PDA

View Full Version : Did Lie-Nielsen quit packing their planes in sealed plastic bags?

John Stankus
12-25-2014, 1:02 AM
Did Lie-Nielsen quit shipping their planes in sealed blue plastic bags or did highland hardware sell me a return or a demonstrator as new?
I thought LN packed everything in the blue rust inhibitor bags. My wife bought me a 4 1/2 for Christmas that was just wrapped in newsprint and a paper rust sheet. This is not how I remember the block plane I bought be packed, but that was a number of years ago. I need to look at it more closely to see if the brownish tint in some places is rust or just the packing oil dis coloring. I really don't know why this is bugging me so much. Maybe since I watched the Cosman Woodcraft video where he set up a 4 1/2 where he cuts the plane out of the blue bag, or maybe since I have been hemming and hawing on this plane for years trying to justify the cost.
The other weird thing was that it was shipped in a food company box(outer box, inner was LN box)

John. Who wishes he knew why this is bugging him so much :confused:

Randy Karst
12-25-2014, 1:11 AM
Hey John,

Merry Christmas! All of the LN's tools I have purchased whether from LN direct or a dealer have been packaged in brown paper with a paper rust sheet, so that's been for few years now.

Tony Zaffuto
12-25-2014, 7:58 AM
All have mine have been (wife has been working her way through the LN catalog for over a decade now), except for one. That one was a 60-1/2 block plane, ordered through WC. No blue plastic, but rust ban paper wrap, that had been on and off. There were also a few spots of beginning rust, like someone had sneezed on the plane.

Everything else was typical of LN quality and since I use my plane, about five minutes of 2000 grit Sc paper took off the spots and left a nicer shine. I didn't bother contacting WC or LN, but I did suspect the place had been a demo. Further, as my wife bought it for me as a present, I had no idea of any deal she may have worked out on the phone when ordering.

Paul McGaha
12-25-2014, 8:54 AM
Over the years I think some of mine have had the blue plastic bag and some haven't.

I just opened a #5 this morning that didn't. Just wrapped in the paper.

Merry Christmas everyone.

PHM

bob blakeborough
12-25-2014, 12:28 PM
My No.3 came in paper with no bag a couple years ago...

Shawn Pixley
12-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Mine have been wrapped in the rust preventing brown paper. I never knew some came in a plastic wrap.

John Stankus
12-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Finally got a chance to try out the 4 1/2 yesterday. Easily made a mahogony shaving about one thousandth thick. I guess the bags are hit or miss, but my new plane does quite nicely. I guess not being able to try it out right away made me cranky. (Sorry about that). I guess that's why a box of shop time is always on my wish list :)

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all

John

Chris Hachet
12-30-2014, 8:49 AM
At least you didn't have to spring for a grand for the bronze 4 1\2 plane. Mine have been in paper as well.

Chris

Ryan Baker
12-30-2014, 7:25 PM
My LN planes have all been in paper. LV planes come in the blue bags. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.