PDA

View Full Version : Question for the guitar players/builders

Mike Cozad
12-24-2014, 11:42 PM
I have seen some amazing pics from the luthiers here and have been amazed at the quality and obvious talent and skill. Because of the work I have seen I'm sure I'm in the right place to ask a couple of questions. My youngest boy is a self taught bass player. He's gotten rather good so my oldest bought him a new 5 string bass for Christmas. As it turns out the oldest wants to learn to play a regular guitar so my youngest bought him a starter guitar to learn on. All of that to get to my questions....

Due to the shape of the axe, a stand seems impractical. I have seen pics here of them hanging from the neck. This neck looks problematic from the shape. Based on the pics below what's the best way to stand/hang one of this shape?

Thanks for any help...

302669 302670

Scott Hackler
12-25-2014, 12:34 AM
They sell guitar hangers that screw to the wall that will work easily for that guitar. (nothing different or special for the hanger, just a standard hanger)

Malcolm Schweizer
12-25-2014, 2:40 AM
You want a "string swing." Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-CC01K-Hardwood-Studio/dp/B0002GLCRC

Jim Matthews
12-25-2014, 8:56 AM
Hawaiian "gun rack" gets my vote.

Shawn Pixley
12-25-2014, 12:33 PM
A friend of my son has that guitar. It works in either a wall hanger or on a good stand with a pivoting bottom. I would hang it myself. Guitars on the ground are in peril around kids.

John Coloccia
12-25-2014, 1:01 PM
IMHO, if it's not too late, I would return it and get a much more traditional shape guitar to learn with. He won't even be able to sit down and play that thing. It's not a bad guitar, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a beginner.

Mike Cozad
12-25-2014, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

John, one thing about my oldest boy is he MUST do everything the hard way. So even if I suggested it, there is zero chance he's taking that advice, lol...

Thanks again,
Mike