PDA

View Full Version : When do you use a miter gauge?

Ron Kanter
07-20-2005, 8:27 PM
The current thread asking for opinions on the Osborne EB3 Miter Gauge (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22542&highlight=miter+gauge) made me wonder why and when people use a miter gauge instead of a sled. I understand that most sleds are designed to cut only 90 or 45 degree angles and a miter gauge would be useful for those odd angle cuts.

Is that it? When do you use your miter guage and why? The range of cost - $50 to $300 suggests that there is a big market for after-market gauges. I just don't know why.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer about use and model preferences.
Ron

John Strait
07-20-2005, 8:45 PM
I just used mine last week to cut all the pieces for an octagon shaped Regulator clock. My sled is not setup for 22 1/2* angles so my miter gauge worked good. If you are not cutting odd angles, you could get by without a miter gauge and just use your sled. You can also make some setup blocks at various angles and use your miter gauge that came with your saw. Make a 90*, 45*, 30*, and 22 1/2* block and use them to set it up. I would put a zero clearance fence on the gauge, and you may also need to peen the miter rail for a tighter fit in your miter slot.

John

Phil Maddox
07-20-2005, 8:48 PM
My answer to the when do you use a miter gauge is:
Just about never!

I have a "Dubby" cut-off sled and use it instead. I can't figure out why there is such a market for miter gauges.

Phil

Jim Becker
07-20-2005, 9:10 PM
I use my miter gauge a lot for simple cross cuts of narrow stock. It's convenient...and for the most part all those cuts are at 90º anyway. I keep an MDF sactificial fence on it for precisely locating the cut. (I pretty much never use the CMS for anything "important"...)

I use sleds for wider stuff and picture frame miters.

Mike Cutler
07-20-2005, 9:25 PM
I have an Incra Model 2000 Miter. I use it primarily for smaller, repetetive cuts , and cuts where a lot of accuracy is required, between different cutting evolutions. It has a sacrificial fence that I can "zero" anytme.
I also have a sled. It's primarily used for wider/larger wider material. and it's dead on at 90deg.
The Incra is right next to the saw, and the sled hangs on the wall a few feet away. The Incra is smaller and lighter, so it's probably just a lazy habit choice. As a matter of fact I really don't even like the Incra 2000 miter, but I did pay big bucks for it, so I might as well use it. I've actually been using it on the bandsaw more and more.

JayStPeter
07-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I use my SmartMiter for most crosscuts. Well, as long as I'm using a normal blade at 90*.

I use my Incra 1000 SE for quick/dirty crosscuts as it is easier to just grab and throw on. I also use it with various stops to make dados and tennons. I often use it when making beveled crosscuts also.

I like and use it because it's quick easy to setup for different blade configurations. It is also very accurate. The reason I chose the incra is the size and weight seemed easiest to deal with of the accurate miter gauges. The capacity of the flip-stop with the extendable fence is also quite nice.

Jay

frank shic
07-20-2005, 10:26 PM
i keep my miter gauge under my pillow so that if any thieves come prowling at night and try to make off with my table saw i can give them a quick WHACK in the head as they stand there trying to figure out how they're going to fit the entire table saw with the sliding table attachment into their pickup! :D

Corey Hallagan
07-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Always have used my miter guage for all crosscutting other than cutting panels. I haven't built a panel cutter for this saw yet. Ihave the Incra 1000SE and plan on using it for all angle cuts within it's capacity. That is what I bought it for. It makes perfect 90 and angled cuts, was perfect out of the box.

Corey

Mark Singer
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
A sled is better for 90 degree cuts and a 45 sled is the way to go for miters. The miter gauge is good for the oter angles and odd pieces that don't work in the sled. The CMS if tuned is good for trim ...smaller frames and repetative cuts that are not as critical

Ken Salisbury
07-21-2005, 4:34 AM
2 years ago (Aug 03) I bought a Jointech Smart Miter. I use it for 98% of all my angled cuts. My 2 miter saws have seen little or no usage since.

Here is a Jointech Smart Miter review (http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smartmiter.htm) I wrote.

Ron Kanter
07-21-2005, 6:18 PM
Thanks guys.
SMC - ask and it shall be answered.
Ron

Alan Turner
07-21-2005, 8:51 PM
Ron,
I use a miter guage for angles, and for quick cuts, and the sled for small pieces, and when it really matters. The miter guage is quicker, but not as controllable. I have the Kreg, and it is dead on, but the stock is not so easy to control as on the sled.