PDA

View Full Version : So What Woodworking Related Gift(s) Did You Receive?

Ken Frohnert
12-25-2014, 7:50 AM
As a tool/woodworking nut ;) - I would be interested in knowing what woodworking related gifts other members received today? Please share - pictures of woodworking stuff are always great. :D

Everyone is still asleep here (I love the early AM quiet on Christmas) - but I did get my self a Wixey Type 2 with the $10 off $25 at WC picked it up yesterday. My first digital angle gauge and it uses 1 standard AAA battery.

Ronald Cockerham
12-25-2014, 7:59 AM
Nobody up yet here either. But I'm looking at the wrapped box with my Wixey planer scale for my 20" Grizz planer.

Ellery Becnel
12-25-2014, 8:03 AM
I got a Veritas Bevel-up Smother Plane, with the PM-V11 Blade, and the A2 Toothed Blade. My wife told me that I was so easy to shop for!
Merry Christmas everyone!

Ellery Becnel

Larry Edgerton
12-25-2014, 8:21 AM
Brake controller for my new truck so when I am hauling a load of wood to the shop I don't crash and die......

Justin Ludwig
12-25-2014, 8:25 AM
Starrett dial caliper.

Scott Cenicola
12-25-2014, 8:37 AM
Portable air conditioner for garage shop. It's always hot in Tampa! Garage ceiling/attic getting insulated next week. Merry Christmas to all!

Matthew Hills
12-25-2014, 9:00 AM
Brake controller for my new truck so when I am hauling a load of wood to the shop I don't crash and die......
Good gift -- much better than a bump in the life insurance policy...

Matt

Ken Frohnert
12-25-2014, 9:02 AM
:cool:

merry christmas

Ken Frohnert
12-25-2014, 9:03 AM
Cool Gift!

Portable air conditioner for garage shop. It's always hot in Tampa! Garage ceiling/attic getting insulated next week. Merry Christmas to all!

ken masoumi
12-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Got a left blade circular saw Bosch CS5.
Merry Christmas to you all.

Ken Kimbrell
12-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Gift card for the BORG. :)

Kent A Bathurst
12-25-2014, 11:43 AM
A new hip. All WW activities had been suspended for the past few months, because the OEM version could not take it. Looking forward to restart in a few weeks, give-or-take.

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!!

From a couple friends I received CU Woodshop gift certificates (Rockler store plus a cool school and dream shop coop about 40 miles from here). Thinking those will become the Festool Boom setup maybe if they can match the Hartville price. http://www.cuwoodshop.com/ - check out that school and dreamshop idea! If I lived in an apt without my own shop I would buy into that immediately!

Also my mother in law got me a sweet 100' Goodyear yellow 1/2" Air Hose with 1/2" NPT fittings for the AeroMotiv Retractable air reel that is going in the ceiling of new shed.

Joe Bradshaw
12-25-2014, 12:20 PM
I got myself a DeWalt 735 planer. The stand arrives next week. Now, I have to move my old Delta Invicta out.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-25-2014, 1:29 PM
Brake controller for my new truck so when I am hauling a load of wood to the shop I don't crash and die...... now there's a present that keeps giving.

Rick Potter
12-25-2014, 1:39 PM
I got a sheet of 1/4" melamine for drawer bottoms. This is for the glass fronted drawers in the kitchen, where the beans, etc are stored.

While there, I found that my local purveyor of plywood now has a large display of Festool equipment.

Must continue to resist..........

Brett Luna
12-25-2014, 2:57 PM
The wife stuffed a pair of 4" F clamps and a Lowe's gift card in my stocking. Under the tree, I found a Lee Valley gift card and a DeWalt track saw.

roger rylie
12-25-2014, 3:03 PM
I got a Kreg DB 210 pocket hole machine. Still in the box though. Have to work.

Ken Frohnert
12-25-2014, 3:07 PM
said the BORG in Star Trek Next Generation. Guess maybe they saw some Festool equipment up there.

I got a sheet of 1/4" melamine for drawer bottoms. This is for the glass fronted drawers in the kitchen, where the beans, etc are stored.

While there, I found that my local purveyor of plywood now has a large display of Festool equipment.

Must continue to resist..........

paul cottingham
12-25-2014, 3:20 PM
1/4", 1/2", 3/4" pmv11 chisels, round bottom spokeshave, compass, beam compass. Courtesy of my (now ex) router table, 2 routers and a bunch of bits. They are the nicest chisels I have ever used, and I love the steel. And no expenditure! I picked em up, my wife wrapped them, and a merry Christmas was had by all.

Peter Kelly
12-25-2014, 3:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Z97KHGM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xOgbYQ2.jpg

Shawn Pixley
12-25-2014, 5:28 PM
My wife gave me Urushi & tools we picked up in October.

I also got a book of Japanese house construction.

I got LOML a 20 Ton metal press. Now I need to build a stand for it (after assembling it of course).

Plenty to do this afternoon...(after my annual Christmas dip in the ocean).

John A langley
12-25-2014, 5:50 PM
Peter one for Shop and one for after the shop I hope

Joe Arcimboldo
12-25-2014, 7:39 PM
My wife came out to the shop not long ago and saw how the nitrile gloves I wear often tear easily after just a little use.
She was at the hospital last week (she's a midwife) and found some fitted orthopedic surgery gloves that were about to expire.
The floor manager told her that they would just throw them out, so she got me like ten pair.
They are much tougher, more fitted, and have this cool texture on the surface that will make them great for the shop.

Peter Quinn
12-25-2014, 9:51 PM
I got a dremel! I've wanted one for a while, I'm thrilled. And a hole saw kit. Not much need for straight wood working tools at this point. When I want it to feel like Christmas I go rifling through some cabinets in the shop and find the tools I forgot I even owned....then I hold them lovingly and place them back in the cabinet until I either need them or forget I own them again....repeat cycle!

Merry Christmas to all!

James Baker SD
12-25-2014, 10:11 PM
The Veritas shooting guide track to use in making a shooting board for the Veritas Shooting plane I got for birthday this year.

Pete Janke
12-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Veritas Saddle square; 12v LI right angle impact driver; stubby drill bits for the driver. Merry Christmas.

Dan Rude
12-26-2014, 12:19 AM
I got the m18 4ah, m18 led work lamp, 2 m12 3ah, K-5 jig from Rockler and a Rockler 10" Freud cross cut full kerf blade. The only disappointment was my Ryobi phone works, they don't have the app yet for my Droid Razor max. Back to HD tomorrow. My oldest the Xbox one, youngest Lego Mindstorm kit, middle daughter crafting supplies and Breyer Horses. I have a lot to learn. Dan PS: Friday off complements of the President ��

James A. Brown
12-26-2014, 8:28 AM
I allready had the Grizzley 10" low speed water bath grinder/sharpener now I have the attachment for sharpening planer blades. Jim.

Dave Cullen
12-26-2014, 10:56 AM
A Wolverine vari-grind jig for sharpening my turning gouges, and a couple of nice pieces of purpleheart (my brother took a trip to Woodcraft).

John A langley
12-26-2014, 10:59 AM
A picture is worth 1000 words

Eric D Matson
12-26-2014, 11:32 AM
I received a grr ripper. I hadn't don't very much research on it but after watching the video it looking like it would work pretty good.

Kent A Bathurst
12-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I got LOML a 20 Ton metal press. Now I need to build a stand for it (after assembling it of course).

Shawn - I remember not too long ago, you were looking to score one of these used via Classifieds posting.

I remember thinking at that time, and am going to ask you now:

:confused: :confused: She - SHE - needs a 20-ton press. Care to fill in the obvious gaps for me? Must be one impressive lady - that part I can figure out from the peanut gallery. But, still........what in the sam hill.........:confused:

Michael Yadfar
12-26-2014, 1:00 PM
I got a Ryobi Plunge Router, router bits, and cheap tool set. I already have a good selection of USA made hand tools, but I often find myself working in multiple locations at once so it's nice to have another set. The router is all I needed to complete my shop so that was a nice gift. Not my first choice of router, but pretty darn good for a gift!

Kim Gibbens
12-26-2014, 1:34 PM
A Hock blade and cap iron for my 604.

Phil Barrett
12-26-2014, 2:02 PM
My fantastic keeper of a wife gave me an Incra LS17. Of course, it took a little "hinting". Now I just have to mod my router table (or build a new one) for it.

Lori Kleinberg
12-26-2014, 6:31 PM
For Hanukkah, I got a Lee Valley Dovetail saw and a HD gift card. For Christmas I got a AAW turning smock, "Turn a Bowl" with Ernie Conover and a Rockler gift card.

Jim Andrew
12-26-2014, 6:38 PM
Menards had a great sale on the heavy duty F clamps. So I bought a bunch. My rack is full. Had to move the C clamps.

Moses Yoder
12-27-2014, 6:15 AM
My favorite gift this year was a $25 gift certificate to Subway. I have yet to start using it, maybe today I will. This is directly related to woodworking; can't do anything without eating.

Mark W Pugh
12-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Still on the road, hoping for the best. Actually, I know I got the big Craftsman tap and die set. It had an EXTREMELY big discount. Now I can make threads in wood.

fred everett
12-27-2014, 11:08 AM
My family bought me the items off my Amazon wish list. Things like a 4" dust port, router bit guard, t-slot track and feathers boards etc. Funny part was when I unwrapped the gifts everyone in the room said...."Fred, what the hell that is that thing?"

Charles Lent
12-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I got an M Power CRB7 router jig with all the options. I took it out of the box and made sure it was complete, and with no damage, but it will be a few days before I can try it.

Charley

Brett Luna
12-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Update: it's the darnedest thing...that Lee Valley gift card my wife gave me turned into a Veritas large shoulder plane. Must be one of those Christmas miracles I keep hearing about.

Ralph Butts
12-27-2014, 3:29 PM
I was a really good boy this year.

Jay Jolliffe
12-27-2014, 4:01 PM
I replaced a Stabila 4' level that was stolen from my shop when the lumberyard delivery person either dropped something off or was picking up a return....He got busted after that with a whole apartment full of stuff he stole over time. I heard he even stole enough PT & Trex decking to build a huge deck... He also took some kind of Stainless steel bracket's or fasteners that were worth 1,200.00 the owner of the lumber yard told me. You never know about people....I am never surprised when I hear stuff like this.

Brad Swanson
12-27-2014, 6:12 PM
I had a veri Veritas Christmas. Router plane and fence, marking knife, bevel angle, small square, and woodworking apron, all from Lee Valley.

Phil Thien
12-27-2014, 6:16 PM
I was a really good boy this year.

You must have an enormous chimney.

(That thing is awesome.)

Kevin Sweet
12-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Veritas dovetail saw, Shapton #2000 and #5000 stones, and using a gift card to get the Veritas honing guide. As excited as I was about those gifts, I was blown away by my wife surprising me with a massive fully decked out gun safe. Never even dropped a hint on that one.

Garth Almgren
12-28-2014, 1:56 AM
Let's see - I got a Kreg K4, a copy of Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book, and in my stocking I got some cool blocks for the bandsaw and a gift certificate to Martin Lumber & Hardware in Everett, WA.

Brian Henderson
12-28-2014, 2:11 AM
I honestly don't get anything woodworking related because I don't ask for it. My one woodworking gift used to be a subscription to Fine Woodworking every year but I finally gave that up. Anything I want to buy, I buy for myself, I don't rely on others to buy it for me.

Mike Cozad
12-28-2014, 6:20 AM
Couple of things. I have yet to add a furnace for the winter time so I have been using a propane torpedo heater. It's loud and buying propane for my 30# bottles is a challenge in my town with the hours the few places are open. My wife and boys got me a kerosene/diesel heater that is quiet and fuel is easy to get.

They also got me a Vika workbench/scaffold.

Peter Quinn
12-28-2014, 7:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Z97KHGM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xOgbYQ2.jpg

You must have been particularly good this year! Santa has very good taste in bourbon!

Josh Morgan
12-28-2014, 9:30 AM
I got two of the GRR-ripper's and a copy of The Woodbook.

Ted Calver
12-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Mrs Clause was very generous this year. Her way of thanking me for being naughty:

Ralph Butts
12-28-2014, 11:53 AM
ROFLMAO
Thanks Phil. The chimney just had to suffer. Santa totally outdid herself!

Vince Shriver
12-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Mrs Clause was very generous this year. Her way of thanking me for being naughty:

Nice stuff there, and an even better reason for having received it. Very funny!

Michael Stockdale
12-29-2014, 12:34 AM
I got a full set of three Lee Valley spokeshaves with a tool roll for storage... Very nice stuff!

Dale Murray
12-29-2014, 1:20 PM
My wife, knowing I intend to build my hand tool bench this winter, bought me a Veritas Twin Screw vise.

Keith Hankins
12-29-2014, 1:35 PM
Incra 5000 sled.

Kent A Bathurst
12-29-2014, 2:17 PM
I got an M Power CRB7 router jig with all the options. I took it out of the box and made sure it was complete, and with no damage, but it will be a few days before I can try it.

Charley

That's a new on on me, Charles. Looks very intriguing. Gotta keep it in mind for when I hit some future project that it matches up with. My approach has been to grab some MDF or 1/2" ply, some scrap wood, and a nail gun and make a one-off. This might be the provebial "better mousetrap".

Thanks

Kent

Kent A Bathurst
12-29-2014, 2:22 PM
I had a veri Veritas Christmas. Router plane and fence, marking knife, bevel angle, small square, and woodworking apron, all from Lee Valley.

OK - in the classifications of "Biggest Immediate Bang for the Buck" and also "Percentage of Shop Time Spent in Use" I gotta give the nod to Brad for 2014. The apron thing - I just don't get that - use it for grilling steaks or sumpin'??? But the rest of the haul is spot-on.

Doug Richardson
12-29-2014, 2:42 PM
Some Bessy clamps and a Drill Doctor.....

Rick Gibson
12-29-2014, 2:48 PM
Worksharp 3000 along with extra sharpening plates and sandpaper. Wife got her ring a couple weeks early as it had to be sized so she gave me mine early, By Christmas morning I had the cuts in my fingers from some really sharp chisels that used to be my grandfathers to prove it works well.

Doug Ladendorf
12-29-2014, 6:53 PM
I got a Uvex Bionic face mask for turning. It's nicer than the one I have and now my daughter or son and I can both have a face mask on when I'm teaching them. Also got a nice set of Wera screwdrivers.

The apron thing - it's awesome when you are in the zone. When I have a good chunk of time and have my Duluth apron on it helps keep the flow going. Less searching for stuff and walking across the shop to fetch something. Just wish I had more of that time.

Myk Rian
12-29-2014, 7:07 PM
A sign that says "Warning. Don't even think of touching my tools".

Bill Neely
12-29-2014, 7:40 PM
Tenryu Gold Medal full kerf

Charles Lent
12-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Kent,

I asked for the CRB7 MK3 ( I even ordered it from Infinity for her) because Mrs Santa wanted to get me a "woodworking tool" and I didn't want her getting me a useless piece of junk. I have used a friend's CRB7 and I liked it. I think it's one of the better multi purpose router jigs on the market. The 7 in the name is for the original seven uses that it has, but they have added 2 more since the original design (maybe it should now be called a CRB9 ?). The latest model is the CRB7 MK3. I have just about everything else that I need or want in my shop and the CRB7 just seemed to be the only tool accessory that I liked that I didn't already have in the less than $150 category. To watch the video go to http://www.m-powertools.com/CRB7-MK3-combination-router-base.htm , but be careful. It tugs at your wallet.

Charley

Kent A Bathurst
12-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Oh, yeash - I already watched the video. Looks nice, Charley.

Kent A Bathurst
12-30-2014, 10:09 AM
A sign that says "Warning. Don't even think of touching my tools".

Here is the "Don't Do This" version:

Some years back, for Christmas, I got one of those 12" plastic toolboxes. Bought all-new, top-of-the-line Craftsman - screwdrivers, pliers, needle-nose, dikes, small hammer, tape, adjust wrenches, carton knife, other stuff.

That was one of the presents for LOML. Told her: "This will save you a lot of time. Keep this in the kitchen, you won't have to waste time going to get someting from my shop. And - you won't have to waste time taking it back - - not that we've seen much of that going on."

I can tell you the stategy was sound, but the tactics could have been better. Actually, the tactics could not have been worse. It worked, but there was a price to pay.

John A langley
12-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Kent did the same thing no I better not touch any of her tools

Rick Potter
12-30-2014, 1:45 PM
Dang it Charles,

Why did you have to post that video. That thing really looks practical.

Erik Loza
12-30-2014, 1:47 PM
My wife got me a wristwatch made of wood. Pretty cool and stylish, actually. The box states "walnut" but it appears to be Acacia to me.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Brian Henderson
12-30-2014, 2:49 PM
Kent did the same thing no I better not touch any of her tools

My wife won't touch any tools at all, if she needs a screw tightened, she waits for me to do it. Nobody touches my tools because nobody has a clue how to use any of them.

Justin Coon
12-30-2014, 7:07 PM
My wife must have got my Woodworking Wish List out of the notes on my phone and distributed it to my family...I got a Freud 8" Dado Set, a Veritas Mk II sharpening jig, an LV Dovetail saw, a Grrripper, and other assorted small items.

John McBride
12-30-2014, 8:06 PM
OK, so I'm late to the party, but I got a 4"-6" and 12" PEC combo square from the love of my life, and.......a fairly cherry Inca 510 from...well me mostly, but with her enthusiastic encouragement. Add to that I am finally adding some alphabet soup to the end of my Nam via Red Rocks Community College. I begin classes in their fine woodworking program in a couple of weeks.

My birthday is on Ground hogs day, so hoping for a table saw and some electrical work in my little brick slice 'o heaven....wheeeeeee

Happy new year to all!!!!

Jim Laumann
01-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Another late post....

Not a wood working tool per se, but a handy to have one when you need it - namely a 48" Hi-Lift Jack, courtesey of #1 son.

Wifelet got me a 23 ga. pinner

Bud Ackerman
01-02-2015, 12:56 AM
LOMF bought me a Jet Disk sander with legs and DC. I'm a lucky guy

John McBride
01-02-2015, 11:28 AM
OK, another addition to the shop, potentially. I still need to nail down particulars. But there is/may be both a very vintage Craftsman 113 series (circa 1955 ish) table saw, AND a General International contractor saw (with solid cast iron wings and 52" biesemeyer fence) coming to me via CL and LOML......when it rains, it pours.......hee...hee!