PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Bun Feet

George Bokros
12-24-2014, 3:33 PM
I purchased some bun feet for a bathroom vanity I am building since I do not have a lathe. They are fairly smooth but I would like to sand them to get them to 180 grit finish. As I said i do not have a lathe so I don't really have a way to spin them as I would if I made them on my own lathe. Looking for ideas on how to sand them. I could sand around the circumference but a lot of that would be across grain and we all know you don't sand cross grain. I guess when you spin them on a lathe you are really sanding cross grain anyway, so does it matter?

Thanks

Paul Stoops
12-24-2014, 3:38 PM
Assuming they are round, I would thread a bolt or stud or even a screw with the head cut off into the center of the mounting end and spin them on my drill press. If you don't have a drill press, you could mount a hand drill in a stand or a vise and spin them that way for sanding.

Paul in Auburn, WA

George Bokros
12-24-2014, 3:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Paul. Yes they are round. The center is well defined from the centers used to turn them. Think I will drill them and screw in a hanger bolt and chuck it in my drill press and sand them on a fairly high speed. I just don't want to split them, they are oak so need to be careful and us the right sized drill bit for the hole.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2014, 4:02 PM
George...I think you have the right plan!

Larry Frank
12-24-2014, 4:34 PM
You could use a mop sander. I use one on my drill press all the time for sanding parts for the scroll saw projects. They are great for irregularly shaped things.