of PBR. Since then they’ve multiplied. You can see them in coffee shops and bars and artisanal butchers. They don't exactly cut down trees, but they might try their hand at agriculture and woodworking, even if only in the form of window-box herb gardens.
In the last month, these bearded, manly men even earned themselves a pithy nickname: the lumbersexuals. GearJunkie coined the term (http://gearjunkie.com/the-rise-of-the-lumbersexual) only a few weeks ago, and since then Jezebel (http://jezebel.com/who-is-the-lumbersexual-and-is-anything-about-him-real-1657504397), Gawker (http://gawker.com/are-you-a-lumbersexual-1657844454), The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/14/lumbersexual-beard-plaid-male-fashion) and Time (http://time.com/3603216/confessions-of-a-lumbersexual/) have jumped in to analyze their style. BuzzFeed even has a holiday gift guide (http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/beard-oil-for-everyone) for the lumbersexual in your life. (He would, apparently, like bourbon-flavored syrup and beard oil.)

I hope my wife can handle my new image. It's making me feel better already!

David Heathcote
12-27-2014, 10:48 PM
What is "beard oil"?

What's wrong with 10w30?

;)

David Hill
12-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Haha,rofl.
My wife's reply to that is she's always been ahead of the times.

John Coloccia
12-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm glad someone has finally figured out why I'm so irresistible to women.

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2014, 8:34 AM
Apparently the look attracts women but they grow tired of it......

I've been married three times.......

Bill Orbine
12-28-2014, 8:54 AM
My shavings are my aftershaves!

Doug Ladendorf
12-28-2014, 9:34 AM
Cool, I told my wife not to worry about the extra attention I will be getting - I can handle it. She was nonplussed.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Silly Posers

Rick Moyer
12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
And all this time I thought is was my charming personality :D

Shawn Pixley
12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Yet another trend I missed...

Bryan Rocker
12-28-2014, 1:09 PM
I love it, wonder if I could get that on my license plate......

Jim Koepke
12-28-2014, 2:19 PM
I love it, wonder if I could get that on my license plate......

LMBRSXL

Shouldn't raise any flags in most states.

jtk

Erik Loza
12-28-2014, 4:08 PM
My next door neighbor is trying to be one of these. 20-something year old hipster kid, drinks from a mason jar, the whole "I'm vintage" act. We're cool with each other but it is quite silly. I watched him try to build a side table in his backyard from scrap lumber, using a carpenter's saw and maybe 10-12 oz hammer. I never saw a square but he did have a pencil. Took three days and doubt there's any vaguely square angle on it but he was quite proud of his effort.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

John Coloccia
12-28-2014, 4:42 PM
act

And there is the operative word. I really don't have anything against most people, but I hate phoneys. I especially hate phoneys that drink PBR, because they truly have no redeeming qualities.

Erik Loza
12-28-2014, 4:53 PM
Hahaha, John. I must be used to seeing them here in Austin. It's funny to me how "primitive techniques" are something to aspire to.

Same neighbor took down a small tree in his yard with the same carpenter's saw that he made said table with. Took him days. Who the heck has time for that? I was out in the yard one day and saw him digging out the stump with a pick axe and tiny shovel. Again, three days work. I see him kneeling in this pit he has dug around the stump, trying to get it out, covered in dirt and sweat. Offered to lend him my Sawzall with a big ripper blade on it. "Dude, you'll be done in 20 minutes".

"Naw, I got it covered", as he's duplicating the whole opening scene from "There Will Be Blood" with Daniel Day Lewis down in the mineshaft. Funny thing was that I caught his girlfriend giving him a hard time for not taking me up on the offer afterward. I think he would go to a creek to gather water if we had one nearby.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jason Roehl
12-28-2014, 5:08 PM
And there is the operative word. I really don't have anything against most people, but I hate phoneys. I especially hate phoneys that drink PBR, because they truly have no redeeming qualities.

What do you have against "Nectar of the Gods" (what a friend calls it)?

For me, it's like all the other mass-produced beers, foreign or domestic--I'll drink it if it's free, but I won't buy it.

David Helm
12-28-2014, 5:57 PM
In my part of the world everyone dresses that way and most have beards. The men too!

Jim Koepke
12-28-2014, 7:17 PM
I watched him try to build a side table in his backyard from scrap lumber, using a carpenter's saw and maybe 10-12 oz hammer. I never saw a square but he did have a pencil. Took three days and doubt there's any vaguely square angle on it but he was quite proud of his effort.

Well I don't feel so bad. My wife's craft table fell apart. It took me less than three hours to hack up some 2X4s, cut bridal joints, put it together, attach the top and get rid of what was left of her old table. Well I did use a Makita to drive the screws. But I used a hand screw driver to clock them all.

jtk

Jim Matthews
12-28-2014, 9:47 PM
Now available in an easy to apply container.

John Goodin
12-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Erik,
based on you description of your neighbor, you must be in south austin. I am in cedar park, an area completely lacking in hipsters but not plastic personalities.

Phil Thien
12-29-2014, 9:36 AM
What do you have against "Nectar of the Gods" (what a friend calls it)?

For me, it's like all the other mass-produced beers, foreign or domestic--I'll drink it if it's free, but I won't buy it.

I buy it because it is a decent American lager, and I know exactly what I'm going to get.

I'm more or less done with all the weird carp out there. Unless someone I know specifically recommends something they think I'd enjoy, I'll just stick to what I know.

If people need to identify with the beer they drink, or identify others based on what they're drinking, that is their problem.

Erik Loza
12-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Erik,
based on you description of your neighbor, you must be in south austin. I am in cedar park, an area completely lacking in hipsters but not plastic personalities.

HAHAHAHA!.... You are 100% correct, John. Travis Heights (near Zilker Park) to be exact: Belly of the beast. My wife and I find it all very amusing. I'm as DIY a guy as they come but on the other hand, am also smart enough to know when it's a better investment of my time and money to pay someone to do a certain task or to buy tools which will help accomplish what needs to get done. That has always been the funny thing about hipsters or whatever you want to call them: Pooh-pooh any sort of tools or materials which would actually facilitate or improve the end result for fear of the fact that it somehow takes the "soul" out of their project.

It's the irony which gets me. We went on a chicken coop tour a couple of years back (South Austin and the East Side, of course...). Nice homes that were not inexpensive, so I know the owners could probably afford to throw a few hundred dollars at a chicken coop but many were "vintage" or "up-cycled". Sorry, they were just not well constructed and the funny thing is that I'll bet they paid "vintage" prices for all those old windows and doors. They couldh ave built a way better coop for less money by just going over to lowes or HD. So, it's like they actively go out of their way and pay more more to get a shabbier result. Oh well, keep Austin weird.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bert Kemp
12-29-2014, 11:01 AM
I'd give the guy a little credit, he wants do it it on his own and he doesn't give up.

Hahaha, John. I must be used to seeing them here in Austin. It's funny to me how "primitive techniques" are something to aspire to.

Same neighbor took down a small tree in his yard with the same carpenter's saw that he made said table with. Took him days. Who the heck has time for that? I was out in the yard one day and saw him digging out the stump with a pick axe and tiny shovel. Again, three days work. I see him kneeling in this pit he has dug around the stump, trying to get it out, covered in dirt and sweat. Offered to lend him my Sawzall with a big ripper blade on it. "Dude, you'll be done in 20 minutes".

"Naw, I got it covered", as he's duplicating the whole opening scene from "There Will Be Blood" with Daniel Day Lewis down in the mineshaft. Funny thing was that I caught his girlfriend giving him a hard time for not taking me up on the offer afterward. I think he would go to a creek to gather water if we had one nearby.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Erik Loza
12-29-2014, 12:13 PM
I'd give the guy a little credit, he wants do it it on his own and he doesn't give up.

Hey, my wife baked them Xmas cookies. More power to him, even though his logic doesn't work for me.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Dave Anderson NH
12-29-2014, 12:23 PM
If this is now the hip and "in" thing to attract the women I'm through. It's time to shave off my beard and burn my flannel shirts or at least turn them into cleaning rags. Besides, SWMBO says that if I try and attract any women I will rapidly become eligible to sing 1st Soprano with the Vienna Boy's Choir.

Larry Browning
12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Besides, SWMBO says that if I try and attract any women I will rapidly become eligible to sing 1st Soprano with the Vienna Boy's Choir.
It is good to know she cares! Makes you feel wanted.

Dan Hintz
12-29-2014, 1:20 PM

HAHAHAHA!.... You are 100% correct, John. Travis Heights (near Zilker Park) to be exact: Belly of the beast.

My brother is in Jollyville (just SE of John) and I don't recall any behavior like that in his "neighborhood"... must be a very localized thing.

Kent A Bathurst
12-29-2014, 1:41 PM
If this is now the hip and "in" thing to attract the women I'm through.

Yeah, Dave - like you have been playing in that arena anyway, eh? :D :D

greg Forster
12-30-2014, 8:15 PM
here ya go:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcvmmOkqJI

Bruce Page
12-30-2014, 8:47 PM
here ya go:

lol, that was great!

Rick Potter
12-31-2014, 4:06 AM
Told the wife how desirable I was to the ladies. Been wearing this stuff for years. She just laughed at me.. downer.

BTW....In my book Carhart is out, Deluth Trading is in...long live the longtail T.

Just got my Christmas box of new flannels from them.

Andrew Kertesz
12-31-2014, 6:03 AM
Not sure if it was "Jeff Foxworthy" or "Larry the Cable Guy" that said: "Say no to crack, pull up your jeans".....

Rick Moyer
12-31-2014, 8:42 AM
here ya go:

I'm suing! That guy doesn't even look like me! :p

Mel Fulks
12-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Replies here are amusing ,but I think the intent of the woman's article was to see if other women would approve of her finding
a guy attractive who might not be rich. Don't think any of us are going to benefit from the Paul Bunyon look without adding a stethoscope or expensive brief case.

Larry Edgerton
12-31-2014, 3:27 PM
It must work, when you look like this:

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/crookedtreejoinery/P1010722_zpsfe2028c1.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/P1010722_zpsfe2028c1.jpg.html)

You get this:

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/crookedtreejoinery/AviaryPhoto_130251566202070543_zpsca132d09.png (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/AviaryPhoto_130251566202070543_zpsca132d09.png.htm l)
(http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/P1010722_zpsfe2028c1.jpg.html?o=9)
(http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/P1010722_zpsfe2028c1.jpg.html?o=9)Works for me..........

Roger Rettenmeier
12-31-2014, 4:59 PM
The term begs a question... Does the look of a Lumbersexual actually translate into any skill.....at all?

Larry Edgerton
12-31-2014, 6:03 PM
The whole thing cracks me up!:D

But why did they have to wait till I'm 60 to figure out I'm hot?

At least I was able to fool my wife [above] for the last 17 years.....

John Pratt
01-05-2015, 1:51 PM
My brother lives in NYC and they are everywhere. The new collectable is hand axes, not to use mind you, but to hang on the wall. What I find amusing is the metrosexual now lumbersexual trying desperately to try to look like they do manual labor for a living (most failing miserably). The "flannel" shirts that are really a poly blend, the skinny jeans with work boots, and of course the ever present "working-man" beard. Sorry, but as the saying goes; "Your skinny jeans render your beard invalid."

Dale Schafer
01-05-2015, 2:08 PM
That look has been here for decades, never heard of the term Lumbersexual. Here there just called bogans lol

Shawn Pachlhofer
01-05-2015, 2:20 PM
hipsters.

pffffffft.

Sam Murdoch
01-05-2015, 3:11 PM
My woman friend of the 70s :eek: once put an exceptional live edged slab of figured maple in our bed (under the covers) :rolleyes:.
Yup - she was trying to make a point - all in good humor. I made a real nice low table out of it - The Star Trek Enterprise table of 1976.:cool:

Oh yeah - I definitely fit the image in those days.

The friend is long gone. The table has been modified - the top repurposed as I evolved as a woodworker and became more worthy of such a great slab.

My lovely and loving wife does not place any "competition" in our bed :D.

Was I - am I - a lumbersexual? (I know that I am no longer a limbersexual :(.)

Doug Ladendorf
01-05-2015, 7:05 PM
The new collectable is hand axes, not to use mind you, but to hang on the wall.

Perhaps this explains why Gransford axes were selling on eBay for $100 more than they are from most retailers...

John Pratt
01-06-2015, 9:17 AM
Somewhere along the line society changed.

John A langley
01-06-2015, 9:52 AM
Somewhere along the line society changed.

That's no joke and in more ways than one