PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617 EVSPK - using Bosch 1618 D handle base?

Jay Yoder
12-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Merry day after Christmas everyone! Hope the day was enjoyable and spent with loved ones. The LOML got me the Rockler dovetail jig with dust collection. As I am planning to get some play time in on it soon, I know that alot of folks use two routers to make the process easier. I currently have a 1617 set about 7 years old and found that I can buy a Bosch D-handle base online. I am planning on getting another Bosch 1617 (maybe 1618). I like the idea of having the trigger for use with the jig. The description of the base explicitly states that it is not for the 1617 because of the motor cable length. Has anyone used this base with their 1617 router? I would imagine the motor is same as one I have but with shorter cable to plug into the top of the D-handle base. Another option would be shortening the current router cord. Any thoughts/suggestions? I appreciate the input!

pat warner
12-26-2014, 10:25 AM
A long wire on a dee handle is not desireable, to be sure. Bosch is right.
Have used the short wired dee handle motor on the 1166, however, and that I like, (very easy to store).
And another contrarian note: Whilst the trigger in hand may seem convenient, there is a downside.
Due to its moment (pivot point) the dee handled routers are relatively unwieldy, impossible to control around outside corners and edge guide use is folly.

Larry Edgerton
12-27-2014, 7:24 AM
I have an old Rockwell D handle. It has a second handle on the base that helps but it is a bit unwieldy in some situations. I don't use it often, but if I have a large run I do find it much easier on old hands. Never tried it on a dovetail jig but would miss the "feel" I would guess. It would be hard to know what the bit is doing with your hands not being in opposing positions.

Peter Quinn
12-27-2014, 7:47 AM
I'm with Pat and Larry, the d handle looks better on paper than in reality. I've used one a lot for a simple edge forming operation where the trigger was more important than the balance issue due to the start and stop nature of the task. But in most other case I find them harder to control. As a right hander I pull the trigger with my right hand, feeding left to right that makes the large handle off the work for most things, makes the router want to tip. Your hands and the fulcrum just always seem to be too high up for control. I tried using the left hand on trigger, not so comfortable. I really like the Bosch MRF23 series with the trigger in the handle, you get the balance of a typical fixed base two handle router but the trigger in the handle functionality. Bit more $$$ but for short time I used one seemed like a good unit.

I brought in a large plunge router recently to work to get through a complicated job, one coworker had never used a proper plunge router and the feature he found most valuable was the trigger in the handle. It's just more logical than letting go of the router with one hand to turn it on and off for many operations. Wish more router had that feature.

Larry Edgerton
12-27-2014, 9:17 AM
Come to think of it my 3 1/4 hp PC plunge feels better than my small d handle. I think it may be the hands in exact opposite positions. Easier to read maybe?

Mike Henderson
12-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a D handle Bosch and like it. I like not having to let go of one hand to turn the router on.

Mike