PDA

View Full Version : small random orbit sanders

alex penner
12-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Good morning:

I was sanding a large bowl (16") made from figured western maple. It has 4 coats of tung oil on it, the first a 30% mix of tung oil and thinner, the 2nd 50%, then 70% and the last straight tung oil. I waited 24 hrs between coats and started sanding 48 hrs after the last coat. The shop temp is ~ 15 degrees C. Before applying the tung oil the bowl was sanded to 320 grit. Final finish used was the Beall system

I've usually use a drill with sanding pads attached to do most of my sanding. This leaves the usual pattern of sanding marks which i then deal with by hand sanding. Because of the size of the bowl and the added hassles of the tung oil I eventually resorted to using a 5" random orbit sander. Because of the shallow curvatures it worked really well, Saved a lot of time and it did a good job.

Has anyone seen in their travels a 2" OR 3" R O sander. It would make the smaller projects that much easier. I could not find anything on the net.

Thanks
Alex

Grant Wilkinson
12-26-2014, 12:43 PM
I have this one from metabo. It works very well on bowls.

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-SXE400-8-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B00004YBX5

If you have air, there are several small ones that do a very good job. I don't have enough air to power them, so went with this one.

alex penner
12-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks Grant. This is a perfect solution. This is also an amazing site with a great group of people. It took a whole 15 minutes to come up with the solution.

Don Bunce
12-26-2014, 1:15 PM
The Arbortech random orbital sander that fits on an angle grinder looks like it should do a good job.

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woodworking/contour-random-sander/

John M. Smith
12-26-2014, 1:35 PM
I have a Grex brand random orbit sander. Works very well for me but, I do have a five horsepower air compressor. Uses a two or there inch pad. I have always used two inch.

Doug Herzberg
12-26-2014, 4:06 PM
I have this one from HF, if you're on a budget or want to get one for each grit. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-sander-93629.html The abrasive disks that came with were worthless, but I got some good ones at Craft Supply. It has worked well for me, but like John, I have a big compressor.

Rick Fisher
12-27-2014, 5:47 AM
I have a Dynabrade 3" Random Orbit ( Pneumatic ) which has a dust collection tube on it.. It works well but uses a pile of air.

Grant Wilkinson
12-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Don: I bought the arbortech one and am not impressed so far. My bad. The big deal for me is that it uses PSA paper. I knew that when I bought it and should have thought more. I use several grits on a bowl,for example. After removing one grit and going to the next, the first one is not strong enough to stick back on again. So, it's wasted. I'm going to try gluing a hook and loop disk onto the mandrel, then I can use hook and loop paper. I would think it would work, but the arbortech people say they tried it and the paper would not hold. I'm going to try anyway, as I have nothing to lose. It will take away from the flexibility of the arbor, though.

Arbortech is now coming out with a retro-fit screw for holding the paper on. Apparently, the PSA paper has been failing. The new screw will actually poke through the paper and screw it onto the mandrel. It will likely work, but it will mean that to change grits, you'll need to remove a screw. That will not be practical for me.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-27-2014, 2:02 PM
The big deal for me is that it uses PSA paper
Why not buy a sticky pad with velcro. You can cut your own own a sheet.

Bob Mezzatesta
12-27-2014, 3:00 PM
So the Grex is $109 on Amazon.com and $210 on Amazon.ca. Sometimes it's grand to be Canadian.

Rick Fisher
12-27-2014, 4:46 PM
So the Grex is $109 on Amazon.com and $210 on Amazon.ca. Sometimes it's grand to be Canadian.

That always irritates this Canadian as well.

Grant Wilkinson
12-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Faust: That is what I meant when I said that I was going to glue some hook and loop onto the mandrel. ;)

Stan Smith
12-28-2014, 6:17 PM
@Doug. I have a PC 6hp, 26 gal compressor. I've used it for spraying and it works okay. It's not oil-less. I mostly use it with my nailers. I'm definitely interested in your suggestion but am wondering if my compressor is sufficient. I just do small stuff so it wouldn't be running continuously. I've been looking for a small ros rather than using a pad on my hand drill. I do have one of those non-powered sanders that I got from CSUSA. I watched the video and read reviews at the HF site. This may require a pressure regulator and a filter.

I do have a Bosch angle grinder and the Arbortech product looks good, too. Seems a little pricey for my limited use though.

Sorry, Alex--not trying to hijack your thread. Curious to know what you decided on. Thanks for posting your question.

Doug Herzberg
12-28-2014, 6:46 PM
@Doug. I have a PC 6hp, 26 gal compressor. I've used it for spraying and it works okay. It's not oil-less. I mostly use it with my nailers. I'm definitely interested in your suggestion but am wondering if my compressor is sufficient. I just do small stuff so it wouldn't be running continuously. I've been looking for a small ros rather than using a pad on my hand drill. I do have one of those non-powered sanders that I got from CSUSA. I watched the video and read reviews at the HF site. This may require a pressure regulator and a filter.

I do have a Bosch angle grinder and the Arbortech product looks good, too. Seems a little pricey for my limited use though.

Sorry, Alex--not trying to hijack your thread. Curious to know what you decided on. Thanks for posting your question.

Stan, the disks I got from Craft Supply were ordinary green 2" hook & loop sanding disks. If I recall, they weren't the cheapest, nor were they the most expensive. My compressor is a 6 HP 80 gallon. It cycles at about 100 psi and tops out around 150 psi. I think the pump is rated at 15 or so SCFM at 90 psi, which is where I run the sander. I haven't timed it, but I think I probably cycle the compressor after about 5 minutes of continuous use of the random orbit sander, with some time used to change grits or inspect what I've done. I also use HF angle air grinders with the exhaust at the rear, away from the work. They also use a lot of air, but on sale at around $11 each, I can have one with a 1" twist lock sanding disk, another for 2", another for 3", and more for the buffing pads and specialty sanders and rotary rasps.

The biggest issue with a compressor is the duty cycle rating of the motor. If it's 100%, you can go as long as you can stand the noise. If it's 20%, you'd have to stop and let it cool down after a few minutes use. I would guess my motor is running about half the time. Hope that helps.

Stan Smith
12-29-2014, 8:21 PM
Thanks, Doug. That really does help. My 6hp, 26 gal compressor may be marginal, but for the limited use I would do, I think it will handle that sander for a few minutes at a time for my small projects.
\
stan

Thomas Canfield
12-29-2014, 8:28 PM
When will a reasonably priced ($100 range) electric small ROS be available for turners? Everyone needs to put the work out of the need. The air ROS are out of most turners league.

Brad Simmons
12-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Grant - What size is the connection for dust collection on the Metabo? Have you used it?

Roger Chandler
12-30-2014, 10:24 AM
I ordered the Metabo unit referenced earlier in this thread.......supposed to arrive tomorrow. I noticed that the metabo discs have holes to facilitate dust collection. I am going to use Vince's discs without holes and continue to collect the dust with my dust collector intake right by the piece being sanded.......to me that just seems like a better way to control dust in the shop and keep it out of my lungs. YMMV!

I am getting this mostly to help eliminate scratches more efficiently than standard sanding pads, but I will use the interface pads from Vince as well.

Grant Wilkinson
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Brad: I just went down to measure the dust port and it is about 1 1/8" OD. When I first got the sander, I rigged up a hose to my shop vac and used the disks that came with the sander. My shop vac is old and noisy and I used that setup up once, as I recall. Since then, I use Vince's disks and they are solid. This sander does not generate a lot of dust, not at all like my angle grinder that I use for fast sanding. So, the dust factor is not an issue for me.

John Sincerbeaux
12-30-2014, 10:46 AM
No air?
I bought a Mirka CEROS 3" ROS that is exactly like an air sander but uses DC power(from a supplied converter). It is extremely quite and when paired with Mirka Abronet discs, it is virtually dustless. Like an air sander, it is low profile, light, controlled with the palm of your hand, and comfortable. I think it is the best electric ROS available(for flat and round work).
Drawback? expensive!

Brad Simmons
12-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks Grant. I would think using Vince's Abranet disks would work well with this and still allow you to use dust collection, though you would still have the noise. Thanks!

Trevor Mills
12-30-2014, 12:45 PM
No air?
I bought a Mirka CEROS 3" ROS that is exactly like an air sander but uses DC power(from a supplied converter). It is extremely quite and when paired with Mirka Abronet discs, it is virtually dustless. Like an air sander, it is low profile, light, controlled with the palm of your hand, and comfortable. I think it is the best electric ROS available(for flat and round work).
Drawback? expensive!

john, if you use the Mirka dust collector, how is it for noise? Any better than a regular shop vac?
Trevor

Grant Wilkinson
12-30-2014, 4:11 PM
That looks sweet, John. I'm not sure how well it would fit into the interior of a bowl, but it looks very fine. At over $500 Cdn, it's out of my snack bracket.

Stan Smith
12-30-2014, 4:23 PM
Read somewhere that you need an 80 gal compressor to run the HF air powered one. Guess I'll pass on that since I only have a 26 gal compressor. I put the Metabo on my amazon wish list for now since I just ordered the EWT easy chuck & jaws from CSUSA. I can see using the Metabo ros for projects other than turning, too. So many tools, so little money.. tisk, tisk..

Vince Welch
12-31-2014, 2:43 AM
Just a quick note if ever anyone need some sanding discs samples please let me know what size and I will be happy to send them to you.

Thanks, Vince

Grant Wilkinson
12-31-2014, 10:39 AM
I'd take you up on that, Vince, but I'm pretty sure that I've received my quota of samples from you over the years. :) As a note to others in this discussion, IMNSHO, Vince is the best, bar none.

Eric Gourieux
12-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I ordered the Metabo unit referenced earlier in this thread.......supposed to arrive tomorrow. I noticed that the metabo discs have holes to facilitate dust collection. I am going to use Vince's discs without holes and continue to collect the dust with my dust collector intake right by the piece being sanded.......to me that just seems like a better way to control dust in the shop and keep it out of my lungs. YMMV!

I am getting this mostly to help eliminate scratches more efficiently than standard sanding pads, but I will use the interface pads from Vince as well.

Roger,
I recently used my metabo for the first time and almost burned up the shop. Well, not really, but I did melt the Velcro pad off of the Metabo interface pad. I was using Vinces blue disc (maybe 100 grit?) WITHOUT any holes. I've done a lot of power sanding with various drills and have never had this happen. I'm wondering that, since it is random orbiting, if it needs the holes for circulation/cooling of the disc? Just a heads-up. If you start without holes in the sanding discs, monitor the temp of the disc. I'll be interested in hearing what you experience.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2014, 11:35 AM
I had a communication with Vince this morning and he stated for lower grits like 80-120 it is better to use a drill as they cut away tool marks & rough grain. He said use the metabo with a radius interface pad added and not just the metabo pad supplied because it will foul by itself. The upper grits are for your best surface so use the Metabo on these.

Stan Smith
12-31-2014, 11:47 AM
When will a reasonably priced ($100 range) electric small ROS be available for turners? Everyone needs to put the work out of the need. The air ROS are out of most turners league.

Tom. The Metabo is $125 on Amazon the last time I checked. I put it on my wishlist.

Stan Smith
12-31-2014, 11:59 AM
i've had a Fein vacuum for at least 12 years. I can plug in my smaller power tools ( SCMS, disk sander, ROS, etc.) to it and have it come on via the power switch on the tool. I've bought some rubber coupler fittings on Amazon for hooking up to various tools. If the hose coupler and tool port do not match, you can slightly slit the rubber coupler, fit it, and use electricians tape on the coupler to hold the fitted opening. I get mine at HF 5 rolls for a buck. The Fein vac is not quiet but it's not anywhere near as loud as my DC.

stan

Grant Wilkinson
01-01-2015, 10:24 AM
I've been using my Metabo for a few years now with non-hole disks, and I've never had a heating problem. I only use it for higher grits, though, so maybe that's the secret. For me, it is a finishing tool, so I don't think I've ever used anything coarser than 220 on it. Maybe the key to using it for course paper would be to go to abranet mesh disks.

I don't use it with the lathe turning, either, so maybe that's another factor in it staying cool??