PDA

View Full Version : Osborne EB3 Miter Gauge

Carlos Cabrera
07-20-2005, 3:43 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this Osborne EB3 Miter gauge ?? I am thinking about buying one.

Thanks,
Carlos

http://www.newyankee.com/tool_photos/EB-3.gif

Bruce Overholt
07-20-2005, 4:22 PM
I bought one and really like it. I bought it to replace the standard protractor type that came with my Grizzy cabinet saw. The EB-3 acts like a sort of crosscut/miter sled in that it gives more support to the work piece, than a protractor would.Bruce

Andrew Ault
07-20-2005, 4:33 PM
I have had one for about a year. It works really well and is accurate. I like the flip stop and adjustable length. The width of the miter slot bar is slightly adjustable via tapered screws that force the bar to bulge at a few locations. It is well made and seems to be durable.

I use a shop-made sled often, but use the Osborne when the sled is not appropriate.

Recomended.

-Andy

John Dingman
07-20-2005, 4:41 PM
I have one and I love it! (A photo for the pic Police :D )

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Finished%20Shop%20Table%20Saw.jpg

It's everything the other folks said it is. It's pretty durable too.

hth,
John

Joe Unni
07-20-2005, 6:05 PM
You might want to look at the WoodHaven (really love it) miter gauge and its associated accessories. I've had the gauge for a while and just today I ordered several accessories for it. I probably should have ordered one of their packages when I ordered the gauge itself - I bet I would have saved some money.

Anyways..

Good luck,
-joe

Tom Pritchard
07-20-2005, 6:06 PM
I bought one and had trouble with it. They replaced it with another one and that one had accuracy problems. I gave it to a friend of mine for parts and bought a Woodhaven gauge. I love the Woodhaven!

Woodhaven (http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1466)

Norman Hitt
07-20-2005, 6:23 PM
How Long have you had your EB-3's? I was getting close to buying one when they sold out to one of the Canadian co's and then they started having all kinds of problems with their manufacturing process, so I held off. I figured they would eventually get their problems worked out since the earlier ones got very good reviews, but the new Co's customer svc didn't seem to be much help at the time. I still want one, but I also want to be sure that the ones they are delivering now have had the problems taken care of and the quality is back up to the original standards.

Thanks for any information you might have in this respect.

John Dingman
07-20-2005, 6:31 PM
How Long have you had your EB-3's? I was getting close to buying one when they sold out to one of the Canadian co's and then they started having all kinds of problems with their manufacturing process, so I held off. I figured they would eventually get their problems worked out since the earlier ones got very good reviews, but the new Co's customer svc didn't seem to be much help at the time. I still want one, but I also want to be sure that the ones they are delivering now have had the problems taken care of and the quality is back up to the original standards.

Thanks for any information you might have in this respect.I've had mine for almost 2 years.

John

Andrew Ault
07-20-2005, 6:35 PM
How Long have you had your EB-3's?

I purchased mine in January 2003...just looked it up in Amazon history.

Stealth gloat: I just bought a used Unisaw to put under it. Can't wait to get it into my shop so my miter guage will look like John's!

-Andy

Bruce Overholt
07-20-2005, 6:42 PM
I've had mine for about 9 Months. I bought it through Amazon.com. The first one was broken is shipment. One of the finger nuts was broken and appeared to be plastic. My replacement was fine. I took it apart and found that the questionable piece was different (Metal) than the first one. As far as accuracy goes the concentric pivot screw can be a bit hard to adjust. It takes just a little bit of movement to make an adjustment.
Since I bought mine, I see that Dewalt has produced a Clone http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5187&refcode=06INOSMX

Bruce

Norman Hitt
07-20-2005, 7:16 PM
I've had mine for about 9 Months. I bought it through Amazon.com. The first one was broken is shipment. One of the finger nuts was broken and appeared to be plastic. My replacement was fine. I took it apart and found that the questionable piece was different (Metal) than the first one. As far as accuracy goes the concentric pivot screw can be a bit hard to adjust. It takes just a little bit of movement to make an adjustment.
Since I bought mine, I see that Dewalt has produced a Clone

Bruce

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like John's and Andrew's were purchased "BEFORE" the problems started showing up IIRC, but yours must have been made after that. It's interesting that you should mention the DeWalt clone, (I was thinking it was Delta, but maybe that's just CRS kicking in, :D ), as I saw a pic of one "ONE TIME" in a catalogue or ad, and made a post about it, but got no replies, then when I went back to look for it, couldn't find it, and kinda forgot about it since I never saw it show up again. Where did you see it?

John Strait
07-20-2005, 8:04 PM
I don't think the fence on the Dewalt has an extension that slides out on it. I have an EB3 that I purchased last December. It had a little "slop" in the stop for each of the miter adjustments. One phone call to the company had a replacement part within a week. The "slop" was not great, but I was not satisfied and they fixed it. I also have an Incra 1000se and seem to always reach for the Osborne, but can not say that I favor one over the other for any particular reason.

John

Bruce Overholt
07-20-2005, 8:53 PM
I have never actually seen or touched the Dewalt clone. I just came across it while shopping on the internet. As to the slop in the EB-3, I just keep the detent pin pressed while I lock it down.

Bruce

scott spencer
07-20-2005, 8:56 PM
I'm the lucky friend who received Tom's faulty EB-3, and have mounted it in a crosscut sled. It's great at 90, but is off when angled in either direction. It's a nice gauge with a nice fence that I'm able to get some use out of, but his Woodhaven looks bulletproof compared to the Osborne. The EB-3 is alot more complex...there's much less that can go wrong with the Woodhaven.

John Strait
07-20-2005, 8:59 PM
I have never actually seen or touched the Dewalt clone. I just came across it while shopping on the internet. As to the slop in the EB-3, I just keep the detent pin pressed while I lock it down.

Bruce

Bruce,

It was the assembly the detent pin was included on that needed replaced. It had enough slop that you could be off a degree or two with the pin engaged.

John

Keith Christopher
07-21-2005, 1:43 PM
I've had mine for about a year now and I love it ! I made a gloat post here about it. I love the extensable arm for long stock. Mine was dead on out of the box. I still keep my old gauge for certain things but 90% of the time the EB3 is on my saw.

Keith

Adam Howard
07-21-2005, 2:59 PM
I have had the DeWalt clone for about 9 months. It came with the DW746 sliding table I purchased.

Initially I liked it alot, but soon discovered that it was highly inaccurate. When it's set to 90 degrees, the 45's are off. If I adjust it to be dead on 45 (by testing miter cuts in a square), the other 45 is off.

It was definitely unacceptable for cutting accurate miters.

I was blessed with a kickback accident that bent the fence a bit. That was a good excuse, so I bought the new JessEM miter gauge and I'm pleased so far. It's much more robust.

Joe Meazle
07-21-2005, 3:42 PM
I have had the EB3 for a couple of years and now have the Dewalt tha cam ewith my sliding table. I love them both. thought about selling one but just couldn't bring myself to do it. The dewalt has a cool clamp built in and the EB3 has a cool extension.

Joe

Paul Dwight
07-21-2005, 6:53 PM
I also have the DeWalt clone that came with their sliding table. Mine has a little play in the mechanism that allows the fence to pivot. I have not found a way to adjust it to eliminate the slop. The only way I can get precise, repeatable results is if I grip the miter gauge at exactly the same place when I push the sliding table trough the cut. I don't trust the DeWalt gauge and don't use it much anymore. It does have a nice stock clamp, though. -- Paul

Derek Arita
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Thought I was having trouble with accurate cuts on my EB3 until I realized that I hadn't installed the "sandpaper" face on the fence. Once I did that, the problems disappeared. Now, I love it.