PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted panel clamp system

David Ragan
12-24-2014, 4:23 PM
Anyone have advise for the above? My shop is small and the current struggle with bench top glue/clamp/move, repeat is getting old. Have some recently acquired wall space. Most panels I do are at most 3ft by 4 feet. Nothing gigantic.

J.R. Rutter
12-24-2014, 8:12 PM
I had Plano clamps for years. They worked pretty well if you took some care in getting edges aligned before tightening.

richard poitras
12-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Google "Hawk’s Vertical Clamping System" they used to make a wall mounted clamping system that you can make your self with pipe clamps. I know a guy who has one and they work pretty well.

If you Google it you will see pictures of what I am talking about...

http://toolmonger.com/2007/12/05/save-space-with-hawks-vertical-clamping-system/

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/wall-mounted-plywood-panel-press/

Pat Barry
12-25-2014, 10:36 AM
I think it would be clumsy to try and do a panel glue-up that way and for me, a guy with propensity to use extra glue, just to be sure, the glue drips would go right on to the face of the panels. Just my 2c. Now, if you were to hinge it to the wall somehow and still be able to assemble everything laying flat ...

Dave Richards
12-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Like Pat, I prefer to at least do the glue up with the clamps laid out horizontally. Generally, after getting the clamps tightened I take the assembly and stand it up in a corner so I can do another or use the space for something else. It would be easy to make a bracket mounted on the wall from which the clamped up arrangement could hang.

Bill Ryall
12-25-2014, 1:58 PM
Wall mouted clamp system using a few dollars in lumber and hardware along with some pipe clamps. Using existing clamps, I have less than $20 invested in this, and it will be among the first pieces done when my shop is relocated.

(not my image)
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/ryallworks/F25D9835-3DB8-4239-B156-ADA612C53E70.jpg

Keith Weber
12-25-2014, 6:20 PM
Bill, that's a pretty slick idea, but isn't a bit awkward cranking the handles at the bottom like that?

David Ragan
12-26-2014, 7:55 AM
I think it would be clumsy to try and do a panel glue-up that way and for me, a guy with propensity to use extra glue, just to be sure, the glue drips would go right on to the face of the panels. Just my 2c. Now, if you were to hinge it to the wall somehow and still be able to assemble everything laying flat ...

that is a great idea!

What about the old "rub joint" I think I read about somewhere. Back in the prior centuries, they just stacked the boards vertically, and the weight of them held?

Mark W Pugh
12-26-2014, 9:56 AM
that is a great idea!

What about the old "rub joint" I think I read about somewhere. Back in the prior centuries, they just stacked the boards vertically, and the weight of them held?

That brings up an interesting concept. With modern glues, how much clamping pressure is REALLY needed? Do we tend to use too much clamp pressure?

David Ragan
12-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I had Plano clamps for years. They worked pretty well if you took some care in getting edges aligned before tightening.

Yes, that is exactly it! Plano for $349. It is great, though, cause it also acts as a caul.

Once I typed in 'vertical' the results came in.

Kinda pricey. Maybe for my birthday in March.

Harvey Miller
12-26-2014, 12:32 PM
That brings up an interesting concept. With modern glues, how much clamping pressure is REALLY needed? Do we tend to use too much clamp pressure?

Fine Woodworking did an blog/article on this (issue #194, Blog May 11, 2010). Maple needs 1,200 lb/sq. in. flatsawn, Oak 900 lb/sq. in. Pine 150 lb/sq. in. etc. for best results. They also found the 'average woodworker' can crank 1,050 pounds pressure on a 3/4" pipe clamp.

Bill Ryall
12-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Bill, that's a pretty slick idea, but isn't a bit awkward cranking the handles at the bottom like that?
My shop is being dismantled and packed for a move, but I did assemble temporarily for the last piece that is coming out of this shop. No problem at all. Mine has the handles just a little higher than the pic, and I didn't find it at all awkward.

Michael Heffernan
12-26-2014, 8:58 PM
If you really want to get the Plano vertical press clamp system, Peachtree woodworking sells their version call PanelMax. I believe they are virtually the same. If you have a 'Woodworking Show' near you, you can pick up a set at the Peachtree booth for $199, or a least that's what they sold them for the past couple of years.
I have two sets I bought at the last two shows. I used them for a while, but don't feel that they register panel glue ups as well as my shop made wood cauls. They are currently sitting in my shop loft, unused.

Yes, that is exactly it! Plano for $349. It is great, though, cause it also acts as a caul.

Michael Heffernan
12-26-2014, 9:01 PM
Hey David,
Look at this. The Woodworking Show is in Atlanta the beginning of March.
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/webapp-shows/Atlanta
Happy Birthday!

David Ragan
12-27-2014, 6:15 AM
If you really want to get the Plano vertical press clamp system, Peachtree woodworking sells their version call PanelMax. I believe they are virtually the same. If you have a 'Woodworking Show' near you, you can pick up a set at the Peachtree booth for $199, or a least that's what they sold them for the past couple of years.

I just checked, Peachtree WW is the same price.

Michael Heffernan
12-27-2014, 8:49 AM
I just checked, Peachtree WW is the same price.

Their regular retail price is $349, but they discount them at the WW Shows for $199. Worth the wait if you really want a set.

Dan Rude
12-27-2014, 2:28 PM
I have been looking for the plans that were in WWJ a few years ago. It was a setup for gluing up flat panels using pipe clamps and some angle iron with clamps to create flat panels. I am unable to locate it now though. I will keep looking for it though. Dan

J.R. Rutter
12-27-2014, 2:40 PM
Here is the only pic that I can find of mine. These were audiophile amp stands where the designer spec'd ebony in specific locations to support spikes or ball bearings or something and wanted a mix of maple and jatoba with varying grain orientation to trap vibrations(!). Amazingly, they stayed together from what I have heard. They were destined for use with systems that ranged over $100,000 for stereo...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6FF9D26A1mM/VJ8KRnIMHZI/AAAAAAAAG0k/NHplZPzLmuE/s1280/plano.jpg

Phil Thien
12-27-2014, 6:26 PM
Here is the only pic that I can find of mine. These were audiophile amp stands where the designer spec'd ebony in specific locations to support spikes or ball bearings or something and wanted a mix of maple and jatoba with varying grain orientation to trap vibrations(!). Amazingly, they stayed together from what I have heard. They were destined for use with systems that ranged over $100,000 for stereo...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6FF9D26A1mM/VJ8KRnIMHZI/AAAAAAAAG0k/NHplZPzLmuE/s1280/plano.jpg

Gotta love audio nuts.

David Ragan
12-27-2014, 6:51 PM
Hey David,
Look at this. The Woodworking Show is in Atlanta the beginning of March.
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/webapp-shows/Atlanta
Happy Birthday!

Thanks Michael, et al, i had no idea😀 they would go to $199-and it is just 30 minutes away! I will let you know

Frank Martin
12-28-2014, 1:31 AM
I have a set of Plano and a set of Peachtree. Other than the handles, they are indeed identical and I ilke the Peachtree handles better as they are fixed.

David Ragan
12-29-2014, 8:03 AM
Does the set up of Plano system require me to be ocd about the vertical bars being exactly flush/straight w wall and each other?

Frank Martin
12-29-2014, 8:36 PM
Does the set up of Plano system require me to be ocd about the vertical bars being exactly flush/straight w wall and each other?

I use them as individual clamp to serve as cauls, so I would not call it ocd at all and the outcome has been great.

Mark W Pugh
12-31-2014, 7:35 AM
Check out the classified forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225626-Three-larger-items-will-deliver-to-Baltimore-wood-show-this-weekend

J.R. Rutter
12-31-2014, 11:57 AM

Sort of? It is very easy to do this. The top end of the clamps is a channel that mounts to a strip attached to the wall. I forget the exact dimensions, but it needs to be deep enough for the top clamp to pivot up and back for loading boards. Then just mount a strip along the bottom that is a bit wider (to make up the difference of the channel and guides up top) and parallel to the top strip. I just mounted the top and used blocks under the bottom strip to both space it off the floor and act as the contact points to the wall. Just get it all aligned, with the spacers in contact with the wall, and put a few screws through the bottom strip into the blocks. You can make it out in my pic if you are looking for it.

Chris Fairbanks
01-01-2015, 5:05 AM
I had a Plano setup for a few years but ultimately sold it as it was a hassle to use in my opinion and I felt it did not give that much downward force on the faces of the boards. I went back to my bessy clamps and for a while was using some jointed hardwood with wax paper if I needed to keep a panel flat. Then wood pecker did a short run on some aluminum bar clamps and I picked up two sets of them. They work great but it looks like they are not making them right now. One last thing is the Plano chews up a lot of wall space so if you are limited in space as I was it might not be the best options. Good luck. http://www.woodpeck.com/flatbars.html

Marius Titulescu
09-17-2015, 8:33 AM
Same here. They're also quite affordable.