PDA

View Full Version : Band saw decision

tom van sickle
12-26-2014, 7:01 PM
I really appreciate every ones input. I have decided to go with the 17" Grizzly GO513x2. Now I'm going to obsess as to whether or not I need a foot brake. Hope every one has a joyous and productive New Year!

Mike Cutler
12-26-2014, 7:10 PM
I really appreciate every ones input. I have decided to go with the 17" Grizzly GO513x2. Now I'm going to obsess as to whether or not I need a foot brake. Hope every one has a joyous and productive New Year!

Tom
Go with the footbrake. I've never used one personally, but if there's a question in your mind, get the foot brake model and save yourself the mental gymnastics. ;)

Brian Henderson
12-26-2014, 7:28 PM
Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

Art Mann
12-26-2014, 8:01 PM
I use the "random piece of scrap wood" brake when I am too anxious to allow the saw to coast to a stop.

Fred Belknap
12-26-2014, 8:40 PM
I have the footbrake on mine and recommend it, more for safety reasons than convenience. The saw takes a real long time to come to a stop on its own, the brake can work as an off switch when you have both hand busy.

James Nugnes
12-26-2014, 8:59 PM
I really wish that the Laguna 12/14 had a foot brake or sort of.....If it did I am sure given their price structure it would have added some ugly number to the cost of the saw. If they made it an add on accessory I don't even want to think about what they would charge for it.

Bruce Page
12-26-2014, 9:12 PM
My MM has one but I never use it. I don't think they are necessary but it is nice to have if you ever have an emergency.

David C. Roseman
12-26-2014, 9:20 PM
Tom, I haven't missed a foot brake on my G0513X2, but I can tell you the saw takes a verrrry loooong time to coast to a stop. If you think you'll be uneasy walking away from that saw while it winds down (which you'll have to do if you want to get anything else done), I would get the foot brake and not look back. The extra $300 will be soon be a distant memory. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2014, 9:40 PM
I use the footbrake on my MM-16 regularly. I can shut the machine down without having to take my eyes off my hands or the wood I am working.

You can argue the need until the cows come home but at the end of the day, if you have any doubt in your mind, get it. As the other guy said, the extra cost will soon be forgotten.

Phil Rose
12-27-2014, 8:33 AM
I obsessed over that for a while too. In the end I decided to get the one with the foot brake and micro switch. Good decision as that saw takes a very long time to spin down. Once in a while I need to back out of a cut, and never feel safe doing so with the blade running...

Alan Lightstone
12-27-2014, 8:52 AM
I use mine regularly. Not a necessity, but quite nice and a time saver. And there is that safety issue...

Butch Spears
12-27-2014, 9:33 AM
I have the MM16 and the brake is a +++++++ especially when you get in the habit of using the brake.

Shiraz Balolia
12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Tom - get the foot brake.

I used one without and finally changed it out for one with the brake. The X2BF is the best as you have a foot pedal that has a micro switch in it that activates a motor brake that in turn makes the blade stop in about 3 seconds. That way you don't have to keep pressure on the foot pedal until the blade comes to a stop.

Randy Henry
12-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Tom - get the foot brake.

I used one without and finally changed it out for one with the brake. The X2BF is the best as you have a foot pedal that has a micro switch in it that activates a motor brake that in turn makes the blade stop in about 3 seconds. That way you don't have to keep pressure on the foot pedal until the blade comes to a stop.

This is the one I have. The foot brake and micro switch are nice. With the micro switch, when I press the off button, it shuts the saw down in about 3 seconds also, so I end up using the foot brake only about 1/2 the time. Great saw for the money.